[net.politics] Harold Brown and the arms race: "Unacceptable Casualties"

kevin@lasspvax.UUCP (Kevin Saunders) (01/10/85)

In article <> david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) writes:
>Tony Johnson rightly points out that the USSR's leadership would
>likely "accept" a higher number of casualties than the US would.
>However, the Soviet leaders will not find the destruction of their
>state acceptable, and the Soviet state is far more fragile than ours.

Ditto, from my point of view.  Were it not for the fundamental racism
of the Nazi regime (*very* anti-Slav) and the corollary Gestapo
terrorism against Russians, the Germans might well have succeeded with
the invasion of the SU.  As it was, Stalin was forced to appeal on
behalf of "Mother Russia" to generate enthusiasm for defending the
Soviet state, and it took years, and a lot of penal battalions wasted
in frontal assaults ("don't look back, our guards are leveling the
.50's at us!"), to retake the territories originally netted by the Germans.
This despite the fact that from the beginning, the Soviets possessed
overwhelming numeric advantages in almost every area.

Kevin Eric Saunders
lasspvax.kevin@cornell.arpa