[net.politics] Seat-belt laws: It's not an issue of freedom

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (abeles) (02/08/85)

Driving is not a right, but a privilege.  Unfortunately, it's impossible
to get along without driving for most people today.  But driving has
certain inherent dangers and those dangers entail expenses.  Insurance
is the only solution to pay for those expenses.  Insurance means that
we all pay if you don't wear your seat-belt.  So you should be forced to
wear it IF you want to drive.  Nobody is forcing you to drive.

I don't think it would be practical to have different rates for those who
wear seatbelts, not any more practical than it would be to have different
roads for those who wear them.

cliff@unmvax.UUCP (02/11/85)

> Driving is not a right, but a privilege.  Unfortunately, it's impossible
> to get along without driving for most people today.  But driving has
> certain inherent dangers and those dangers entail expenses.  Insurance
> is the only solution to pay for those expenses.  Insurance means that
> we all pay if you don't wear your seat-belt.  So you should be forced to
> wear it IF you want to drive.  Nobody is forcing you to drive.

What is the matter with insurance policies that refuse to pay off to anyone
who is injured while not wearing a seatbelt.  Do you ever stop to think of
non-governmental solutions?

> I don't think it would be practical to have different rates for those who
> wear seatbelts, not any more practical than it would be to have different
> roads for those who wear them.

Why wouldn't it be practical to have different rates for those who wear
seatbelts (which is different from my suggestion above)?  There are different
rates for different ages... There are different rates for different vehicles.
People who have completed "safe driving" courses are frequently eligible for
different rates.

	--Cliff [Matthews]
	{purdue, cmcl2, ihnp4}!lanl!unmvax!cliff
	{csu-cs, pur-ee, convex, gatech, ucbvax}!unmvax!cliff
	4744 Trumbull S.E. - Albuquerque  NM  87108 - (505) 265-9143

albert@harvard.ARPA (David Albert) (02/12/85)

> Why wouldn't it be practical to have different rates for those who wear
> seatbelts ...?
>
> 	--Cliff [Matthews]

Isn't it clear that such a rate structure could never be
enforced?  If you were presented with the choice of paying
a higher rate or saying you wore a seatbelt, which would
you do?

Sure, maybe the insurance company could refuse to pay if
you were found dead in your car with your seatbelt off.
But could they prove you hadn't taken it off after the
accident?  And if it were on, could you prove that you
hadn't put it on at the last minute -- thus removing your
hands from the wheel and contributing to the accident --
to avoid losing your insurance?

--
"...sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things
before breakfast."

David Albert
ihnp4!ut-sally!harvard!albert (albert@harvard.ARPA)

mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams) (02/13/85)

Why do we have laws about on which side of the road we should drive?
Shouldn't we have the freedom to decide for ourselves ?:-)

mwm@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (02/17/85)

In article <742@erix.UUCP> mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams) writes:
>Why do we have laws about on which side of the road we should drive?
>Shouldn't we have the freedom to decide for ourselves ?:-)

Yes. Of course, driving on the wrong side of the road will make your
insurance premiums *VERY* high (cost of car/month, or greater!), and being
on the wrong side of the road otherwise will void your insurance.  And it's
(usually) easy to find out if you were on the wrong side of the road after
an accident! :-)

	<mike