[net.politics] schools, education, ...

jhull@spp2.UUCP (01/09/85)

In article <558@unmvax.UUCP> cliff@unmvax.UUCP writes:
>...To make teaching fun again there should be
>more expulsions of unruly students.  I am sure that such a measure would do
>more to bring up the overall level of education of each student than any
>other element of integration, whether it be racial or fiscal.  If Joe Thug gets
>expelled, he can come back later when he decides he really wants an education.

Every time (that I know of) that this has been tried, there has been
such an outcry that it has been stopped.  It seems that most of the
students so expelled are [minority, poor, ...] and, so the argument
goes, the expulsions were yet another ploy to deny the benefits of
education to [minority, poor, ...].  Truth is, the [minority, poor,
...] who were expelled were unruly.  I think this is because they have
role models who [reject any authority figures, put down the value of
education, ...], but I have no real basis for such a belief (It is
intuitively obvious ... :-)   ).

--
					Blessed Be,

 					Jeff Hull
 ihnp4!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!jhull		13817 Yukon Ave.
					Hawthorne, CA 90250