[net.politics] Re democracy etc.

esk@wucs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) (02/11/85)

[mixed subjects]
From: cliff@unmvax.UUCP
> > Examples like [<mike's] show that democracy is absolutely the worst
> > system of government.
> > Except for all the others.
> > Including libertarianism.
> Sure, go ahead and say that democracy is great, when what you mean is what we
> have now is great...  I would *love* to see democracy on the national level.

You are right that I accept certain things about "what we have now", e.g. a
Constitution which is not easily revised.  I don't see how such features
make it any less a democracy.  Maybe what you are suggesting is *direct*
democracy as opposed to representative.  I agree, more direct democracy is
needed on a national level; let the biggest issues be decided directly.

From: mwm@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA
> Paul, name one (just one) libertarian society that has done worse than
> a democracy. Then maybe I'll consider such blatant misquotes.

Mike, name one (just one) libertarian society.  Then maybe I'll consider
such blatant absurdities.

> Oh, goodie! Reason and experience suggest that the will of the majority is
> *never* justification for using force to... Oh, you mean the reason and
> experience of the majority?

No, I mean reason and the experience of anybody and everybody.  So go ahead,
Mike, give us your evidence based on reason and experience.  We're listening.

From: mck@ratex.UUCP (Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan)
> At each possible wage-rate, workers will offer a corresponding
> amount of labour; empirical evidence and common-sense indicate that the
> amount of labour supplied will generally increase with the wage-rate, altho
> theoretically there are other possiblities (which I am willing to discuss).

Those other possibilities are more than just theoretical.  There is a trade-
off between labor and leisure; leisure is a "luxury good" so there is a
common-sense reason to expect that consumption of it might rise with rising
income.  According to one of my econ profs, studies attempting to determine
whether leisure time or labor time rises with rising wages, have found no
clear correlation either way.  So let's see your empirical evidence, and
maybe I'll ask my econ prof for his.

				--The aspiring iconoclast,
				Paul V. Torek, ihnp4!wucs!wucec1!pvt1047
Don't hit that 'r' key!  Send any mail to this address, not the sender's.