[net.politics] adendum

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (02/08/85)

Jerry, I use caps for emphasis, not shouting.  I take to heart your
advice to use _underlines_ instead.

I mean licensing people to carry guns, like licensing people to drive
which is not the same thing as licensing weapons and licensing cars.  One
is confering the right, the other is tracing the object.  Obviously not
clear in my contribution to the net.  And, since it isn't an argument
that I support, I am not interested in the details of implementation.
I just felt that conferring the right (relatively across the board, as
the 2nd amendment intended) made more sense to me in terms of apprehending
people who-shouldn't-be-carrying-weapons-but-are (the kind of people the
attorneys are really after, according to my attorney friends, through this
kind of legislation) and has a more negligible impact on people who-shouldn't-
be-hasselled-about-guns-one-way-or-another.  Again, the implementation isn't
of interest to me, cause I don't think it's broke.

And you are quite right that, given the Brits peculiarly advanced
civilization, guns haven't been confiscated in Britain - yet.  The question
to consider is what would happen if Britain became a sattelite of, say,
Northern Ireland, and every weapon was listed?  But, yes, it does
contradict my argument.  I should have included a span of time when I said
HISTORICALLY.

No, strike that -- the question to be considered _really_ is, what would
you think about repealing an article from the Bill of Rights?  Are you
comfortable with that precident, given what you know about how the courts
work?  Would we next infringe the freedoms of speech (in "necessary" ways,
of course, says our benevolent government)?  Is is paranoia to be concerned
with the preservation of the freedoms that a lot of people spent a lot of
their lives preserving that now a lot of other people are trying to rescind?
Do you really trust these other people to know what is right?  Do you put
your life and your freedoms in their hands?  Sure, that's what democracy
is, but that's also what the Bill of Rights is for -- to keep your neigh-
bor out of your opinions.

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (02/08/85)

I expect this to be my last contribution to a debate I  consider  to  be  a
futile waste of time.  Still without taking a position ....

>From: regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard)
>Newsgroups: net.politics,net.flame
>Subject: adendum
>
>Jerry, I use caps for emphasis, not shouting.  I take to heart your
>advice to use _underlines_ instead.

Didn't mean to jump on that.  I should make more allowance for new  people.
Sorry.

>I mean licensing people to carry guns, like licensing people to drive
>which is not the same thing as licensing weapons and licensing cars.  One
>is confering the right, the other is tracing the object.  ...

I believe I responded correctly to your previous posting.  Your  suggestion
seemed  to  be  to  license  everyone over 16 to carry a gun and revoke the
license when they commit a  crime  (a  concept  that,  frankly,  scares  me
spitless).  I  pointed  out that driver's licenses don't work this way, and
for obvious good reasons.  I didn't mention  licensing  guns  except  as  a
logical extension of the driver's license argument.

>                                 ...  And, since it isn't an argument
>that I support, I am not interested in the details of implementation.

Making a point with an argument you don't support?  You really  should  run
for office. (-:

>                                                           ... The question
>to consider is what would happen if Britain became a sattelite of, say,
>Northern Ireland, and every weapon was listed?

There was supposed to be a (-:  around  here  somewhere,  right?  You  just
forgot,  right?  (Suppose  the  United States became a satellite of Mexico.
Suppose the moon fell down and hit the Earth ...)

>No, strike that -- the question to be considered _really_ is, what would
>you think about repealing an article from the Bill of Rights?  ...

I haven't seen anyone propose repealing the 2nd amendment  here.  The  fact
is  that  the  "right to keep and bear arms" is _already_ infringed by both
state and federal governments.  The _only_  valid  points  for  debate  are
whether  and  how  much  the  present  infringement  should be increased or
decreased.

And that's the last I have to say on the subject.
The Polymath (Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                               If thy CRT offend thee, pluck
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                      it out and cast it from thee.
Santa Monica, California  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe