[net.politics] Exactamoondo!

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul Torek) (12/29/84)

From: Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes
> Libertarians also seem to think that freedom is merely the absence of
> coercion.  But it seems to me that freedom must include the means or power
> to effect one's will.  A totally paralyzed person hasn't much freedom,
> even though he isn't coerced.  A poor man is less free than a rich man
> to do what he wants because he lacks means.

As "The Fonz" would say: EXACTAMOONDO!  Freedom *from* coercion, without
freedom *to* do anything, is worthless.  What libertarians want, and
what rational people want, are as different as night and day.

				--The insufferable iconoclast,
				Paul V. Torek, umcp-cs!flink

elron@ihuxl.UUCP (Gary F. York) (12/31/84)

Although I get impatient with those who fill up the first screen
with quotes from previous articles, I think I must do much the
same in fairness to the respective authors.  Fortunately, the
article I'm "excerpting" is brief.

Author 1: Paul V. Torek, umcp-cs!flink    >
responding to
Author 2: Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes  >>

>From: Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes
>> Libertarians also seem to think that freedom is merely the absence of
>> coercion.  But it seems to me that freedom must include the means or power
>> to effect one's will.  A totally paralyzed person hasn't much freedom,
>> even though he isn't coerced.  A poor man is less free than a rich man
>> to do what he wants because he lacks means.

>As "The Fonz" would say: EXACTAMOONDO!  Freedom *from* coercion, without
>freedom *to* do anything, is worthless.  What libertarians want, and
>what rational people want, are as different as night and day.

>				--The insufferable iconoclast,
>				Paul V. Torek, umcp-cs!flink

Let me take this piece by piece. (Insufferable indeed!)

From: Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes
>> Libertarians also seem to think that freedom is merely the absence of
>> coercion. ...

Correct!  My dictionary thinks so too.

>> ....  But it seems to me that freedom must include the means or power
>> to effect one's will. ...

I think the word you are looking for, Richard, unless of course you
INTEND to equivocate, is ability, not freedom.

From the Oxford American Dictionary (1980): Ability ... 1. the quality that
makes an action or process possible, the capacity or power to do something.
2. cleverness, talent.

Substituting ability (in the first sense defined) for freedom and able
for free, the following statements:

>> ....  A totally paralyzed person hasn't much freedom,
>> even though he isn't coerced.  A poor man is less free than a rich man
>> to do what he wants because he lacks means.

become:

 ....  A totally paralyzed person hasn't much ability,
 even though he isn't coerced.  A poor man is less able than a rich man
 to do what he wants because he lacks means.

which is true but tautological.

From: Paul V. Torek, umcp-cs!flink, responding to Richard's statement above.
> ...  Freedom *from* coercion, without freedom *to* do anything, is worthless.

Surely not!

The only restriction libertarians place on all the "freedom to"s is that they
be accomplished without coercion.  You may not achieve your own "freedom to"
at the expense of another's "freedom from".

I can conceive of innumerable things worth doing which do not at all involve
coercing others.  Can't you?

> ....  What libertarians want, and
> what rational people want, are as different as night and day.

Now really, Paul, what do you believe libertarians want?

Libertarians, as libertarians, want this and only this:
	A world where there is broad agreement that the only proper use
	of force is in responding to those who initiate its use.

If this be night, what then is day?

Gary F. York, ihuxl!elron
(312) 979-0981
ix 1b455
Bell Labs
Naperville, Il.

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (12/31/84)

> > ....  What libertarians want, and
> > what rational people want, are as different as night and day.
>
> Now really, Paul, what do you believe libertarians want?
>
> Libertarians, as libertarians, want this and only this:
> 	A world where there is broad agreement that the only proper use
> 	of force is in responding to those who initiate its use.
>
> If this be night, what then is day?

What I have trouble with is why, out of all the possible "basic goods"
people could want, libertarians seem to have a fixation for freedom
from force.  Whenever a philosophical position claims that one thing
is an absolute good, to be followed to the exclusion of everything
else, I think that this shows there is something fundamentally wrong
with it. What is wrong with saying, "coercion only in a few cases where
the situation justifies it"? Or, "coercion only when the majority
opinion is in favor of it"?

	Wayne

renner@uiucdcs.UUCP (01/02/85)

>>  Libertarians also seem to think that freedom is merely the absence of
>>  coercion.  But it seems to me that freedom must include the means or power
>>  to effect one's will.  A totally paralyzed person hasn't much freedom,
>>  even though he isn't coerced.  A poor man is less free than a rich man
>>  to do what he wants because he lacks means.
>>  			-- Richard Carnes (carnes@gargoyle)

>  As "The Fonz" would say: EXACTAMOONDO!  Freedom *from* coercion, without
>  freedom *to* do anything, is worthless.  What libertarians want, and
>  what rational people want, are as different as night and day.
>				   -- Paul V. Torek (flink@umcp-cs)

Have a look at a dictionary.  You will find that "freedom" and "liberty"
are defined as the ability to choose without coercion.  The means to effect
one's will is better defined as "wealth" in this context.

It doesn't make sense to include wealth in the definition of freedom.
Who's to decide how much wealth is required?  What if I decide that I need
a new BMW each month to be free?  Is the car dealer oppressing me when he
refuses to hand me the keys?  Abraham Lincoln couldn't buy a television set
or ride a plane to Washington, and I can; was he less "free" than I?

Scott Renner
{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!renner

renner@uiucdcs.UUCP (01/03/85)

>  What I have trouble with is why, out of all the possible "basic goods"
>  people could want, libertarians seem to have a fixation for freedom
>  from force.  Whenever a philosophical position claims that one thing
>  is an absolute good, to be followed to the exclusion of everything
>  else, I think that this shows there is something fundamentally wrong
>  with it. What is wrong with saying, "coercion only in a few cases where
>  the situation justifies it"? Or, "coercion only when the majority
>  opinion is in favor of it"?
>  				-- Wayne (faustus@ucbcad)

I have trouble with Wayne's belief in the magical properties of the
majority.  If I wish to skip church when the majority thinks everyone
should attend, why should I be forced to comply?  If I wish to speak of
Marxism when the majority follows John Birch, why must I be thrown in jail?
If I wish to treat my cancer with apricot pits when the majority believes
this to be useless, why should I be constrained?

I say that each person should choose for himself so long as his choices do
not harm another.  Then if you believe that others should behave in a
certain way, you are free to *convince* them.  Not coerce.

I hold this to be an "absolute good" because in a system where every person
is free, all other goods can be obtained if people agree that they want
them.  This is not true in other systems.

Scott Renner
{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!renner

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (01/05/85)

> >  What I have trouble with is why, out of all the possible "basic goods"
> >  people could want, libertarians seem to have a fixation for freedom
> >  from force.  Whenever a philosophical position claims that one thing
> >  is an absolute good, to be followed to the exclusion of everything
> >  else, I think that this shows there is something fundamentally wrong
> >  with it. What is wrong with saying, "coercion only in a few cases where
> >  the situation justifies it"? Or, "coercion only when the majority
> >  opinion is in favor of it"?
> >  				-- Wayne (faustus@ucbcad)
>
> I have trouble with Wayne's belief in the magical properties of the
> majority.  If I wish to skip church when the majority thinks everyone
> should attend, why should I be forced to comply?  If I wish to speak of
> Marxism when the majority follows John Birch, why must I be thrown in jail?
> If I wish to treat my cancer with apricot pits when the majority believes
> this to be useless, why should I be constrained?

The point is not that the majority COULD force you to do what they want,
because in any society, anarchy or whatever, they could do this (no matter
how much you claim freedom from coercion). The point is that in a reasonable
society, they will have thed sense to make use of this power very seldom,
because they will realize that they might be a mamber of the next minority
to be persecuted. This is the way most people in the US seem to think now.
(Perhaps not the most visible people, like TV evangelists, but certainly
the majority.)

> I hold this to be an "absolute good" because in a system where every person
> is free, all other goods can be obtained if people agree that they want
> them.  This is not true in other systems.

You're not giving much of an argument for this, but I guess that this has
been the point of a lot of the debate that has been going on for the
last few months... At the very least, this isn't an obvious truth.

There is another side to the coersion / freedom issue that you don't
mention, and that is that many of the things that the government forces
people to do are things that people think should be done, but will only
help with themselves if they know that others are helping too. Taxes
are like that -- most people (aside from libertarians) think that taxes
are a necessary evil, and they will pay them, provided that other people
do too. The more tax evasion there is, the more people think, why am
I doing this while other people are avoiding it, and then they also
try to avoid it. In a situation like this, the people are supporting
their own coercion, just so long as everybody else is being coerced
also.

	Wayne

mwm@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (01/07/85)

> From faustus@ucbcad.UUCP Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969
> What I have trouble with is why, out of all the possible "basic goods"
> people could want, libertarians seem to have a fixation for freedom
> from force.  Whenever a philosophical position claims that one thing
> is an absolute good, to be followed to the exclusion of everything
> else, I think that this shows there is something fundamentally wrong
> with it. What is wrong with saying, "coercion only in a few cases where
> the situation justifies it"? Or, "coercion only when the majority
> opinion is in favor of it"?
>
> 	Wayne

Wayne -

You asked two different questions, so you deserve two different answers.

First, "the will of the majority." Said will changes, and is not an always
good. Two examples: Slavery in the US. That was the will of the majority, but
was it good? Second, if two people decide that a third persons money should
be redistributed, that makes them a majority. This is normally called theft.
Why should the numbers being 2 million and 1 million make things any
different?

Now, "only when the situation justifies it." We are now getting to the
heart of the matter. *How* do you decide that "the situation justifies
it?" If everybody thought it was justified, then you shouldn't need to
coerce anybody. If somebody thinks it isn't justified, how do you decide
who is right? Majority rule? Or maybe you believe in an "Absolute Good"
that you can use to make the decision?

	<mike

faustus@ucbcad.UUCP (01/08/85)

> Wayne -
>
> You asked two different questions, so you deserve two different answers.
>
> First, "the will of the majority." Said will changes, and is not an always
> good. Two examples: Slavery in the US. That was the will of the majority, but
> was it good? Second, if two people decide that a third persons money should
> be redistributed, that makes them a majority. This is normally called theft.
> Why should the numbers being 2 million and 1 million make things any
> different?

The point is that if the majority believe that you should not have rights,
your beliefs on how government should be run won't make much difference.
The part of society that has the most power, which is generally the
majority, will be the one to say what the government is like. Before the
middle of the 19th century, most people believed in slavery, or at least
believed in letting other people practice it.  After the Civil War,
the majority believed that slavery shouldn't be continued, and it
wasn't. If you are going to start to argue about what is GOOD, I hope
that you can provide a proper definition of the word so that we know
what you are really talking about...

> Now, "only when the situation justifies it." We are now getting to the
> heart of the matter. *How* do you decide that "the situation justifies
> it?" If everybody thought it was justified, then you shouldn't need to
> coerce anybody. If somebody thinks it isn't justified, how do you decide
> who is right? Majority rule? Or maybe you believe in an "Absolute Good"
> that you can use to make the decision?

I think majority rule should do fine. In any case, if the majority want
something, they are going to get it, no matter how right your political
views are...

	Wayne

josh@topaz.ARPA (J Storrs Hall) (01/09/85)

> I think majority rule should do fine. In any case, if the majority want
> something, they are going to get it, no matter how right your political
> views are...
>
> 	Wayne

Not necessarily.  If the majority has a vague preference for something,
and the minority has a fanatical life-and-death preference against it,
the minority will (and should) have its way.  Simple head-counting misses
these subtleties.

--JoSH

cjk@ccice2.UUCP (Chris Kreilick) (01/09/85)

> As "The Fonz" would say: EXACTAMOONDO!  Freedom *from* coercion, without
> freedom *to* do anything, is worthless.  What libertarians want, and
> what rational people want, are as different as night and day.
>
> 				--The insufferable iconoclast,
> 				Paul V. Torek, umcp-cs!flink

You spell very nicely.
--
Misermite

mike@hpfclp.UUCP (mike) (01/18/85)

From: Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

From: Paul Torek, umcp-cs!flink
> As "The Fonz" would say: EXACTAMOONDO!  Freedom *from* coercion, without
> freedom *to* do anything, is worthless.  What libertarians want, and
> what rational people want, are as different as night and day.

I have never seen so much  package  dealing as between  the  concepts of
political  freedom and the much different  concept of economic  freedom.
They are not  equivalent at all.  Political  freedom is the  inalienable
right of man,  e.g.  the  individual  man, to pursue  whatever  goals he
wishes  so long as he does not  forcibly  interfere  with the  political
freedom of other  individuals.  It is the proper  function of government
to enact laws which  protect this kind of freedom.  Economic  freedom is
the   consequence  of  political   freedom.  A  person  in  the  USA  is
politically  free to start any  legitimate  business he chooses.  To the
degree he is successful  (e.g.  if his goals are rational and he has the
stamina and  efficacy  to achieve  them), is the degree to which he will
enjoy more economic freedom.  Economic freedom is not a given; it has to
be EARNED.  And it cannot be earned if one is not politically  free.  To
negate this fact is to turn  hardworking  individuals  into  sacrificial
animals   whose   work  and  wealth   are   confiscated   and  given  to
non-producers.  It is this kind of economic  freedom that the  Democrats
keep  touting  as a right;  e.g.  a right  to a job, a right to  medical
care,  a right  to a  decent  salary,  a  right  to a  decent  home...ad
infinitum.  Who is to produce the wealth in order for these rights to be
provided?  Blank out!

I always get  disgusted  when I hear  people  claiming  a right to other
people's hard-earned wealth and prosperity.  These people simply wish to
evade the reality  that they are not  competent or  motivated  enough to
PRODUCE  the  wealth  for their own  continued  existence  and thus they
endeavor to loot from those who can.

Michael Bishop
ihnp4!hpfcla!mike-b