[net.politics] Killing Styles

paul@phs.UUCP (01/02/85)

Re: murder by different weapons in different countries:

I haven't been following the handgun business in net.politics much
(indeed, I haven't been following net.politics much at all, lately),
so the following may be redundant in parts. Sorry if this is so.

An interesting article about gun control is one by D.B. Kates, Jr.
(1981. Gun control: Can it work? National Review 33 (9): 540-542.)
Among other points touched upon by this article is the cultural
factor:

     "...prohibitionists abruptly stopped referring to England
     in 1971 with the appearance from Cambridge University of
     the first in-depth study of that country's handgun-permit
     law. This Cambridge study attributes England's comparatively
     low violence wholly to cultural factors, pointing out that
     until 1920 England had far fewer gun controls than most
     American states. Yet England had far less violence then than
     did those states or than England now has. Those who blame
     greater handgun availability for our greater rates of
     handgun homicide ignore the fact that rates of murder with
     knives or without any weapon (i.e., with hands and feet)
     are also far lower in England. The study's author has asked
     rhetorically whether it is claimed that knives are less
     available in England than in the U.S. or that the English have
     fewer hands and feet than Americans..."

     "European comparisons would be incomplete without mention of
     Switzerland, where violence rates are very low though every
     man of military age is required to own a handgun or fully
     automatic rifle. Israeli violence is similarly low, though
     the populace is even more intensively armed. The comparison
     to handgun-banning Japan's low homicide rate is plainly
     inappropriate because of our totally different culture and
     heritage and our substantial ethnic heterogeneity. (The only
     valid comparison reinforces the irrelevancy of gun bans: it
     is that Japanese-Americans, with full access to handguns, have
     a slightly lower homicide rate than their gunless counterparts
     in Japan.) An appropriate comparison to Japan might be Taiwan.
     Despite even more stringent anti-hangun laws, it has a homicide
     rate greater than ours and four times greater than Japan's."

There is more meat in this article, which I leave to the interested
reader. It is apparent that this author seems to have been looking
at somewhat different statistics than have been cited on the net
lately, though clearly some of the confusion arises from data on
incidence vs. rate, etc. No numbers in this brief article; however,
he is also the author of a book which might be informative ("Restricting
Handguns: The Liberal Skeptics Speak Out") and another book in the
works was mentioned.

For now, let me close by citing Kates's own description of
himself, for the benefit of those who feel inclined to disregard
any article appearing in National Review as being necessarily
politically biased: "First, far from representing the 'gun lobby,'
I am a liberal criminologist with a background in civil-rights
law, and a teacher of constitutional and criminal law and criminal
procedure. Unlike those who typically oppose gun bans, I did not
grow up with guns. I am happy to say that neither I nor the rest
of my family has ever hunted. Nor am I going to espouse the Second
Amendment right to keep and bear arms, or argue that people should
own handguns for protection. Assuming that gun owners are completely
wrong on those issues, two more basic questions remain. 1). Can we
disarm the millions who believe that they have both constitutional
right and urgent necessity for a handgun to protect their families?
2) Do the likely benefits of trying to disarm them outweigh the
likely costs?"

Regards, Paul Dolber @ DUMC (...duke!phs!paul).

pal@crystal.UUCP (01/03/85)

> [From Paul Dolber]
> Re: murder by different weapons in different countries:
> [...]
>
> An interesting article about gun control is one by D.B. Kates, Jr.
> (1981. Gun control: Can it work? National Review 33 (9): 540-542.)
> Among other points touched upon by this article is the cultural
> factor:
>
>      ".... Those who blame
>      greater handgun availability for our greater rates of
>      handgun homicide ignore the fact that rates of murder with
>      knives or without any weapon (i.e., with hands and feet)
>      are also far lower in England. The study's author has asked
>      rhetorically whether it is claimed that knives are less
>      available in England than in the U.S. or that the English have
>      fewer hands and feet than Americans..."
This is as blatant a distortion of fact as I have seen, and I've seen a few.
Of course the knife murder rate is lower in Britain. *All* murder rates are
lower in Britain.  But the firearm death rate is lower *EVEN TAKING INTO
ACCOUNT THE OVERALL LOWER MURDER RATE*.
Whereas 65% of US homicides are committed with guns, only about 10% of those in
Britain are.
*Effective* restriction of handgun availability *will* reduce the gun death
rate.
The obvious counter is to ask whether the *overall* homicide rate will change,
or whether those who would have been killed with guns will now be killed with
knives (or fists, or..).  The analyses I have seen (see my posting
<386@crystal.UUCP> for details, show that gun attacks are 4-6 times as likely
to be fatal as are knife attacks, and about 10 times as lethal as fist
attacks.

>      "European comparisons would be incomplete without mention of
>      Switzerland, where violence rates are very low though every
>      man of military age is required to own a handgun or fully
>      automatic rifle. Israeli violence is similarly low, though
Again, not the whole truth.  As mentioned previously on the net, the ammunition
for the Swiss weapons has to be stored in sealed boxes, which are subject to
inspection.  To turn the question around, does anybody have figures (Katz seems
to have an aversion to them, and not without reason) for the percentage of gun
homicides in Switzerland?  Perhaps Switzerland *does* have higher proportion of
gun deaths than other European countries.  If guns were not available, more of
the victims would have survived, and the overall homicide rate would be lower
still.

I will concede that cultural differences make valid comparisons difficult.
Comparisons like those made by Katz are highly simplified and just plain
misleading.  The books I have read (references available on request, or see
some of my earlier postings) seem to converge to the statement that guns
	"Probably have no effect on overall crime rates, but do increase the
	severity of crimes committed, and change their distribution"

I cannot speak for NRA members, but I would rather have my hubcaps stolen than
be shot.

Anil Pal
U. of Wisconsin-Madison

jhull@spp2.UUCP (01/09/85)

In article <389@crystal.UUCP> pal@crystal.UUCP writes:
>I cannot speak for NRA members, but I would rather have my hubcaps stolen than
>be shot.
>Anil Pal

I speak for (one) NRA member.  I would rather have my hubcaps stolen
than be shot.

And I still won't give up my guns.

--
					Blessed Be,

 					Jeff Hull
 ihnp4!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!jhull		13817 Yukon Ave.
					Hawthorne, CA 90250