[net.politics] Crime in New York

jca@abnji.UUCP (james armstrong) (01/09/85)

Actually, it is rather amusing to hear people complain about crime in
New York City when it is 10th in the United States in violent crime.

Admittedly, it is still too high, but New York City is not the location
of as high a murder rate as, say, Miami.

Do you realize that you have a greater chance of being killed by a handgun
in the United States than you do of being killed by terrorism in Northern
Ireland?

--
She dreams of 1969
					Before the soldiers came

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg Kuperberg) (01/12/85)

> Do you realize that you have a greater chance of being killed by a handgun
> in the United States than you do of being killed by terrorism in Northern
> Ireland?

No, I didn't realize it.  In fact, depending on what you compare, it may
not be true.  In any case it's comparing apples and oranges.

On one level, since I'm in the United States and will probably never visit
Northern Ireland, the chances are very close to nil that I might be killed
by terrorism in that country.  On the other hand, since I live in a
low-crime neighborhood, the chances are pretty small that I might be killed
with a handgun in the U.S.  Research shows that most homocide victims know
their murderer, and I am not a member of a street gang, nor organized
crime, nor do I have relatives with violent tendencies.  Terrorism, on the
other hand, is more random and not restricted to bad neighborhoods in
cities.  So if I were a middle-class resident of Northern Ireland, the
chances could concievably be greater that I might be killed by terrorism.
But for me, the chances of either are pretty slim.

I grant you that general homocide rates in the U.S. are higher than
terrorist-homicide rates in Northern Ireland.  However, terrorism by
itself is not a major cause of death, even in Middle Eastern countries.
The reason that it gets so much press is that it represents political
unrest, and that it means that a small, violent group of people have a
highly disproportionate amount of political power.

More importantly, homocide gets much more press than other causes of death.
Suicide rates in almost all Western countries (including the U.S.) are
higher than homocide rates, and there are more auto fatalities in the U.S.
than there are homocides and suicides put together.  For a student like me,
THE most prevalent causes of death are, respectively, auto fatalities
and suicides.

In short, my answer to the hypothetical question, "Should you be more con-
cerned with terrorism or homocides?" is "You probably shouldn't be overly
concerned with either one."
---
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

geb@cadre.UUCP (01/12/85)

>Actually, it is rather amusing to hear people complain about crime in
>New York City when it is 10th in the United States in violent crime.

Actually, it is amusing to hear people quote such statistics.
I am originally from Albuquerque, and lived in Chicago for
8 years.  Before I went to Chicago, there was a sensational
story in the Albuquerque papers concerning the fact that Albuquerque's
crime rate was one of the highest in the nation, including Chicago
and NYC.  Now certainly there is a lot of petty crime there, and
a lot of burglery too, but mugging was unheard of, and in order
to get shot or stabbed you had to frequent the wrong bars or
the wrong peoples wives.  After going to school in Chicago for
4 years, probably about a third of my medical school
classmates had experienced personally some form of person-to-person
crime, and several of them (out of a population of about 100) were injured.
Several others had been present when one of their companions was
shot or otherwise seriously injured.  All my life in Albuquerque,
I had never known anyone who had been mugged.  So, the caveat
is to ask what kind of crime?  Another problem is much of the crime
in NY and Chicago goes unreported, since the police have very
little interest in it unless someone was killed or a bank was robbed.

(Fortunately all I personally ever lost was in Chicago was my
car radio.  However I narrowly escaped a mugging when two large
teenagers sprang out of the bushes while riding my bicycle on
the lake front and chased me until I was able to outdistance them.
I have also had my car broken into in NYC, on one of my few visits there.)

josh@topaz.ARPA (J Storrs Hall) (01/15/85)

> >Actually, it is rather amusing to hear people complain about crime in
> >New York City when it is 10th in the United States in violent crime.
> >

> Actually, it is amusing to hear people quote such statistics.
> ...  Another problem is much of the crime
> in NY and Chicago goes unreported, since the police have very
> little interest in it unless someone was killed or a bank was robbed.

Friends who live in New York City tell me that you should always
call the fire dept. (instead of the police) if someone is breaking
into your apartment.  At least someone will show up.

NYC TV pundits have been decrying the public support for Goetz,
claiming that "if everyone takes the law into his own hands,
the result will be anarchy".  Comparing the streets of New York
to anarchy is an insult to anarchy.

--JoSH

mr@hou2h.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (01/18/85)

> > >Actually, it is rather amusing to hear people complain about crime in
> > >New York City when it is 10th in the United States in violent crime.
> > >

> > Actually, it is amusing to hear people quote such statistics.
> > ...  Another problem is much of the crime
> > in NY and Chicago goes unreported, since the police have very
> > little interest in it unless someone was killed or a bank was robbed.

This is true, in NYC, many crimes are not ever reported since it is
not worth the hassle, and, the criminal will never get to be
prosecuted. The victim will spend more time and money than the
criminal will.

> Friends who live in New York City tell me that you should always
> call the fire dept. (instead of the police) if someone is breaking
> into your apartment.  At least someone will show up.

Even better call the precinct directly and tell them that there
is an officer in trouble. They will be there in two minutes flat.

					Mark

geb@cadre.UUCP (01/19/85)

In article <257@topaz.ARPA> josh@topaz.UUCP writes:

>Friends who live in New York City tell me that you should always
>call the fire dept. (instead of the police) if someone is breaking
>into your apartment.  At least someone will show up.

Yeah, but then they'll have you arrested for a false alarm!

gmm@bunker.UUCP (Gregory M. Mandas) (01/22/85)

[]

Reported on NEWS 4 New York last night:

Felony statistics for NY are:

       500,000	Reported
	90,000  Arrests
        20,000  Trials
	13,000  Convictions

(I missed the point as to if it were NY City Stats. or NY State Stats.
Regardless, one would expect the majority of these the State's Felonies
to come out of NYC.)

As far as New York City being number 10 on the crime list. Remember these
numbers are on a per/capita basis.

Point. What point? I just like to bring facts like these to light and
see what the net dose with them.

gmm

del@wuphys.UUCP (Dave de Lake) (01/25/85)

> []
>
> Reported on NEWS 4 New York last night:
>
> Felony statistics for NY are:
>
>        500,000	Reported
> 	90,000  Arrests
>         20,000  Trials
> 	13,000  Convictions

> Point. What point? I just like to bring facts like these to light and
> see what the net dose with them.

i.e.	At least 1,000,000 victims probably; one of
whom uses an illegal weapon and causes people to say
that this is horrifying and uncivilized.

Most of these people would probably not say that
500,000, 13,000 and such indicates anything about
civilization.

Strange???

				Dave
				@Compton Sanitarium