[net.politics] freedom and taxes

mwm@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (01/31/85)

I normally try to ignore this man, but this is just to easy.

In article <459@whuxl.UUCP> orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:
>Again, it is up to *Libertarians* who attack taxation to prove that taxation
>is a diminution of freedom in other than economic terms.
>I anxiously await a reply................
>       tim  sevener  whuxl!orb

How about freedom from supporting the war in Central America? Freedom from
paying for yet more missiles? Freedom from helping to feed the middle class
welfare bureaucracy? Freedom from supporting the baby-sitting&brainwashing
service that calls itself a public school system? Freedom from supporting
someone else's idea of a "fair" distribution of wealth? [Are there any
statists I haven't made mad yet? :-]

BTW, Tim, in answer to your comments about the libertarian myopia regarding
the state, I'll repeat the answer that's been given every time that comes
up.  There is no such myopia. The focus is on people who use force (or the
threat thereof) to control others. It doesn't matter if the people using
the force are the government, unions, businessmen, or my neighbor down the
street. Just so happens that the group most into this kind of thing is the
government, with (other) organized crime being a distant second.

I'll leave repeating the other answers that Tim likes to ignore up to
someone else.

	<mike

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (02/03/85)

I don't mean to pick on this particular posting, since the same comment applies
to many others.  Didn't I recently read that someone had created a newsgroup
dedicated to political THEORY.  When I saw that I assumed that after a short
while the number of such postings in net.politics would drop off a lot.  So
far, though, it doesn't seem to have happened.

I'd really appreciate seeing theoretical discussions move to their own
newsgroup, since I don't really want to unsubscribe to this newsgroup, but
the volume of material posted here is large, and it takes time to "n"
through large numbers of articles for each one read.
--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA