[net.politics] CBS takeover bid by Jesse Helms and others

jj@alice.UUCP (01/11/85)

AP and other sources are carrying a story that tells of a scare campaign
Jesse Helms (the infamous congresscritter from the Carolinas) and the
"Fairness in Media" folks are organizing.  They are threatening to
take over CBS network via stock acquisition, much in the manner
of Boone Pickens and the oil industry.    The question of adequate
finances as well as "popular" support arises.

I really don't know anything about this scheme.  I do know that I don't like the
idea even more than I don't like CBS.

Anyone know more facts?

JJ
--
TEDDY BEARS PROTECT PENGUINS FROM WALRUSES
"I wish I was home again, back home in my heart again, it's been such a time

(allegra,harpo,ulysses)!alice!jj

franka@hercules.UUCP (Frank Adrian) (01/14/85)

In article <3263@alice.UUCP> jj@alice.UUCP writes:

>AP and other sources are carrying a story that tells of a scare campaign
>Jesse Helms (the infamous congresscritter from the Carolinas) and the
>"Fairness in Media" folks are organizing.  They are threatening to
>take over CBS network via stock acquisition, much in the manner
>of Boone Pickens and the oil industry.    The question of adequate
>finances as well as "popular" support arises.
>

>I really don't know anything about this scheme.
>I do know that I don't like the
>idea even more than I don't like CBS.
>Anyone know more facts?
>
>JJ
	Yeah, the rumor's true. JH and his boys have filed documents with
the SEC. My feelings are that it shouldn't be worried about too much.
	First, a hostile takeove is tough. About all the leak did was to
make CBS's stock jump a couple of bucks (this is good news for Fender,
Columbia, Leslie, and other related companies owned by CBS). I don't think
that Jesse's boys have enough dough to do it, now that the cat's out of the
bag.
	Second, what happens if they do take over. They fire Dan. He goes
elsewhere and starts beating the hell out of the new geek they hire,
ratingswise. While this is happening, the ratings for the entertainment
division start going downhill because JH's folk don't know nuthin' 'bout
TV programmin'. People start leaving the subsidiary companies because
Columbia records now only produces "proper, God fearing, American" music.
Fender has to change its guitar's names from Stratocaster to God's tune box.
Well, in the end, CBS goes belly up, Jesse's supporters lose all their money
and Jesse has no campaign funds for his next senate bid.
	Come to think of it, Jesse, go for it.....
						Frank Adrian

jj@alice.UUCP (01/16/85)

Yeah, Frank, but think of all those old master tapes that
Jesse's friends will burn.  Just think of all the oldies that
will be eliminated.

JJ

(only half :-)
--

reza@ihuxb.UUCP (Reza Taheri) (01/16/85)

> 	Second, what happens if they do take over. They fire Dan. He goes
> elsewhere and starts beating the hell out of the new geek they hire,
> ratingswise. While this is happening, the ratings for the entertainment
> division start going downhill because JH's folk don't know nuthin' 'bout
> TV programmin'. People start leaving the subsidiary companies because
>
>						Frank Adrian

   Somehow, everybody who has written on this subject has assumed that
a conservative management would drastically change the program
contents broadcast by CBS.  This is intuitively correct but in reality
incorrect.  Look at the kind of programs the far-right religious
stations, such as 700 Club, offer.  They have news, music, political
commentary, hard-to-believe-facts shows, sad shows, happy shows, even soap
operas.  That's right, soap operas.  And look at how much they rely on
celebrities.  If Mr. X  the actor is good enough to tell you about his
experience with Jesus, his show must be good enough to be seen by your
children, too.

   All that will change will be that the "good guys" in Dallas will
start wearing crosses and the reason the "bad guys" in the Dukes of
Hazard are so nasty is that they are really undercover KGB agents.

H. Reza Taheri
...!ihnp4!ihuxb!reza
(312)-979-7473

wbpesch@ihuxp.UUCP (Walt Pesch) (01/17/85)

>    Somehow, everybody who has written on this subject has assumed that
> a conservative management would drastically change the program
> contents broadcast by CBS.  This is intuitively correct but in reality
> incorrect.  Look at the kind of programs the far-right religious
> stations, such as 700 Club, offer.  They have news, music, political
> commentary, hard-to-believe-facts shows, sad shows, happy shows, even soap
> operas.  H. Reza Taheri

Gee, I really do love those reruns of Ozzie and Harriet.  It reminds
me of home.  Not to mention the comedy, such as faith-healing an'
speaking in tongues.

Humble and Lovable and if you send me all your money Rich,

cjn@calmasd.UUCP (Cheryl Nemeth) (01/17/85)

>Well, in the end, CBS goes belly up, Jesse's supporters lose all their money
>and Jesse has no campaign funds for his next senate bid.
>	Come to think of it, Jesse, go for it.....
>						Frank Adrian

"Think of it as evolution in action." [J. Pournelle and L. Niven]
--
Cheryl Nemeth
All opinions expressed in this article are my own, and do not necessarily

"Life is a series of rude awakenings"
				R. V. Winkle [Robert Asprin]

jhull@spp2.UUCP (01/19/85)

>> 	Second, what happens if they do take over. They fire Dan...
>> the ratings ... start going downhill because JH's folk don't know
>> nuthin' 'bout TV programmin'...
>>						Frank Adrian
>
>   Somehow, everybody who has written on this subject has assumed that
>a conservative management would drastically change the program
>contents broadcast by CBS.  This is intuitively correct but in reality
>incorrect.  Look at the kind of programs the far-right religious
>stations, such as 700 Club, offer.  They have news, music, political
>commentary, hard-to-believe-facts shows, sad shows, happy shows, even soap
>operas.  That's right, soap operas.  And look at how much they rely on
>celebrities.  If Mr. X  the actor is good enough to tell you about his
>experience with Jesus, his show must be good enough to be seen by your
>children, too...

For all the people who are so concerned about this topic,

	Relax.  The largest radio network in the U.S. is owned by
conservatives.  And you still get to hear the news.  And I haven't
heard any of you complaining about censorship by them.

	What?  What's the name of this abomination?  Write me and I'll
tell you.

--
					Blessed Be,

 					Jeff Hull
 {ihnp4}trwrb!trwspp!spp2!jhull		13817 Yukon Ave.
					Hawthorne, CA 90250