[net.politics] Milo's

nxs@fluke.UUCP (Bruce Golub) (12/21/84)

The following is an example of superior american logic, Milo Medin style:

>    From medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) Sun Nov 11 11:23:38 1984

>    ....if the USSR puts MiG 21's in there, I fully expect someone like the
>    22nd Bomb Wing to go in and take out the MiG's, the runways, the base,
>    and hopefully even a few helicopters...

Well I just spoke with the kremlin and informed them about the correctness
of american logic (specifically, Milo-Logic). They took my message to heart
and thanked me profusely for their elucidation on tricky matters such as
these. Now they understand that it is not only correct, but imperitive that
they bomb W. Germany, England, and the other Commonwealth Nations that have
so recently recieved shipments of Cruise and Purshing missiles fom the U.S.

Now, for those of you who still have the ability to think, let us discuss
the issues:

    The administration has finally admitted that there is no edvidance of
    MiG fighters in Nicaraugua.

    The Nicarauguains have an imported revolution on their hands, which is
    supported by the American Govenment (not to be confused with the
    American Public). The US justification for the export of revolution to
    Nicaraugua is that Nicaraugua is smuggling arms to rebels in El
    Salvedor. The US has not been able to verify this claim since sometime
    in 1980.

    The Russians are not SUPPLYING MiG Fighters to Nicaraugua. Nicaraugua is
    asking for military assistance to eradicate the american-backed
    freedom(sic) fighters (where else are they going to get assistance from,
    the US?). The response from Russia has been in the form of helicopters
    (BTW: These helicopters do not have a long-range capabilty) and small
    munitions.

    I do not believe the Russians should supply the Nicarauguain Military. I
    also believe that we should immediatly withdrawl our support of the
    Contras and actively help Nicaraugua to remove all presence of them from
    THEIR country. After that, I believe that the US Goverment should
    provide financial and technological assistance to the Democratly-Elected
    Goverment of Nicaraugua thus preventing the sphere of russian influence
    from spreading.

Bruce Golub
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (12/27/84)

In article <2019@vax4.fluke.UUCP> nxs@fluke.UUCP (Bruce Golub) writes:
>    ... I believe that the US Goverment should
>    provide financial and technological assistance to the Democratly-Elected
>    Goverment of Nicaraugua thus preventing the sphere of russian influence
>    from spreading.

  Democraticaly elected government ??. What a naive thought !!. How can anyone
call those elections democratic ?. The opposition in Nicaragua didn't have
the same media coverage as the government did. All the media is government
owned except for one newspaper - "La Prensa".
  Did you know that this newspaper has to send to the censorship office its
daily edition before it can be published ?. Every day about half of the
newspaper articles are censored and banned from being published.
  Just like in the USSR, the people read, see and hear what their government
wants them to know, nothing else. The Nicaraguan government is a Marxist-
Leninist dictatorship, let's call it by its name.
  If you think the Nicaraguan government will ever allow press freedom (or
any other basic freedom most of you take for granted), you're being very
naive.
  If we don't act now and do whatever we can to throw them out, we'll be
sorry for a long time as we see country by country in Central America
falling to Marxism. By then, it'll be too late.
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell

mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) (12/29/84)

>   Democraticaly elected government ??. What a naive thought !!. How can anyone
> call those elections democratic ?. The opposition in Nicaragua didn't have
> the same media coverage as the government did. All the media is government
> owned except for one newspaper - "La Prensa".
Hmmm, let me get this straight, if there is systematic denial of access to the
media for opposition viewpoints and candidates then we don't have a denocratically elected government?

I think our institutionalised two party system fails this test.

*** REPLACE THIS SYSTEM WITH YOUR SELF ***

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/02/85)

In article <251@enmasse.UUCP> mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) writes:

>> The opposition in Nicaragua didn't have
>> the same media coverage as the government did. All the media is government
>> owned except for one newspaper - "La Prensa".
>Hmmm, let me get this straight, if there is systematic denial of access to the
>media for opposition viewpoints and candidates then we don't have a denocratically elected government?
>
>I think our institutionalised two party system fails this test.

The point is that democratic elections mean more than just being able to vote
for whoever you want. In addition, your vote has to be secret (nobody should
know whom did you vote for) AND well informed (you should be aware of all
choices and every candidate should have the right to express his ideas
equally).
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (01/07/85)

A Simple Twist ....
> In article <2019@vax4.fluke.UUCP> nxs@fluke.UUCP (Bruce Golub) writes:
> >    ... I believe that the US Goverment should
> >    provide financial and technological assistance to the Democratly-Elected
> >    Goverment of El Salvador . . .
>
>   Democraticaly elected government ??. What a naive thought !!. How can anyone
> call those elections democratic ?. The opposition in El Salvador didn't have
> the same media coverage as the government did.
>   Did you know that this newspaper has to send to the censorship office its
> daily edition before it can be published ?. Every day about half of the
> newspaper articles are censored and banned from being published.
>   Just like in the USA, the people read, see and hear what their government
> wants them to know, nothing else. The Salvadoran government is a Capitalist-
> Fascist dictatorship, let's call it by its name.
>   If you think the Salvadoran government will ever allow press freedom (or
> any other basic freedom most of you take for granted), you're being very
> naive.
>   If we don't act now and do whatever we can to throw them out, we'll be
> sorry for a long time as we see country by country in Central America
> falling to Fascism. By then, it'll be too late.
> --
>     Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
>     ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell

NOTE: the above are the true statements of the original authors, only the
names have been changed to malign the guilty.....

      tim sevener  whuxl!orb

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/09/85)

--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/09/85)

Trying to compare the situation in El Salvador with that in Nicaragua
is nonsense. To those who still think the Nicaraguan government is not
really a Marxixst-Leninist dictatorship, let me tell you this:
  SIN (The spanish TV network) has a program every sunday called "Temas
y Debates" (Topics and Debates), a spanish version of "Face the Nation"
or "Meet the press".
  On the last program, one of the invited guests was the former director
of "La Prensa", the one and only opposition newspaper in Nicaragua. He
explained what censorship was. How he had to take the entire newspaper
every day to the censorship office where a lot of articles were banned.
We're not talking about articles against the Sandinista regime, just news
reports that the Sandinistas didn't want their people to hear about.
  He explained how the 1st grade students in school learn the ABC:
For example when they get to the letter F, where they used to have "Flor"
(Flower) with a picture of a flower, the offical school book now has
"Fusil" (rifle), with a rifle picture. For the letter P, they have "Plaza"
(plaza, town square) with a picture of people in a plaza holding banners
supporting the Sandinistas.
  To teach them how to count, they don't use apples or oranges any more.
They use rifles.
  These is for 7 year old kids. You get the picture. With the help of the
thousands of cuban teachers and advisors they are brain-washing their people
from a very young age.
  The Salvadorian government offered every opposition group including
the guerillas to participate in the elections. They didn't because they knew
they would loose big since the majority of the people support their
government.
  They were offered equal time media coverage. Did the Sandinistas do
the same ???