[net.politics] Anyone interested in a firearms enthusiasts' mailing list?

karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) (01/21/85)

[The  reason  for  including  net.politics  should  be  obvious;  it's  only
incidentally in that group...]

I'm putting out a little feeler into the net to see if there might be enough
interest  out  there  to support a mailing list  for  people  interested  in
firearms.  Specifically,  I'm   thinking  of  a  semi-technical  list,  with
discussions  on  places to shoot, maintenance suggestions, issues  of  legal
significance,  favorite  firearms,   known  problems  with  some  particular
firearm, or whatever else one might want to discuss in this general category.

I'm suggesting it as a mailing list  for  the time being because, although I
think there's substantial interest out there, I doubt that it's large enough
to support a newsgroup of its  own.  If interest  grows  substantially, that
might change.

So: if you're  interested  in  something along  these  lines,  please MAIL a
response  to  me  (that's  a "reply" [r] command,  not  a  "followup"  [f/F]
command), and we'll see how this develops.  Again, **MAIL ONLY PLEASE.**

Also, please note that my  best  address  for mail is cbrma!kk, which can be
reached via ihnp4 or cbosgd.
--
Karl Kleinpaste @ Bell Labs, Columbus   614/860-5107  +==-> cbrma!kk
                @ Ohio State University 614/422-0915  osu-eddie!karl

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (01/24/85)

I've mailed my vote already, but I do want to post a strong concern
regarding this: If such a list is established, it should operate under
the same restrictions that many other special-interest groups have --
that is, there should be NO debate about the basic subject.

Just as it is flat WRONG to use "net.women.only" to post anti-feminist
or anti-women messages, or to use "net.motss" to post anti-homosexual
statements, or to use "net.rec.nude" to claim that public nudity is
a terrible thing, etc., it should be wrong to post anti-gun (or pro-
gun-control) statements in "net.rec.guns", if one is so established.

The whole purpose of such a group would be for the pleasurable chat
and exchange of information regarding a HOBBY. The purpose of having
a hobby is to enjoy oneself for some periods of non-work time. If
such a group ends up to be a seething pit of gun-control flamage,
it is effectively spoiled as an enjoyable "clubroom" for a meeting
of like minds. If such a degeneration is inevitable, I would much
rather that no "firearms" group ever was created -- seeing the
desecration and destruction of what might have been an enjoyable
thing would be too painful. (I expect that some of the founders or
original participants in groups like net.motss might feel just the
same way about what happened to those groups over time.)

I volunteer to be the moderator if the only way this could be saved
would be to make it "mod.rec.guns". I never volunteered to be so
involved in a USENET group before, because I have USENET access only
by the courtesy of the staff at BRL, who have granted me guest
access privledges. It would involve shipping any postings mailed to
me back to BRL, via FTP, from my non-USENET main account, where all
mail to me is auto-forwarded. The work would be worth it, to save
such a group from sinking into degeneracy from the start.

This is probably exactly what many people would NOT want in a
moderator -- explicit content and opinion control. Nonetheless,
that is the way I would do it, were I to have the position. (Who
would decide this anyway?)

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) (01/26/85)

Will Martin makes some very good points about the soon-to-be-created mailing
list for those interested and involved with firearms in a sporting manner.

----------
> I've mailed my vote already, but I do want to post a strong concern
> regarding this: If such a list is established, it should operate under
> the same restrictions that many other special-interest groups have --
> that is, there should be NO debate about the basic subject.
>
> Just as it is flat WRONG to use "net.women.only" to post anti-feminist
> or anti-women messages, or to use "net.motss" to post anti-homosexual
> statements, or to use "net.rec.nude" to claim that public nudity is
> a terrible thing, etc., it should be wrong to post anti-gun (or pro-
> gun-control) statements in "net.rec.guns", if one is so established.
>
> Will Martin
a  place  where people interested in firearms can go to "talk shop,"  as  it
were. That is, there's a  bunch  of  folk  out  there  who are interested in
firearms for the sake of their sporting value, myself included, and it would
be worthwhile  to  us  to  have  a  way  to know  each  other  and  exchange
information. Hence, I have proposed such a mailing list.

Second, it is (thus far)  envisioned  as  a  *mailing list only*. If at some
future  time,  there are too many people getting involved with  the  mailing
list, then perhaps we will decide  to propose the creation of a more typical
Usenet  newsgroup. Such a group might or might not end up  being  moderated.
But for now, there's about a dozen  people who have mailed me requests to be
added to the list. That seems mailing-list-sized to me.

As regards the problem of discussing issues like gun control, I do not think
that such will even be suggested by any of those becoming involved with  the
list. Nonetheless,  I  am  preparing  an initial  statement  of  our *raison
d'etre*  for use by Chuq Von Rospach in his monthly "list of mailing  lists"
in mod.newslists, and it already includes the comment that we do not wish to
discuss gun control. (That statement will be submitted to the list next week
for requests for revisions.) That  is not  the reason for creating the list;
that sort of thing can still be hashed out in net.{politics,flame}.

As the original  proposer  of  the  list, I  suppose  that  I  am *a priori*
offering  to be the list's moderator. That suits me fine. But the amount  of
moderation I will do is slight;  little more than collecting a bunch of mail
in  one  place,  stripping excess headers, and mailing it back  out  to  the
group. If someone posts something  to the list which is about gun control, I
expect  to  mail it back to the person with comments about it  probably  not
being appropriate.

The definition of  "appropriate"  for  this  list  may change over time. Not
much, though, I suspect. At least initially, one may safely assume that  the
general question of gun control  in  mail.{firearms,guns,whatever-we-decide}
will not present itself.

This is the last time  I'll  mention  this  on  the  net. We are, after all,
creating a private mailing list (to which anyone is welcome to subscribe, of
course), and further discussion on  the net itself should be unnecessary. We
will work all this out in early discussions about our makeup within the list
itself.

Anyone wishing to be added to the list, please drop me a note.