[net.politics] Don't restrict MY access to handguns just because

davidl@tekig.UUCP (David Levadie) (12/22/84)

someone ELSE can't be trusted with them.  Don't put restraints on the
innocent for the acts of the guilty.

By my observation, the people who want handgun control are generally
the same ones who are against locking criminals up and throwing away the
key, against allowing private citizens to defend themselves and/or their
property with deadly force, and generally in favor of disallowing individual
rights and turning over to the state the responsibility for anything they
themselves are unable to deal with.  Characteristically they have never owned
a handgun, know nothing about them, are terrified of being attacked, and
want their Mommy to protect them from any such eventuality...

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (12/24/84)

>By my observation, the people who want handgun control are generally
>the same ones who are against locking criminals up and throwing away the
>key, against allowing private citizens to defend themselves and/or their
>property with deadly force, ...

Dead right!  And in a democracy, we SHOULD be against those things.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

jcp@brl-tgr.ARPA (Joe Pistritto <jcp>) (12/27/84)

Please explain to me why 'in a Democracy' we should be against:

1) Locking up criminals

2) Protecting personal property with deadly force (meaning a person's
   home, as opposed to, say, a car)

						-JCP-

myunive@nsc.UUCP (Jay Zelitzky) (12/30/84)

In article <6788@brl-tgr.ARPA> jcp@brl-tgr.ARPA (Joe Pistritto <jcp>) writes:
 >Please explain to me why 'in a Democracy' we should be against:
 >
 >2) Protecting personal property with deadly force (meaning a person's
 >   home, as opposed to, say, a car)
 >
 >						-JCP-

	I am tired of people confusing the meaning of Democracy.
First we do not have a Democracy, we have a Republic.  A Democracy
would mean that everyone voted on all issues, a Republic means
we elect representatives who decide for us.
	Second in spite of what the NRA or others might believe a Republic
in no way guarantees the right of people to private property or to
protect their private property.  A Republic gives peope the right to elect their
government.  That is all.
	The only protection that the constitution
puts on private property is that it may not be taken without due process
of law.  There is nothing in the idea of a republic or even the constitution
of the United States that states that private property and the right to
protect it is a basic right.

	One thing that is interesting about guns and crime is that the
crime rate does appear to be related to the number of people that have
guns to defend themselves against criminals,  the more extensive ownership
of guns is the higher the crime rate.  This can be particularly seen in
the American south where ownership of guns is rampant and the crime rate is
the highest in the country. The American South also has far and away the highest
homicide rates in the U. S..
	It is interested that no one can give any examples of countries
without gun control who have a low crime rate.  One of the few countries
which had no enforceable gun controll laws was Lebanon.  Of course they
had no gun control laws because they had no government but still we
saw what happened to them.
	I renew the challenge for anyone to name a country without any
gun controll laws that has a low crime rate.  I would be interested in
examples of other countries that don't have gun controll laws.  I don't
know of any off hand.
				Jay
				{hplabs,ihnp4,decwrl}!nsc!myunive

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (12/31/84)

>Please explain to me why 'in a Democracy' we should be against:
>
>1) Locking up criminals
>
>2) Protecting personal property with deadly force (meaning a person's
>   home, as opposed to, say, a car)
>
>                                                -JCP-

This is a question in the form of a misquote.  The original said
something like "locking up criminals and throwing away the key."

If you need explanation as to why we should be opposed to the corrected
form of (1), and to (2), your idea of democracy has little in common with
mine.  You hint at a world I wouldn't want to live in.

(1) Presupposes that a person either IS or IS NOT a criminal.
Until convicted ONCE, the person IS NOT.  Thereafter s/he IS, and
thereby loses all right to be treated as a person.

(2) The death penalty for theft was abolished long ago in most jurisdictions.
I prefer that it be imposed only after due consideration by a court
and for the most serious of crimes (actually, I prefer it not to be
imposed at all).  I do not accept that any person has the right to
condemn another to death for any reason other than personal self-protection,
and then only if it is the only way to achieve that protection.

In a democracy, arguments are handled by dsicussion, and if necessary
arbitration, not by killing the opposition.

In a democracy, people are considered to be still people, even though
they may break the rules sometimes.

Your democracy is not mine; but let's argue, not fight about it.
--

ajlill@watrose.UUCP (ajlill) (01/01/85)

In article <2130@nsc.UUCP> myunive@nsc.UUCP (Jay Zelitzky) writes:
>	One thing that is interesting about guns and crime is that the
>crime rate does appear to be related to the number of people that have
>guns to defend themselves against criminals,  the more extensive ownership
>of guns is the higher the crime rate.  This can be particularly seen in
>the American south where ownership of guns is rampant and the crime rate is
>the highest in the country. The American South also has far and away the highest
>homicide rates in the U. S..

	You seem to be implying that ownership of handguns leads to crime.
(If not, I apologise, however this delusion seems to be rampant in
supporters of handgun control).  This is a completely unsupportable conclusion.
And is in fact, counter-intuitive.

One thing that has always bothered me is that those who support handgun
control seem to think that it will magicly cut the crime rate.  This is a
bogus conclusion. It will make all honest, law-abiding citizens get rid of
their handguns. But the people who commit crimes are CRIMINALS. They don't
care about your law. If they want a gun, they will get one. Drug laws have
not eliminated junkies, and similarly, handgun laws will not eliminate
(or even slow down ) crime. In fact, you will just create a great new
money-making enterprise for the Mob.

--
			Tony Lill
			539 Grand Valley Dr.

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (01/02/85)

>   You seem to be implying that ownership of handguns leads to crime.
>(If not, I apologise, however this delusion seems to be rampant in
>supporters of handgun control).  This is a completely unsupportable conclusion.
>And is in fact, counter-intuitive.
>
>One thing that has always bothered me is that those who support handgun
>control seem to think that it will magicly cut the crime rate.  This is a
>bogus conclusion. It will make all honest, law-abiding citizens get rid of
>their handguns. But the people who commit crimes are CRIMINALS. They don't
>care about your law. If they want a gun, they will get one. Drug laws have
>not eliminated junkies, and similarly, handgun laws will not eliminate
>(or even slow down ) crime. In fact, you will just create a great new
>money-making enterprise for the Mob.
>

>--
>                        Tony Lill
>                      539 Grand Valley Dr.
>                        Cambridge, Ont., Canada

I haven't seen anyone argue that owning handguns leads the owner to crime.
The argument is usually that easy handgun ownership leads to more people
being killed, (especially by guns).

Your analogy between gun-control and drug-control leading to Mafia profits
is improper.  One of the leading problems in drug usage is that drugs are
addicting.  Are you claiming that once one owns a handgun, one has to have
another every day/week/month?  A lot of the pressure for people to use drugs
comes from addicts who need to become pushers (or thieves) in order to
support their habit.  If drugs were legal, there would not be this pressure
on non-addicts to become users.  If handguns were illegal, there would be
no pressure for owners to persuade others to become owners.  You are lucky
enough to live in a jurisdiction where handgun ownership IS illegal, and
you are in much less danger of being killed than is someone in much of the
US.  Let them worry about their problem, and don't help them export it here!
--

shallit@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Jeff Shallit) (01/02/85)

In article <> ajlill@watrose.UUCP () writes:

>	You seem to be implying that ownership of handguns leads to crime.
>(If not, I apologise, however this delusion seems to be rampant in
>supporters of handgun control).  This is a completely unsupportable conclusion.
>And is in fact, counter-intuitive.

    It's no delusion -- look at the statistics at the District of Columbia
report that shows that the crime rate and homicide rate declined
drastically after handgun control was instituted.

     Similar, though less dramatic results, were reported in Massachusetts
after handgun control was instituted.

>One thing that has always bothered me is that those who support handgun
>control seem to think that it will magicly cut the crime rate.  This is a
>bogus conclusion. It will make all honest, law-abiding citizens get rid of
>their handguns. But the people who commit crimes are CRIMINALS. They don't
>care about your law. If they want a gun, they will get one. Drug laws have
>not eliminated junkies, and similarly, handgun laws will not eliminate
>(or even slow down ) crime. In fact, you will just create a great new
>money-making enterprise for the Mob.

     One thing that has always bothered me about the gun nuts is that they
are always bringing up the ``honest, law-abiding citizen'' ploy.  The
fact is that over 50% of handgun homicides occur between acquaintances,
e. g. husband-wife, father-son, etc.  The fact is that the people who
really suffer from widespread handgun ownership is the honest, law-abiding
citizen.

     It has been proven by several studies, including Zimring, that
ownership of a gun in a home is 5 times more likely to kill a member
of that household than to foil an intruder.  So explain how a handgun
is really a means of protection.

     Before you make such unsubstantiated claims, why not read the
literature?

/Jeff Shallit

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (01/03/85)

> One thing that has always bothered me is that those who support handgun
> control seem to think that it will magicly cut the crime rate.  This is a
> bogus conclusion. It will make all honest, law-abiding citizens get rid of
> their handguns. But the people who commit crimes are CRIMINALS. They don't
> care about your law. If they want a gun, they will get one. Drug laws have
> not eliminated junkies, and similarly, handgun laws will not eliminate
> (or even slow down ) crime. In fact, you will just create a great new
> money-making enterprise for the Mob.

If nothing else, handgun control would cut back on accidental deaths, and
homocides committed by people who are not criminals, but just have a bad
temper. As for the argument, "If handguns are outlawed then only outlaws
will have handguns", at least then we will be able to find the outlaws
more easily, won't we?  If posession of a handgun were a felony, then it
would be a lot easier to convict people who have committed crimes with
guns, especially if there isn't much evidence besides the gun.

	Wayne

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (01/04/85)

We still seem to be confused by what "democracy" and "republic" mean.

Democracy means, simply, rule of the people.  Any society which
conducts polling in order to fill its offices, make its laws, etc., is
a democracy.  Some may be direct (i.e. having the people vote policy
issues up or down) or indirect (i.e. representative, with elected
officials determining policy).  The ballot box is the distinguishing
characteristic of democracy.

A republic is any government which is ruled by law, rather than the
whim of any group of people, except when that whim is unopposed by
law.  A judicial system is the hallmark of a republic.

Most modern democracies are actually representative democratic
republics, where policy decisions are made by elected officials
restricted by a code of law.  Ancient Athens (if we conveniently
ignore its slaves) was a direct democratic republic.  Ancient Israel
was an undemocratic republic, where policy was made without requiring
popular support, but demanding respect for law.  The rise to power of
the Nazis in Weimar Germany produced (for a short period) an
unrepublican democracy (representative), where elected officials made
policy without regard for law.  Finally, there are many states which
are neither democratic nor republican.

					David Rubin

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (01/04/85)

>  As for the argument, "If handguns are outlawed then only outlaws
> will have handguns", at least then we will be able to find the outlaws
> more easily, won't we?

    Sure.  All we have to do is to stop everyone and search all of their
possessions.  The ones with the guns are the outlaws.  What?  The consti-
tution says we can't just search everyone?

>  If posession of a handgun were a felony, then it
> would be a lot easier to convict people who have committed crimes with
> guns, especially if there isn't much evidence besides the gun.
>       Wayne

    Well, considering that commission of a crime while in possession of a gun
is ALREADY a felony, I really don't see how you draw this conclusion.

    Why not just enforce the laws already on the books, and toughen up the
penalties for crimes involving guns?  Plenty of things which are already
illegal are laughingly easy to obtain.  Why should illegal handguns be any
different?

--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

jca@abnji.UUCP (james armstrong) (01/10/85)

>In article <2130@nsc.UUCP> myunive@nsc.UUCP (Jay Zelitzky) writes:
>>	One thing that is interesting about guns and crime is that the
>>crime rate does appear to be related to the number of people that have
>>guns to defend themselves against criminals,  the more extensive ownership
>>of guns is the higher the crime rate.  This can be particularly seen in
>>the American south where ownership of guns is rampant and the crime rate is
>>the highest in the country. The American South also has far and away the highest
>>homicide rates in the U. S..
>
>	You seem to be implying that ownership of handguns leads to crime.
>(If not, I apologise, however this delusion seems to be rampant in
>supporters of handgun control).  This is a completely unsupportable conclusion.
>And is in fact, counter-intuitive.

Actually, the way it sounded to me was that the availability of handguns
leads to crime.  Silly me to misunderstand!
--
She dreams of 1969
					Before the soldiers came