[net.politics] Whoa there! Don't sell Hitler short!

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (02/07/85)

In article <451@decwrl.UUCP> arndt@lymph.DEC writes:

>In Albert Speer's SPANDAU DIARIES, he tells how he fell under Hitler's spell.
>He went to a rally expecting to see a funny little man dressed up in a uniform
>raving and shouting like a loonie.  Well, he found a quiet well spoken, sincere
>man in a business suit (he was addressing businessmen) talking about the sad
>shape Germany was in (all too true) and how he wanted, with their support, to
>DO something about it.  My point being that Hitler was no dummy.  Don't let the
>newsreels fool you.  He tailored his speech and manner to the audience.
>Just like today's pols.  If Gobbels had had T.V.!!!

I remember an interview with Tom Hayden on the radio during the Democrat's
convention last summer.  He said that he thought that people who went out
and tried to make personal attacks on Ronald Reagan would get nowhere.  He
said that they would have to attack his policies while scrupulously
avoiding going around calling Reagan "a funny little man dressed up in a
uniform and raving and shouting like a loonie", or whatever the modern
equivalent of that would be.  Reagan is no dummy, and he does have TV, and
he has firmly planted the "likable" image in the minds of the American
electorate.
--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA