[net.politics] housing projects

colonel@gloria.UUCP (12/26/84)

> people who moved into the project.  The dorms and apartments occupied
> by many Ga Tech students were significantly worse than the newly
> finished project.  Less than 4 years from the time the project was
> turned over to the poor it was intended for, it was a slum.  The
> people who moved in were not willing to live a middle America
> lifestyle, EVEN WHEN IT WAS GIVEN TO THEM FOR FREE.

It takes more than amenities to make a housing project good to live in.
See the research of Jane Jacobs and her school of sociologists.  If a
middle-class lifestyle means you can't go out on the porch and chat
with passing neighbors, it's no wonder that people don't want it.

And it takes more than housing to make a lifestyle.  If you don't have
the money, you'll probably have to put up with bad food, bad air, bad
clothing, bad schools, and bad working conditions.  And, consequently,
bad tempers.

I concede that poverty is a tradition in SOME families.  But don't
blame all the poor till you've walked in their shoes.
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...seismo!rochester!rocksanne!rocksvax!sunybcs!gloria!colonel

jhull@spp2.UUCP (01/09/85)

In article <744@gloria.UUCP> colonel@gloria.UUCP (George Sicherman) writes:
>It takes more than amenities to make a housing project good to live in.
>...  >And it takes more than housing to make a lifestyle...
>
>I concede that poverty is a tradition in SOME families.  But don't
>blame all the poor till you've walked in their shoes.
I don't blame all the poor.  Only those who don't take advantage of
what opportunities they do have.  Only those who are on public support
for generation after generation.  I HAVE been poor and I have never
taken public support and I'm proud of that.  I am 36 and of the 18
years since I left my parents' home, I have been below the poverty
line for 9.  4 of those as an enlisted man in the Air Force, 2 as an
undergraduate at Georgia Tech, 3 as a graduate student at the
University of Tennessee.  Note that while I was in the Air Force, I
was fully employeed yet still below the poverty line.  And before
anyone flames me about "service related benefits" and "subsidized
housing", check it out.  Base housing is only available to higher
ranking NCO's and the housing allowance doesn't come anywhere close to
covering the cost of an apartment.

--
					Blessed Be,

 					Jeff Hull
 ihnp4!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!jhull		13817 Yukon Ave.
					Hawthorne, CA 90250