[net.politics] Cagney and Lacey

esco@ssc-vax.UUCP (Michael Esco) (02/05/85)

Did you see Cagney and Lacey last night(2/4)? It had a rather unusual
moral for a Hollywood story.

Detective Chris Cagney and victim Joe Citizen are the only witnesses willing
to testify against bad guy Moe Mugger. Joe, who is prohibited by New York
law from carrying a sidearm, is murdered in the street. Chris, with her
.357, is safe. But when her purse is stolen, leaving her helpless, Moe moves
in for the kill.

Were the Hollywood political commisars caught napping? Or is CBS just trying
to pacify Jesse Helms?
						Michael Esco
						Boeing Aerospace

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (02/07/85)

> Did you see Cagney and Lacey last night(2/4)? It had a rather unusual
> moral for a Hollywood story.
>
> Detective Chris Cagney and victim Joe Citizen are the only witnesses willing
> to testify against bad guy Moe Mugger. Joe, who is prohibited by New York
> law from carrying a sidearm, is murdered in the street. Chris, with her
> .357, is safe. But when her purse is stolen, leaving her helpless, Moe moves
> in for the kill.
>
> Were the Hollywood political commisars caught napping? Or is CBS just trying
> to pacify Jesse Helms?
> 						Michael Esco
> 						Boeing Aerospace

Let's clear up a couple of things here:  Joe Citizen was not killed on the
street, he was mugged and stabbed by Moe Mugger.  Chris probably saved his
life by her quick reaction to the screaming of some spectators.  Joe Citizen
was willing to testify against Moe, until Moe threatened him.  Joe was
terrified and fled the hospital, his apartment, and the state, probably!

I thought the moral was pretty clear...the public wants to be protected but
they are not willing to do their part (ie, testify against criminals) and then
complain because there are so many criminals on the street.  The story showed
more of Cagney's character, too.  She was acting tough and was trying to hide
the fact that she was scared by this lunatic and resented what he was doing to
her life.  I don't understand what this has to do with "Hollywood political
commisars" or "Jesse Helms".

Mike Clifford
AT&T Bell Labs

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (02/08/85)

In article <402@ssc-vax.UUCP> esco@ssc-vax.UUCP (Michael Esco) writes:
>Detective Chris Cagney and victim Joe Citizen are the only witnesses willing
>to testify against bad guy Moe Mugger.
> Chris, with her
>.357, is safe. But when her purse is stolen, leaving her helpless, Moe moves
>in for the kill.
>
>Were the Hollywood political commisars caught napping?

	Reminds me of one of the better bits on Hill Street Blues.  At the end
	of the show, Frank fumes about people carrying guns to "protect"
	themselves.  Joyce (one of the two token liberals) looks at him very
	quietly, and when he finishes says "I know.  But I've started carrying
	one too."
--
"1985:  Why 1985 isn't like 1984"

Rick Keir -- MicroComputer Information Center, MACC
1210 West Dayton St/U Wisconsin Madison/Mad WI 53706
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick

Anonymous@inmet.UUCP (02/10/85)

***** inmet:net.politics / ssc-vax!esco /  6:05 pm  Feb  7, 1985