[net.politics] Merry Christmas from the NRA

don@allegra.UUCP (D. Mitchell) (12/27/84)

Last year, Handguns killed

	48 people in japan
	8 in great britain
	34 in switzerland
	52 in canada
	58 in israel
	21 in sweden
	42 in west germany
	10,728 in the united states

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (01/01/85)

> Last year, Handguns killed
>
> 	48 people in japan
> 	8 in great britain
> 	34 in switzerland
> 	52 in canada
> 	58 in israel
> 	21 in sweden
> 	42 in west germany
> 	10,728 in the united states

Cars killed ~50k last year......  I suggest we work on a ban for them first!

As far as handguns are concerned, We have a constitutional right to bear arms.

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (01/03/85)

> Last year, Handguns killed
>
> 	10,728 in the united states

Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

paul@wjvax.UUCP (Paul Summers) (01/03/85)

This discussion is inappropriate here.  Move it to net.politics.

I used to debate on the issue at hand but gave it up in Jr. High when
I discovered that people had their own opinions and would refuse to
look at the other side of the issue, no matter how logically presented.

--

<*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>

Paul Summers
Watkins Johnson, Co.
2525 N. First St.
San Jose, Ca.  95131-1097

(408) 262-1411 x3203

(...wjvax!paul)

Working is fine, but I wouldn't want to make a career out of it.

albert@harvard.ARPA (David Albert) (01/04/85)

> > Last year, Handguns killed
> > 	10,728 in the united states
>
> Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
> People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
> --
> {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

The question raised by the numbers given in the original
letter, most of which you have left out, is whether these
People who kill People would have done so if they did
not have access to handguns.  Studies say no; what do you say?

David Albert
--
ihnp4!ut-sally!harvard!albert (ARPAnet)

carnes@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (01/04/85)

Sunny Kirsten (an AI program?) writes:

>Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
>People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.

You're right!!

BAN PEOPLE.

Richard Carnes (AI program)

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (01/04/85)

--
[Sunny Kirsten]
>> Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
>> People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.

Perhaps.  If armed with knives, clubs, or nothing at all, people
who kill must feel the destruction of another's flesh (unless they're
drugged into oblivion).  With a gun, though, you can shoot at an
abstraction, deal death at a distance.  People who fire guns at others
may not, in their own minds, be killing real individuals.  But I don't
know, I've never done it.  Are there any war vets, ex-cops, or other
folks out there who have intentionally fired a gun at a person?
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (01/04/85)

> Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
> People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.

Then make it difficult to acquire those tools on a whim.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

pallas@CSL-Vax.ARPA (01/04/85)

> > Last year, Handguns killed
> >
> > 	10,728 in the united states
>
> Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
> People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
> --
> {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

Guns don't shoot people, bullets shoot people.
Guns shoot bullets.
People shoot guns.
Criminals, fools, and hunters shoot people.
The NRA does NOT shoot criminals, fools, or hunters.
Too bad, since the NRA seems to be composed of criminals, fools, and hunters.
Which category wants armor-piercing bullets to be legal?
Which category believes Saturday-night specials are used for sport?
Which category thinks a man in a red plaid shirt wearing a bright orange
vest looks like a 12-point buck?
Which category ignores the statistics on how many people are shot with their
own guns, or how many shoot family members they thought were burglars, or
how many people are shot because someone was blazing angry and there was a
gun right there?

If Uzi semi-automatic machine guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have Uzi
semi-automatic machine guns.  But at least psychos who walk into McDonald's
and shoot everyone in sight won't.

joe

Anyone who disagrees with me is welcome to come shoot me.  You'll feel better.

lee@unmvax.UUCP (01/06/85)

> Guns don't shoot people, bullets shoot people.
> Guns shoot bullets.
> People shoot guns.
> Criminals, fools, and hunters shoot people.

 Now then, "people" shoot guns and "criminals, fools and hunters" shoot
"people". If "people" would carry their guns then criminals and fools
would not be able to shoot them as "people" would shoot the criminals
and fools. Hunting accidents do occur, unfortunately. So do driving
accidents. I don't see anybody here discussing taking away everybodies
car. They just want them to be responsible while driving. The NRA
would like to see hunters use their guns responsibly. That is
why there is an NRA sponsored hunter safety course available almost
everywhere in the U.S.

> Too bad, since the NRA seems to be composed of criminals, fools, and hunters.
> Which category wants armor-piercing bullets to be legal?
> Which category believes Saturday-night specials are used for sport?
> Which category thinks a man in a red plaid shirt wearing a bright orange
> vest looks like a 12-point buck?
> Which category ignores the statistics on how many people are shot with their
> own guns, or how many shoot family members they thought were burglars, or
> how many people are shot because someone was blazing angry and there was a
> gun right there?

Ok, back it up. Please publish the number of NRA members who shot people
in this last year. I do not have these figures at hand but I have the
distinct feeling that the number is small. If so, then maybe everybody
should join the NRA, huh?

> If Uzi semi-automatic machine guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have Uzi
> semi-automatic machine guns.  But at least psychos who walk into McDonald's
> and shoot everyone in sight won't.

 No, the psychos would undoubtedly find another method. This is really
a cheap shot. Though it is true that the guy used a gun to commit this
act. From what I have read he would have been just as happy to hack
those people up with a sword. You use the incident to inflame people
by emotion. Like I said, a cheap shot.

A people with rights at least has the chance to be free. The ability
to change ones government (with weapons if need be) is a very
difficult people to oppress when they do not choose to be. I believe
this is the reason why we (the citizens of the United States) were
given this right.

> joe
>
> Anyone who disagrees with me is welcome to come shoot me.  You'll feel better.

 Naw, that's ok. You're drastic enough for the both of us.

--
			--Lee (Ward)
			{ucbvax,convex,gatech,pur-ee}!unmvax!lee

gino@voder.UUCP (Gino Bloch) (01/08/85)

> >Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
> >People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
> You're right!!
> BAN PEOPLE.
When people are banned, only outlaws will be people.
--
Gene E. Bloch (...!nsc!voder!gino)
Extend USENET to omicron Ceti.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (E. Michael Smith) (01/08/85)

> --
> [Sunny Kirsten]
> >> Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
> >> People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
>
> Perhaps.  If armed with knives, clubs, or nothing at all, people
> who kill must feel the destruction of another's flesh (unless they're
> drugged into oblivion).

> ken perlow       *****   *****
> (312)979-7188     ** ** ** **
> ..ihnp4!iwsl8!ken   *** ***

And don't for get Poison, Electrocution, Suffocation, ...
Please, can we move this to net.politics.gore?
--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

No one would dare claim these opinions.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (E. Michael Smith) (01/08/85)

Ok, ok, I give up.  I'll bite the bullet and put my two sense worth in
here. :-)
(though I still think this belongs in net.politics.gore... )

First we get some emotional drivel.

> > Guns don't shoot people, bullets shoot people.
> > Guns shoot bullets.
> > People shoot guns.
> > Criminals, fools, and hunters shoot people.

Then we get some emotional follow up drivel.

>  Now then, "people" shoot guns and "criminals, fools and hunters" shoot
> "people". If "people" would carry their guns then criminals and fools
> would not be able to shoot them as "people" would shoot the criminals
> and fools. Hunting accidents do occur, unfortunately. So do driving
> accidents. I don't see anybody here discussing taking away everybodies
> car. They just want them to be responsible while driving. The NRA
> would like to see hunters use their guns responsibly. That is
> why there is an NRA sponsored hunter safety course available almost
> everywhere in the U.S.

The NRA does push for responsible gun use.  NRA members are generally
reasonable folks who can back up what they say with facts.  They are
also often at odds with the position of the NRA organization.
They do push for gun safty and are generally fanatic about it.
They are also often fanatic about their political position too...

> > Too bad, since the NRA seems to be composed of criminals, fools, and hunters.

Why lump hunters in with criminals and fools?  While I may not like the
idea of someone blasting holes in Bamby, it is legal; and for many
folks it is not foolish.  (Venison does taste good... even if I can't
bring myself to shoot a deer when it looks at me.  They are *SO* cute. )
Though some of the Sunday Warriors from the city can be a hazard and
foolish, they are rarely serious enough to join the NRA.
Also, the NRA is very down on criminals.  Seems that they are more of
a bunch of red neck types....  There is a very high percentage of
military and police in the NRA.  I don't have the numbers at hand, but
the NRA is not a place for criminals or fools.  These guys tend to be
very picky about technical details, almost as bad as hackers...:-)

> > Which category wants armor-piercing bullets to be legal?

Define for me please an 'armor-piercing bullet'?  No can do.  There are
armor defeating energies, and bullets that can defeat armor at lower
energies than others, but no such thing as a magic 'armor-piercing bullet'
exists.  True, the special coated bullets can pierce armor at lower
energies.  Also true that *ANY* average deer rifle can pierce police
soft body armor with *ANY* bullet. The NRA has stated that it wants the
special composition bullets reserved for police use.  It also wants to
retain the standard hunting bullets for hunting use.  Most proposed laws
have ignored physics.  Defining an armor piercing bullet without regard
to the energy with which it travels is an exercise in futility.

On to some more emoting...

> > Which category believes Saturday-night specials are used for sport?
> > Which category thinks a man in a red plaid shirt wearing a bright orange
> > vest looks like a 12-point buck?
> > Which category ignores the statistics on how many people are shot with their
> > own guns, or how many shoot family members they thought were burglars, or
> > how many people are shot because someone was blazing angry and there was a
> > gun right there?
>
> Ok, back it up. Please publish the number of NRA members who shot people
> in this last year. I do not have these figures at hand but I have the
> distinct feeling that the number is small. If so, then maybe everybody
> should join the NRA, huh?

This is not a good challenge to issue.  Given the high percentage of
police and military in the NRA, the average NRA member has a higher
probability of having shot someone than the average 'guy on the street'.
(Though these shooting would have been 'OK' shootings... sigh )

> > If Uzi semi-automatic machine guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have Uzi
> > semi-automatic machine guns.  But at least psychos who walk into McDonald's
> > and shoot everyone in sight won't.

Another technical error.  There is no such thing as a 'semi-automatic
machine gun'.  This is an oxymoron.  Machine gun means full automatic.
You can't have a semifull auto...

The full automatic Uzi is illegal.

The semi-automatic Uzi is less lethal than most semi-automatics as it
uses a handgun cartridge (and thus has far less energy than a true rifle.)

>  No, the psychos would undoubtedly find another method. This is really
> a cheap shot. Though it is true that the guy used a gun to commit this
> act. From what I have read he would have been just as happy to hack
> those people up with a sword. You use the incident to inflame people
> by emotion. Like I said, a cheap shot.

Yes, a cheap shot.  And speaking of inflaming people, why not walk into
someplace, dump out 5 gals of gas and light a cigarette?  Guns are
much more effective at killing than most other things *the average person
can think of*.  But I can walk into the local harware or garden store
and walk out with the ingredients for 2 pounds of explosives for less than
$5.  If some bulk fertilizer is available and some diesel fuel I can
make 50 pounds of high explosives for about $8.  Want to outlaw fuel?
Fertilizer?  Knowledge?  (No, I won't tell anyone how to make it.  Don't
ask.  I will forward your name to the FBI.)  The NRA does manage to
ignore the fact that for the average person, the gun is the easiest way
to kill.

> A people with rights at least has the chance to be free. The ability
> to change ones government (with weapons if need be) is a very
> difficult people to oppress when they do not choose to be. I believe
> this is the reason why we (the citizens of the United States) were
> given this right.

Sorry Lee, we don't have the right to change the government with weapons.
That is strickly a no-no.  We do have the right to defend our government
against outside agressors by the use of weapons.

(To those who will inevitably ridicule the idea of deer rifles against
Agressors military:
Please look up the muzzle energy of a 30-06 deer cartridge, then a .223
Remington as used by our military.  The deer rifles in use today have
far more range {especially with telescopic sights} than military guns.
They are far more lethal.  The foot soldier is still the cornerstone
of military force.  Those soldiers with modern hunting equipment would
be far more deadly.  Most hollow point and similar hunting ammunition is
outlawed for military use because of the damage it can do.  We must be
civilized in our warfare, now mustn't we... *BIG* sigh.)

> > joe
> >
> > Anyone who disagrees with me is welcome to come shoot me.  You'll feel better.
>
>  Naw, that's ok. You're drastic enough for the both of us.
>
> --
> 			--Lee (Ward)
> 			{ucbvax,convex,gatech,pur-ee}!unmvax!lee

ONE LAST TIME:  Can we please move this to net.politics?

I'm tired of all this and I must admit that I would love to have it move
to a group to which I don't subscribe...

--

gam@amdahl.UUCP (gam) (01/08/85)

> Sunny Kirsten (an AI program?) writes:
>
> >Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
> >People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
>
> You're right!!
>
> BAN PEOPLE.
>
> Richard Carnes (AI program)

It figures an AI program would come up with an answer like this.
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,hplabs,sun}!amdahl!gam

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (01/08/85)

> > Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
> > People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
>
> Then make it difficult to acquire those tools on a whim.
>
> 	Guy Harris
> 	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

I'd much rather see it made difficult to use those tools on a whim and then
return as a free person to society.  The problem is our system of "due process"
not of the availability of tools.
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (01/08/85)

> > > Last year, Handguns killed
> > >
> > > 	10,728 in the united states
      last year there were 4 or 5 times as many killed on the highways by
      AUTOMOBILES

> > Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
> > People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
> > --
> > {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny
>
> Guns don't shoot people, bullets shoot people.
> Guns shoot bullets.
> People shoot guns.
Yes, the root problem is people, those who kill for socially unacceptable
reasons like robbery (as opposed to socially acceptable reasons like war).
> Criminals, fools, and hunters shoot people.
Accidents are not restricted to guns, but occur with all tools.  Training is
the answer, not loss of use of those tools which at times are necessary to
provide useful functions.
> The NRA does NOT shoot criminals, fools, or hunters.
The NRA does far more to support the continued existance of wildlife than it
does anything else.  It also supports the second ammendment to the US
Constitution, which many people seem to forget exists.
> Too bad, since the NRA seems to be composed of criminals, fools, and hunters.
And net.politics is populated with idiots who make large leaps of illogic.
> Which category wants armor-piercing bullets to be legal?
Since when have armor-piercing bullets constituted a problem?  Nobody but the
police and military can get them, so your illogic baffles me.
> Which category believes Saturday-night specials are used for sport?
Handguns are useful primarily as defensive weapons, i.e. in the defense of
the life of the person carrying one.  Offensive tactics favour assault-rifles
and larger scale weapons over handguns.  The problem is the criminal use of
guns, and the failure of society to stop criminals, not the tool itself.
> Which category thinks a man in a red plaid shirt wearing a bright orange
> vest looks like a 12-point buck?
only you.
> Which category ignores the statistics on how many people are shot with their
> own guns, or how many shoot family members they thought were burglars, or
> how many people are shot because someone was blazing angry and there was a
> gun right there?
And I suppose you think guns are the only tools this is a problem with?

> If Uzi semi-automatic machine guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have Uzi
> semi-automatic machine guns.
What NEWSPEAK you mouth!  "semi-automatic" and "machine-gun" are mutually
exclusive.
> But at least psychos who walk into McDonald's
> and shoot everyone in sight won't.
Won't what? be outlawed?  Most problems with guns used illegally are traceable
to criminals who become repeat offenders through lack of death.  The real
problem is that we condone the release of these criminals back upon society.

> joe
>
> Anyone who disagrees with me is welcome to come shoot me.  You'll feel better.
To this I'd say "see you in net.flame", but since I don't subscribe to that
pile of @!#$RR%T^Y&* I hope you get robbed at knife-point by some idiot who has
no respect for human life, and has been released on his own recognizance
repeatedly.  Then maybe you'll begin to think of locking-up or killing
criminals, rather than locking up guns.
This country was founded on the principle of rugged individualism and self
sufficiency and self-responsibility.  I see you're too much of a wimp to
watch out for your own life, and so would have the government deprive the
rest of us of our constitutional right to defend ourselves against the nuts
you keep seeing fit to release on the street, no matter how many times they
commit violent crimes.  You obviously also have never lived outside an urban
area or you'd realize that the police can't do a damn thing to keep your ass
alive, and will merely come after the fact to mop you up and file reports and
explain (not very) sadly to your widow how you died.  For those of us who have
lived or do live in rural areas, there simply aren't enough police to go around,
nor would we want to live in the required police state to have same, and we
feel we must take responsibility for our own lives, and protect our own asses
from death at the hands of some nut you city folk have released after he's
committed numerous crimes against humanity.  There is NO substitute for a
handgun in the defense of your own life.  Although it might seem to you to be
a bad idea to have everyone wandering around the city with a sidearm on their
hip, there is no substitute in the country.

If you disparage the NRA so much, I suggest you look up one of their
publications, and read the page titled "The Armed Citizen" and note how many
people are glad to be alive and healthy, and share that with their alive and
healthy family and relatives, who would not be so had they not had a handy
weapon in their homes to defend against the criminals so often not terminated
any other way.

I think I'd better stop before I being to flame your ignorance.
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (01/08/85)

> > > Last year, Handguns killed
> > > 	10,728 in the united states
> >
> > Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
> > People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
> > --
> > {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny
>
> The question raised by the numbers given in the original
> letter, most of which you have left out, is whether these
> People who kill People would have done so if they did
> not have access to handguns.  Studies say no; what do you say?
>
> David Albert
> --
> ihnp4!ut-sally!harvard!albert (ARPAnet)

I say the numbers ain't worth the paper they're printed on unless you
have the associated sociological study of who pulled the trigger, and
what their previous criminal record was.
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) (01/08/85)

In article <1912@sun.uucp> sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) writes:

>> Last year, Handguns killed
>>
>> 	10,728 in the united states
>
>Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
>People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.

Bullshit, Sunny.  You had to quote out of context to make your assertion
anything less than ludicrous.  Let's remember the whole article:  41 people
in West Germany, 11 in Great Britain, etc.  So you are telling us that
Americans are 26165% more murderous than Germans.

To quote Bill Cosby,

    RRRRIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTT.

Mike Royko gives out gun owner awards every year.  This year, one of the
awards went to a country singer in Dallas.  Seems he decided to carry a
derringer in his cowboy boot.  His girlfriend was helping him take the boots
off, and the derringer fell out, fired, and wounded the singer.

    Handguns don't wound people, boots wound people.

John D. McDonald said it best.  The difference between a handgun and a knife
is that a handgun is impersonal.  To successfully murder with a knife, you
have to come close enough to engage in a struggle (and usually do so), and
most of the time you have to stab repeatedly to actually achieve a kill,
despite the fact that blood is very likely gushing from the first wound.
Not a project for the weak of stomach.

With a gun, on the other hand, you can be across the room.  A small sickly
person can, in a moment of anger, snatch up a gun, point, squeeze, and fell
a burly man.  The first shot is usually enough.  This is not at all the same
thing.

Another thing McDonald said:  "the only two things you can kill with a
handgun are beer cans and people."  I have never heard that successfully
refuted.  Handguns are good target weapons;  like anything they can be fun
to collect.  They are not good for hunting.  So I have to confess real
suspicion about the people who are so rabid about defending handguns.  Who
do they want to shoot?

Oh, right, the burglar.  RRRRRIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHTTTTTTT.  You're going to
wake up in the middle of the night, rip that pistol out from under your
pillow, and plug that sucker square between the eyes.  Starting from a sound
sleep, and beating the guy to the draw.  RRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHHHTTTTTTT.
If you're quick enough to beat the guy to the draw, I bet it turns out to be
your brother on a surprise visit.  Any *really* dangerous intruder is going
to be armed, cocked, and jumpy.

Royko's first prize went to a fellow who picked up his gun instead of the
ringing phone, and shot himself in the ear.  That's the sort of thing sleepy
people do.  Me, I like Larry Niven's/Jerry Pournelle's phrase:  "think of
it as evolution in action."
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (01/09/85)

> Yes, a cheap shot.  And speaking of inflaming people, why not walk into
> someplace, dump out 5 gals of gas and light a cigarette?  Guns are
> much more effective at killing than most other things *the average person
> can think of*.

Actually, I can be far more deadly with a molotov cocktail than with a gun.
(I'm a lousy shot).

Of course, then again it could be hereditary (I'm Irish).

ems@amdahl.UUCP (E. Michael Smith) (01/09/85)

> > > Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
> > > People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
> >
> > The question raised by the numbers ...  is whether these
> > People who kill People would have done so if they did
> > not have access to handguns.
> >

> I say the numbers ain't worth the paper they're printed on unless you
> have the associated sociological study of who pulled the trigger, and
> what their previous criminal record was.
> --

I saw one posting go by that seemed to assert that the number of
handgun related deaths was closer to 20K.  10k from suicide, 6k or so
from homicide, and 2k or so from accidents.  (I may have garbled the
numbers some in my sticky state memory...)

From this I would assume that the biggest hunk (1/2) would have
commited suicied by gun anyway, even if it were registered, or would
have found another way to die (like driving into me on the freeway
head on) if guns were banned.  The 2k or so accidental should still
exist with registration, though should be lower with a ban (assuming of
course that the ban didn't just result in a reduction of people seeking
training without effecting gun numbers).  So really we are talking about
more like 6k.  Of these, how many were JUSTIFIABLE homicides?  Are
police shootings accounted for here?  How many were people shooting
a crook and how many crooks shooting victims?

I have no idea if these numbers are at all valid, as I said - my source
is a flakey memory of an unknown posting.  Well netland, any better
analysis?
--

The early bird catches the worm, but the early worm gets eaten.
So which are you, a worm or a bird brain? (Me? I sleep in...)

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

The opinions expressed by me are not representative of those of any
other person - natural, unnatural, or fictional - and only marginally
reflect my opinions as strained by the language.

ems@amdahl.UUCP (E. Michael Smith) (01/09/85)

> > >Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
> > >People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
> > You're right!!
> > BAN PEOPLE.
> When people are banned, only outlaws will be people.
> --
> Gene E. Bloch (...!nsc!voder!gino)
> Extend USENET to omicron Ceti.

Here is my problem with 'gun control'.  (I am in favor of the *IDEA*
of limiting guns in a society... just doesn't seem to work yet.)

1. Cost - do you realize that you are talking about a multi-million
dollar operation?  Couldn't we save 10k lives easier by spending on
other projects?

2. Guns can be MANUFACTURED or SMUGGLED very easily.  Witness the gun
trade into South American nations. (And Humbolt county, Ca....)

3. The persons most 'hurt' by restricting citizen access to guns are the
old, the weak, the small, and women.  The big bruser bully can get by
just fine with a knife, club, or just plain old size.  (Yes, I have
been beaten up before, no I don't carry a gun because of it, yes I
do understand some lady friends who have a gun in the purse... )

4.  'Gun nuts' are not going to comply, from those I have talked to.

5.  Criminals are not going to comply.  (In the Humbolt area of California
the most popular weapons for defending Pot farms are full automatic
assualt rifles.  Highly illegal.)

6.  Enough laws already exist.  Say one walks into a store for a stick up
and has a prior record.  What laws were broken?
  a.  Possession of a gun by a felon.
  b.  Conceled (spelled wrong..) weapon. (A gun in a holster is
      is considered to be hidden.)
  c.  Loaded weapon in city limits (usually a separate crime)
  d.  Assult with a deadly weapon
  e.  Brandishing a weapon
  f.  Use of a gun in the commision of a crime
  g.  And several others I'm sure... Like fireing the gun is two more
  crimes; the first is discharging a firearm in city limits, the other
  is murder or aggravated assult or some such.

Do you really believe that adding possession of an unregistered gun
to the list will stop any one?  As for cause to arrest someone before
they commit a 'crime'.  Possession of a loaded gun in plain sight or
not is already covered by several of the above laws.  We can already
lock them away.

7.  It takes about 10 minutes if you are slow to put a hacksaw to
a shotgun and make a more leathal weapon that is cheaper and just
as small as most handguns.  Also easier to buy.  The handgun is
notoriously inaccurate and low in power when compared to rifles
and shotguns.  (which is why many sportsmen prefer to hunt with
handguns - adds chalenge.  And keeps more deer safe :-) )
I don't want the criminal element learning to use sawed off shotguns
rather than handguns.  Ronnie was shot at close range by a hand gun
and lived.  Kennedy was shot at long range with a rifle and died.
Ford was completely missed by a handgun.  Keep criminals ignorant
and using handguns.

--

jhull@spp2.UUCP (01/10/85)

In article <297@desint.UUCP> geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:
>John D. McDonald said it best.  The difference between a handgun and a knife
>is that a handgun is impersonal.  To successfully murder with a knife, you
>have to come close enough to engage in a struggle (and usually do so), and
>most of the time you have to stab repeatedly to actually achieve a kill,
>despite the fact that blood is very likely gushing from the first wound.
>Not a project for the weak of stomach.

A point of view with which I agree completely.

>With a gun, on the other hand, you can be across the room.  A small sickly
>person can, in a moment of anger, snatch up a gun, point, squeeze, and fell
>a burly man.  The first shot is usually enough.  This is not at all the same
>thing.

Again, I agree.  I also know that a small sickly person can snatch up
a gun, point, squeeze, and fell a burly mugger/rapist/...

>Another thing McDonald said:  "the only two things you can kill with a
>handgun are beer cans and people."  I have never heard that successfully
>refuted.  Handguns are good target weapons;  like anything they can be fun
>to collect.  They are not good for hunting.
Please, let me be the first to refute it.  In 1977, I shot and killed
a 5 point buck deer with a Ruger Super Blackhawk, a .44 caliber,
single-action revolver.  It dressed out at somewhere around 100 pounds
and was subsequently eaten with great enjoyment.

>Oh, right, the burglar.  RRRRRIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHTTTTTTT.  You're going to
>wake up in the middle of the night, rip that pistol out from under your
>pillow, and plug that sucker square between the eyes.  Starting from a sound
>sleep, and beating the guy to the draw.  RRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHHHTTTTTTT.
>If you're quick enough to beat the guy to the draw, I bet it turns out to be
>your brother on a surprise visit.  Any *really* dangerous intruder is going
>to be armed, cocked, and jumpy.

For anyone interested in protecting his life and the lives of his
family, I recommend a short-barrel 12 gauge shotgun, behind a simple
home security alarm system.  Total cost in the neighborhood of $400.
The alarm wakes you up, you get the shotgun, and, if the jerk hasn't
left, you have sufficient reason to believe he doesn't intend to, so
kill him.  I suggest #6 or #8 birdshot rather than anything heavier
because it won't penetrate walls and, therefore, isn't a danger to
your neighbors or family members.

>Royko's first prize went to a fellow who picked up his gun instead of the
>ringing phone, and shot himself in the ear.  That's the sort of thing sleepy
>people do.
>	Geoff Kuenning

Yes, they do.  We all do stupid things occasionally and we all have to
pay, in one form or another, for our mistakes.  If I ever do something
like this, go ahead and laugh at me,  I'll deserve it.

--
					Blessed Be,

 					Jeff Hull
 ihnp4!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!jhull		13817 Yukon Ave.
					Hawthorne, CA 90250

bermes@ihu1m.UUCP (Terry Bermes) (01/10/85)

    Sunny Kirsten writes of the NRA:

  "It also supports the second ammendment to the US
Constitution, which many people seem to forget exists."

  However, the second amendment, in its entirety, reads:

  "A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

   This hardly seems to support a private citizen's claim of the right to
own a handgun. As a matter of fact on October 3, 1983, the Supreme Court
refused to overturn a handgun law in Morton Grove, Illinois. The Supreme
Court let stand a Court of Appeals ruling which stated,"....possession
of handguns by individuals is not part of the right to keep and bear arms...".

The quote above comes from the phamphlet "Handgun Facts" distributed by
Handgun Control, Inc. Of course this will probably be immediately discounted
by those opposed to handgun control because the information comes from a
pro-control (not pro-ban) organization.
                                        Terry Bermes

devine@asgb.UUCP (01/10/85)

> > > Last year, Handguns killed
> > > 	10,728 in the united states
> >
> > Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
> > People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
> > --
> > {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny
>
> The question raised by the numbers given in the original
> letter, most of which you have left out, is whether these
> People who kill People would have done so if they did
> not have access to handguns.  Studies say no; what do you say?
>
> David Albert -- ihnp4!ut-sally!harvard!albert (ARPAnet)

  The answer is not a strict 'yes' or 'no' to this.  The studies
that I read (some 3 years ago) show that in situations where a
person has a knife instead of a gun, that person is only 1/5th as
likely to kill someone.  The study attempted to even out the
differences so that the 20% figure was not for an apples-and-oranges
type of comparison.

Bob Devine

daly@nybcb.UUCP (daly) (01/11/85)

>From cmcl2!seismo!harvard!godot!mit-eddie!genrad!decvax!decwrl!CSL-Vax!pallas Fri Jan  4 12:41:49 1985
>Subject: Re: Merry Christmas from the NRA
>Newsgroups: net.politics,net.rec
>Guns don't shoot people, bullets shoot people.
>Guns shoot bullets.
>People shoot guns.
>Criminals, fools, and hunters shoot people.
>The NRA does NOT shoot criminals, fools, or hunters.
>Too bad, since the NRA seems to be composed of criminals, fools, and hunters.
>Which category wants armor-piercing bullets to be legal?
>Which category believes Saturday-night specials are used for sport?
>Which category thinks a man in a red plaid shirt wearing a bright orange
>vest looks like a 12-point buck?
>Which category ignores the statistics on how many people are shot with their
>own guns, or how many shoot family members they thought were burglars, or
>how many people are shot because someone was blazing angry and there was a
>gun right there?
>
>If Uzi semi-automatic machine guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have Uzi
>semi-automatic machine guns.  But at least psychos who walk into McDonald's
>and shoot everyone in sight won't.
>
>joe
>
>Anyone who disagrees with me is welcome to come shoot me.  You'll feel better.

 In regards the above statement about the NRA being composed of criminals,
 fools, and hunters: Well one out of three isn't too bad,for a warped liberal,
 that is.  I take particular offense to your remark. I have a lot of friends who
 are NRA members & although they are hunters, they are not criminals or fools.
 I, myself am not a member, but I do think it is a good organization. I am now
 considering joining.

                                              seismo!cmcl2!nybcb!daly

wjafyfe@watmath.UUCP (Andy Fyfe) (01/11/85)

In article <1924@sun.uucp> sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) writes:
>This country was founded on the principle of rugged individualism and
>self sufficiency and self-responsibility.  I see you're too much of a
>wimp to watch out for your own life, and so would have the government
>deprive the rest of us of our constitutional right to defend ourselves
>against the nuts you keep seeing fit to release on the street, no
>matter how many times they commit violent crimes.  You obviously also
>have never lived outside an urban area or you'd realize that the police
>can't do a damn thing to keep your ass alive, and will merely come
>after the fact to mop you up and file reports and explain (not very)
>sadly to your widow how you died.  For those of us who have lived or do
>live in rural areas, there simply aren't enough police to go around,
>nor would we want to live in the required police state to have same,
>and we feel we must take responsibility for our own lives, and protect
>our own asses from death at the hands of some nut you city folk have
>released after he's committed numerous crimes against humanity.  There
>is NO substitute for a handgun in the defense of your own life.
>Although it might seem to you to be a bad idea to have everyone
>wandering around the city with a sidearm on their hip, there is no
>substitute in the country.

If Sunny's representative, I not sure graduate school in the US is
such a good idea!

--andy fyfe		...!{decvax, allegra, ihnp4, et. al}!watmath!wjafyfe
			wjafyfe@waterloo.csnet

franka@hercules.UUCP (Frank Adrian) (01/11/85)

In article <297@desint.UUCP> geoff@desint.UUCP (Geoff Kuenning) writes:
>Royko's first prize went to a fellow who picked up his gun instead of the
>ringing phone, and shot himself in the ear.  That's the sort of thing sleepy
>people do.  Me, I like Larry Niven's/Jerry Pournelle's phrase:  "think of
>it as evolution in action."
>--
	Well, Geoff, if that's the way you think of it, why do you want to
stop evolution? You aren't one of those creationists, are you???
					"Same as it ever was..."
						Frank Adrian

mjk@tty3b.UUCP (Mike Kelly) (01/11/85)

Do the pro-gun people have any suggestion other than arming everyone to the
teeth and shooting it out in the subways and streets of America?

egs@epsilon.UUCP (Ed Sheppard) (01/12/85)

> If Sunny's representative, I not sure graduate school in the US is
> such a good idea!
>
> --andy fyfe		...!{decvax, allegra, ihnp4, et. al}!watmath!wjafyfe
> 			wjafyfe@waterloo.csnet

If Andy is representative, I'm not sure attending graduate school in Canada is
such a good idea!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :-)

						Ed Sheppard
						Bell Communications Research

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (01/12/85)

> 	...!ihnp4!trwrb!desint!geoff Geoff Kuenning writes:
> In article <1912@sun.uucp> sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) writes:
>

> >> Last year, Handguns killed
> >>
> >> 	10,728 in the united states
> >
> >Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
> >People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
>
> Bullshit, Sunny.  You had to quote out of context to make your assertion
> anything less than ludicrous.  Let's remember the whole article:  41 people
> in West Germany, 11 in Great Britain, etc.  So you are telling us that
> Americans are 26165% more murderous than Germans.
Yes, I am.  Our culture is rampant with violence.  Turn on your televison
and watch how we're being indoctrinated to ACCEPT violence as normal.  You
don't see any where near as much real love (ref: net.singles: what is love?)
as you do real violence on the BIG BROTHER BOX

> [numerous ancedotal evidence of bozos having accidents]
there are more accidental deaths from automobiles than from guns.

> John D. McDonald said it best.  The difference between a handgun and a knife
> is that a handgun is impersonal.  To successfully murder with a knife, you
> have to come close enough to engage in a struggle (and usually do so), and
> most of the time you have to stab repeatedly to actually achieve a kill,
> despite the fact that blood is very likely gushing from the first wound.
> Not a project for the weak of stomach.
>
> With a gun, on the other hand, you can be across the room.  A small sickly
> person can, in a moment of anger, snatch up a gun, point, squeeze, and fell
> a burly man.  The first shot is usually enough.  This is not at all the same
> thing.
So fucking what?  And you'd deprive your grandmother the right to stop an
intruder in her house from raping her visiting grandaughter?

> Another thing McDonald said:  "the only two things you can kill with a
> handgun are beer cans and people."  I have never heard that successfully
> refuted.  Handguns are good target weapons;  like anything they can be fun
> to collect.  They are not good for hunting.
Wrong again.  There are quite a few who take handgun hunting quite seriously.
> So I have to confess real
> suspicion about the people who are so rabid about defending handguns.  Who
> do they want to shoot?
Rapists, criminals, burglers, and anyone else who invites themselves into my
home

> Oh, right, the burglar.  RRRRRIIIIIIGGGGGGHHHHHHTTTTTTT.  You're going to
> wake up in the middle of the night, rip that pistol out from under your
> pillow, and plug that sucker square between the eyes.  Starting from a sound
> sleep, and beating the guy to the draw.  RRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGHHHHHHHTTTTTTT.
No, I'm not that stupid.  The burgler alarm will let me get the drop on him
and perform a citizens arrest.
> If you're quick enough to beat the guy to the draw, I bet it turns out to be
> your brother on a surprise visit.  Any *really* dangerous intruder is going
> to be armed, cocked, and jumpy.
Yes, but so am I, especially when awakened in the middle of the night by
things which go bump.

> Royko's first prize went to a fellow who picked up his gun instead of the
> ringing phone, and shot himself in the ear.  That's the sort of thing sleepy
> people do.  Me, I like Larry Niven's/Jerry Pournelle's phrase:  "think of
> it as evolution in action."
> --
Oh, it is, it is.  Welcome to 1984, you lover of Big Brother.
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (01/13/85)

> If Sunny's representative, I not sure graduate school in the US is
> such a good idea!
>
> --andy fyfe		...!{decvax, allegra, ihnp4, et. al}!watmath!wjafyfe
> 			wjafyfe@waterloo.csnet

say what?  I don't know any graduate schools teaching firearms safety, I
haven't been to graduate school, and I didn't see any other mention of
graduate schools in the rest of the discussion on:
the right to arm bears.
Therefore, I presume you've reconsidered coming from Canada to the US for
your graduate work?
In any case, I'm only representative of myself.
				Sunny
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (01/13/85)

> Do the pro-gun people have any suggestion other than arming everyone to the
> teeth and shooting it out in the subways and streets of America?
Yes, fix the revolving-door "due-process" system so that criminals are kept
off the streets, so they don't keep getting out of the slammer to repeatedly
mug,rob,rape and kill.  When there is the fear of death in the minds of
criminals, then crime will stop, and not till then.  Because they know they
can get away with murder and literally be back out on the streets in a max of
7 years with good behaviour even on a "life" sentence, they continue to find
crime profitable.  When they fear that plain-vanilla citizens will shoot back
(un-ban handguns), or that they will in fact either remain in jail for life,
or get killed by the justice system, then they will stop being criminals.
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

josh@topaz.ARPA (J Storrs Hall) (01/13/85)

> > > Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
> > > People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
> > > --
> > > {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny
> >
> > People who kill People would have done so if they did
> > not have access to handguns.  Studies say no; what do you say?
> >
> > David Albert -- ihnp4!ut-sally!harvard!albert (ARPAnet)
>
> [If] person has a knife instead of a gun, that person is only 1/5th as
> likely to kill someone.
>
> Bob Devine

So what?  All that this means is that when you intend to kill
someone, you're more likely to pick a gun than a knife.  This
may reflect the ease of use of the tool, or only its reputation.
And what does it have to do with gun "control"?  In Japan, with
its strict controls, assault is twice as likely to result in
death as in the US.  My personal interpretation is that Japanese
are much less likely to attack unless they really intend to kill.

--JoSH

cjn@calmasd.UUCP (Cheryl Nemeth) (01/13/85)

In article <tty3b.569> mjk@tty3b.UUCP (Mike Kelly) writes:
>Do the pro-gun people have any suggestion other than arming everyone to the
>teeth and shooting it out in the subways and streets of America?

I would doubt it.
--
Cheryl Nemeth
All opinions expressed in this article are my own, and do not necessarily

"Life is a series of rude awakenings"
				R. V. Winkle [Robert Asprin]

cjn@calmasd.UUCP (Cheryl Nemeth) (01/13/85)

How about creating a net.guns (or net.politics.guns)? There is definately
enough interest.
--

nrh@inmet.UUCP (01/14/85)

>***** inmet:net.politics / ihu1m!gadfly /  4:47 pm  Jan  4, 1985
>--
>[Sunny Kirsten]
>>> Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
>>> People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
>
>Perhaps.  If armed with knives, clubs, or nothing at all, people
>who kill must feel the destruction of another's flesh (unless they're
>drugged into oblivion).  With a gun, though, you can shoot at an
>abstraction, deal death at a distance.  People who fire guns at others
>may not, in their own minds, be killing real individuals.  But I don't
>know, I've never done it.  Are there any war vets, ex-cops, or other
>folks out there who have intentionally fired a gun at a person?

Look, Ken.  In the case of handgun-only control, these
squeamish people you're talking about would NOT arm themselves with
knives, but with long guns, or perhaps sawed-off shotguns.

Those advocating controlling, or banning ALL such weapons, please say so.

nrh@inmet.UUCP (01/14/85)

>***** inmet:net.politics / desint!geoff /  9:26 pm  Jan 10, 1985
>In article <1912@sun.uucp> sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) writes:
>

>>> Last year, Handguns killed
>>>
>>> 	10,728 in the united states
>>
>>Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
>>People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
>
>Bullshit, Sunny.  You had to quote out of context to make your assertion
>anything less than ludicrous.  Let's remember the whole article:  41 people
>in West Germany, 11 in Great Britain, etc.  So you are telling us that
>Americans are 26165% more murderous than Germans.
>
>To quote Bill Cosby,
>
>    RRRRIIIIGGGGHHHHTTTTT.

What a remarkable article -- Sunny was making the point that whatever number
of killings with guns there was, it was due to people, not guns.  YOU on
the other hand, do the following computation:

	10728 killings (America)
        ------------------------  = 261.65
          41 killings (Germany)

Therefore, Americans are 26165% more murderous than Germans.

This, all by itself, probably deserves a chapter in "How to Lie with
Statistics".

You did not correct for relative population, (just as a start), nor
do you have any control for Germans and Americans under the same
laws (so that you can evaluate how they respond to different ones), nor
do you compare the relative homicide rates for ALL types of killings.

And you have the GALL to claim that Sunny "quoted out of context"!

Next time, take it to net.flame: we have SOME standards here (I hope!)

karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) (01/14/85)

----------
>Do the pro-gun people have any suggestion other than arming everyone to the
>teeth and shooting it out in the subways and streets of America?
----------
Good heavens, yes. I don't exactly  walk  around with a firearm under my arm
now  myself.  Nor do I wish to. But I expect to be able to do so if  I  feel
it's necessary.

Just for starters,  how  about  properly enforcing  the  laws already on the
books concerning crimes committed with a deadly weapoon? The frequency  with
which a criminal convicted of  a  violent  crime is released on probation is
alarmingly  high. I personally am in favor of a minimum sentence of, say,  5
or 10 years with no chance  of  parole for  those  convicted of such violent
crimes.

This is one of the gun owner's primary complaints with attempts to "control"
firearms  of any kind: they add to the legislative burden of the  gun  owner
himself while expressing  no  readily-identifiable  concern to deal properly
with those who have already demonstrated their antisocial behavior.
--
Karl Kleinpaste @ Bell Labs, Columbus   614/860-5107  +==-> cbrma!kk
                @ Ohio State University 614/422-0915  osu-eddie!karl

cej@ll1.UUCP (One of the Jones Boys) (01/14/85)

> No, I'm not that stupid.  The burgler alarm will let me get the
> drop on him and perform a citizens arrest.
>
> {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

	Ahh yes, the armed homeowner v.s. the unidentified intruder.

	Let's assume for the moment that it is an intruder, not your
child, or a guest you forgot you had.

	Scenario number 1:  You shout "Freeze buddy, I've got a gun,
and I'm making a citizens arrest!"  The intruder, also armed, given
your kindly warning about your gun, turns and blows you away.

	Scenario number 2:  Not wanting to be shot, you shoot the
intruder at first glance.

	Could you handle number 2?  Really?  Becasue it's the only
way you'll get him.  He's prepared to kill, or he wouldn't be in
your house with a gun.  Are you?  Really?

"Christ never carried a gun."		Chuck Jones
"Christ was never mugged!"		...mgnetp!ll1!cej

"...Oh..."

cjn@calmasd.UUCP (Cheryl Nemeth) (01/14/85)

In article <sun.1936> sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) writes:
>> Do the pro-gun people have any suggestion other than arming everyone to the
>> teeth and shooting it out in the subways and streets of America?
>Yes, fix the revolving-door "due-process" system so that criminals are kept
>off the streets, so they don't keep getting out of the slammer to repeatedly
>mug,rob,rape and kill.  When there is the fear of death in the minds of
>criminals, then crime will stop, and not till then.  Because they know they
>can get away with murder and literally be back out on the streets in a max of
>7 years with good behaviour even on a "life" sentence, they continue to find
>crime profitable.  When they fear that plain-vanilla citizens will shoot back
>(un-ban handguns), or that they will in fact either remain in jail for life,
>or get killed by the justice system, then they will stop being criminals.
>--
>{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

Brilliant idea, banning due process. Why not just toss out the Constitution?
After all, there are lots of things in it that aren't useful in a modern
society. (banning slavery, freedom of the press, trial by jury; you name it and
it's in there.) Just think of all the people we could keep in jail if it
didn't exist!
--

lab@qubix.UUCP (Q-Bick) (01/15/85)

> > Do the pro-gun people have any suggestion other than arming everyone to the
> > teeth and shooting it out in the subways and streets of America?
> Yes, fix the revolving-door "due-process" system so that criminals are kept
> off the streets, so they don't keep getting out of the slammer to repeatedly
> mug,rob,rape and kill.  When there is the fear of death in the minds of
> criminals, then crime will stop, and not till then.  Because they know they
> can get away with murder and literally be back out on the streets in a max of
> 7 years with good behaviour even on a "life" sentence, they continue to find
> crime profitable.  When they fear that plain-vanilla citizens will shoot back
> (un-ban handguns), or that they will in fact either remain in jail for life,
> or get killed by the justice system, then they will stop being criminals.
> --
> {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

The cities that have adopted MANDATORY weapon ordinances (e.g., the one
in Georgia that did it just to spite Morton Grove) have all experienced
a significant DECREASE in crime.
--
		The Ice Floe of Larry Bickford
		{amd,decwrl,sun,idi,ittvax}!qubix!lab

You can't settle the issue until you've settled how to settle the issue.

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (01/15/85)

*
> Do the pro-gun people have any suggestion other than arming everyone to the
> teeth and shooting it out in the subways and streets of America?

	"An armed society is a polite one."

		Robert A. Heinlein
--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382

wjafyfe@watmath.UUCP (Andy Fyfe) (01/15/85)

In article <1935@sun.uucp> sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) writes:
>> If Sunny's representative, I not sure graduate school in the US is
>> such a good idea!
>>
>> --andy fyfe		...!{decvax, allegra, ihnp4, et. al}!watmath!wjafyfe
>> 			wjafyfe@waterloo.csnet
>
>say what?  I don't know any graduate schools teaching firearms safety, I
>haven't been to graduate school, and I didn't see any other mention of
>graduate schools in the rest of the discussion on:
>the right to arm bears.
>Therefore, I presume you've reconsidered coming from Canada to the US for
>your graduate work?
>In any case, I'm only representative of myself.
>				Sunny
>--
>{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

The figures, as I recall, were about 50 deaths in Canada, 10,000 in the
US.  About 200 times more, for a country only 10 times larger.  What you
are trying to tell me is that these figures reflect the relative danger
in living in the US (after all, you seem to think you *need* to own a
hand gun, while I've never felt that threatened here).  Do I want to
spend 5 years living in the US if it's as bad as you make it seem?  Just
for the record, how does crime in general compare?  Does the 20 times
figure (one tenth of 200) still apply? (Might be interesting to compare
these figures, particularly the armed vs unarmed crimes.)

I thought the word "militia" was right next to "right to bear arms".
Must mean something else to me.

Clearly we have very opposite and strongly held viewpoints, so I'll be
quiet now (there's no point in arguing -- it'll go nowhere).

josh@topaz.ARPA (J Storrs Hall) (01/15/85)

    ... I'm sure you're all tired of seeing this by now...
> >....  So you are telling us that
> >Americans are 26165% more murderous than Germans.
>
> This, all by itself, probably deserves a chapter in "How to Lie with
> Statistics".
>
> You did not correct for relative population, (just as a start), nor
> do you have any control for Germans and Americans under the same
> laws (so that you can evaluate how they respond to different ones), nor
> do you compare the relative homicide rates for ALL types of killings.

That particular comparison, as the astute reader will have inferred
from something I posted earlier, is straight from HCI's "Guns Don't Die,
People Do."  It can be distinguished from "How to Lie with Statistics"
in that it consists only of the examples.

--JoSH

karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) (01/15/85)

-------
> 	Ahh yes, the armed homeowner v.s. the unidentified intruder.
> 	Let's assume for the moment that it is an intruder, not your
> child, or a guest you forgot you had.
> 	Scenario number 1:  You shout "Freeze buddy, I've got a gun,
> and I'm making a citizens arrest!"  The intruder, also armed, given
> your kindly warning about your gun, turns and blows you away.
> 	Scenario number 2:  Not wanting to be shot, you shoot the
> intruder at first glance.
> 	Could you handle number 2?  Really?  Becasue it's the only
> way you'll get him.  He's prepared to kill, or he wouldn't be in
> your house with a gun.  Are you?  Really?
----------
We've gone the rounds on this one before, I think.

S#1: If you're stupid enough  to  stand where  you can be seen when you make
the statement, you deserve what you get. "Evolution in action," and all that.

S#2: No person trained in firearms  fires at anything until it is completely
identified.  Nor would he fire without provocation; the courts have  a  hard
time with that, and for good reason.

Go ahead, create such  scenarios.  All they  demonstrate is your own lack of
understanding  of the proper use of firearms, and they do not  detract  from
the validity of the arguments of those of us who do understand.

A better solution all around, given  the above conditions, is to hide first,
out  of  sight, then announce your intentions about arrest and such.  If  he
fires at you then (he'd be firing rather blindly since you're out of sight),
you  are entitled to return fire in self-defense. If he flees, so  much  the
better.  Suggestions for better solutions than this are certainly welcome.

If you're not willing to fire at  all, you'd  best not challenge any burglar
any time.
--

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (01/15/85)

> > No, I'm not that stupid.  The burgler alarm will let me get the
> > drop on him and perform a citizens arrest.
> >
> > {ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny
>
> 	Ahh yes, the armed homeowner v.s. the unidentified intruder.
>
> 	Let's assume for the moment that it is an intruder, not your
> child, or a guest you forgot you had.
>
> 	Scenario number 1:  You shout "Freeze buddy, I've got a gun,
> and I'm making a citizens arrest!"  The intruder, also armed, given
> your kindly warning about your gun, turns and blows you away.
>
> 	Scenario number 2:  Not wanting to be shot, you shoot the
> intruder at first glance.
>
> 	Could you handle number 2?  Really?  Becasue it's the only
> way you'll get him.  He's prepared to kill, or he wouldn't be in
> your house with a gun.  Are you?  Really?
>

> "Christ never carried a gun."		Chuck Jones
> "Christ was never mugged!"		...mgnetp!ll1!cej
>
> "...Oh..."

Yes, I really am prepared to pump 7 hollow-point slugs into the guy.
It may cost me an incarnation or two of bad karma, but I really would
blow-away anyone who trys to deprive me or mine of life, or the
property required to sustain that life.  And those who live in my house
and who have keys to legally enter it, are well known to me, and are
well aware of the need to not sneak around in the dark, and are also
educated in the ways of firearms.  The way to prevent accidents with
firearms is not to keep them away from {the spouse,children}, but to
educate them in their useage and their dangers.  Yes, I understand the
need to either appear unarmed or immediately blast away.  You never
point a gun at anything you wouldn't hesitate to kill.  Otherwise you're
only increasing your chances of death by escalating to deadly force
an otherwise non-deadly confrontation.  The laws are very clear that
there are no restrictions on carry or concealment of weapons at your
office or on your property (home).  You may see fit to re-re-re-release
criminals onto the streets, but I ain't takin' no shit from no-one on
my property or in my home.  I ain't the fastest draw nor the surest hit,
but I ain't yielding to threat of force neither.
			... down on the farm
			... in the wild west
				Sunny
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (01/15/85)

> In article <1935@sun.uucp> sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) writes:
> >> If Sunny's representative, I not sure graduate school in the US is
> >> such a good idea!
> >>
> >> --andy fyfe		...!{decvax, allegra, ihnp4, et. al}!watmath!wjafyfe
> >> 			wjafyfe@waterloo.csnet
> >
> >say what?  I don't know any graduate schools teaching firearms safety, I
> >haven't been to graduate school, and I didn't see any other mention of
> >graduate schools in the rest of the discussion on:
> >the right to arm bears.
> >Therefore, I presume you've reconsidered coming from Canada to the US for
> >your graduate work?
> >In any case, I'm only representative of myself.
> >				Sunny
> >--
> >{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny
>
> The figures, as I recall, were about 50 deaths in Canada, 10,000 in the
> US.  About 200 times more, for a country only 10 times larger.  What you
> are trying to tell me is that these figures reflect the relative danger
> in living in the US (after all, you seem to think you *need* to own a
> hand gun, while I've never felt that threatened here).  Do I want to
> spend 5 years living in the US if it's as bad as you make it seem?  Just
> for the record, how does crime in general compare?  Does the 20 times
> figure (one tenth of 200) still apply? (Might be interesting to compare
> these figures, particularly the armed vs unarmed crimes.)
>
> I thought the word "militia" was right next to "right to bear arms".
> Must mean something else to me.
>
> Clearly we have very opposite and strongly held viewpoints, so I'll be
> quiet now (there's no point in arguing -- it'll go nowhere).
>
> --Andy Fyfe		...!{decvax, allegra, ihnp4, et. al}!watmath!wjafyfe
> 			wjafyfe@waterloo.csnet

Far better to take the Swiss approach of arming every citizen and letting
the people defend their country, than to have a band of mercenaries hired
by the government (sometimes called an Army) at the political whims of the
President.  This country was founded on the principle of the wisdom of the
People to carry out a just government, and keeping all the people armed
to let them defend against the tyrrany of a government out of control.
Those who left europes tyrranical governments to found the U.S of A. were
determined that they should not again find themselves under a tyrranical
government, and that that government should answer to the people.  The
only guarantee of that is the ability of the armed populace to oust the
government by force when the governmentally enacted procedures fail to
keep it in check.  When the government trys to disarm the populace, you
know it's become tyrranical.  For a just government has no fear of an
armed populace.  Thomas Jefferson was quite a revolutionary radical, no?
Go ahead, forfeit YOUR freedom and arms to the government.  That's the
first step toward state slavery.  I believe in the constitution.

I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the united states of america.
And to the republic for which it stands.  One nation under god,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Our President, congressmen, and senators are sworn to uphold the
constitution of the U.S.  It's not clear to me they weren't lying.
I'm prepared to give my life upholding that constitution, and the principles
it embodies.  It very clearly indicates that it supports the rights
and freedoms of the individual, free of the tyrrany of oppressive government.
Support your country, but never trust it's government.
It takes eternal vigilance to keep your hard-won freedoms.
There are many who would take away your personal freedoms in the interest
of furthering their economic or political interests.
Watch them carefully, and vote them out of office when they threaten
personal freedoms.  When voting fails to remove them, the government
has become tyrranical.  And when that is the case, the "government" is
no longer a constitutional government, and no longer IS the government
of this land which is governed by a piece of paper, the constitution.

				Sunny
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

johnsson@chalmers.UUCP (Thomas Johnsson) (01/16/85)

In article <1912@sun.uucp> sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) writes:

>> Last year, Handguns killed
>>
>> 	10,728 in the united states
>
>Fact is, Handguns never kill anyone.
>People kill People, and they use a variety of tools to do so.
>--
>{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

That may well be so. But a Nervous Human Being behaves the same way
wherever he/she are; and is a weapon is available in a nervous situation,
it is likely to be used. A handgun is an unusually effective way of
killing the other guy. The figures speak for themselves.
--
Thomas Johnsson		..decvax!mcvax!enea!chalmers!johnsson
Chalmers University of Technology, Goteborg, Sweden

josh@topaz.ARPA (J Storrs Hall) (01/16/85)

> The figures, as I recall, were about 50 deaths in Canada, 10,000 in the
> US.  About 200 times more, for a country only 10 times larger.  What you
> are trying to tell me is that these figures reflect the relative danger
> in living in the US (after all, you seem to think you *need* to own a
> hand gun, while I've never felt that threatened here).  Do I want to
> spend 5 years living in the US if it's as bad as you make it seem?  Just
> for the record, how does crime in general compare?  Does the 20 times
> figure (one tenth of 200) still apply? (Might be interesting to compare
> these figures, particularly the armed vs unarmed crimes.)

Alright...all the below figures are RATES, ie crimes per 100,000 population
per year, and are thus directly comparable:

The murder rate in the US varies considerably depending on where you live.
In North Dakota, it's 1.2, in New York, it's 10.3.  In Canada, by comparison,
it is 5.9.  Violent crime rates: N.Dakota, 67, New York 841, Canada 592.
Property crimes, N.D. 2405, NY 5792, Canada 4672.  New Jersey is similar
to Canada on all counts.  In general, the denser the population, the
higher the crime rates.  The US is more urbanized than Canada.  But
if you're moving, you can (should) pick your spot...

By the way, the "handgun deaths" figures the gun-haters quote is quite
misleading; the number of homocides per year my almanac lists for
Canada is 1400.  Canada's pistol laws seem only to have altered the
*distribution by weapon* of its murders.

--JoSH

daf@ccice6.UUCP (David Fader) (01/16/85)

> In article <tty3b.569> mjk@tty3b.UUCP (Mike Kelly) writes:
> >Do the pro-gun people have any suggestion other than arming everyone to the
> >teeth and shooting it out in the subways and streets of America?
>
> I would doubt it.
> --
> Cheryl Nemeth

I already answered "No". Please stop this plagiarism at once.

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (01/16/85)

	It is sort of an aside, but it is not wise to confront
an intruder in your home.  The best thing to do is to shut
the bedroom door and say in a loud voice.

	"There is someone in the house dear.   I have the shotgun,
	 you call the police."

	You probably do not even need a shotgun, though I would
prefer to have one.
--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382
109 Torrey Pine Terr.
Santa Cruz, Calif. 95060
ihnp4!pesnta  -\
fortune!idsvax -> scc!steiny
ucbvax!twg    -/

wm@tekchips.UUCP (Wm Leler) (01/25/85)

The right to Bare arms?
Shouldn't this discussion be in net.rec.nude?

	:-) wm