[net.politics] Big Corporations 'filling the

nrh@inmet.UUCP (02/20/85)

>***** inmet:net.politics / dciem!mmt /  7:34 am  Feb 17, 1985
>
>>Goodness me.  I believe it's been pointed out several times: monopolies
>>may exist, but they are short-lived in the free market.  I myself
>>You'd better demonstrate that "monopoly" can be other than a short-lived
>>condition before you start asking people to worry about it, or do you
>>LIKE misrepresenting the situation?
>
>I'm not sure I buy the argument about monopolies being unstable
>in a free market.  It seems to rely on linearizations that may not
>be justified.  But that's not the point of this note.
>
>When a large company has a monopoly, that they are using to charge
>prices higher than their costs warrant, they will be unwilling to
>see their market share drop (much; some token sharing might be good PR).
>I suspect that not all their directors or middle-line managers will
>be good ethical libertarians, and some might like to do something
>about the situation such as a few tacks on the driveway of the competitor,
>a little rumour about safety, or perhaps a bomb or two.  Nothing that
>could be pinned on the company, of course: "just an unfortunate
>incident by a misguidedly enthusiastic subordinate, Mr. Nixon."
>Perhaps one or two people are hung out to spin in the wind, or whatever
>the expression was.  But the competition is somewhat reduced in its
>ability to compete.
>
>Another point that leads to the suspicion that monopolies might be
>more stable than the equations suggest: knowledge is power, and who
>has the knowledge tends to get more powerful.
>
>Whether monopolies based on fair competition and good production and
>pricing practices are good or bad is a totally different question.
>The arguments against state subsidies are that the state is a stable
>monopoly creating unfair competition.  Why shouldn't a fair monopoly
>break the competition by selling (for a while) at ruinously low prices?
>Once the competition is forced out, prices can go back up to cover it,
>can't they?  This (quite probable) behaviour leads to the suggestion
>that in a free market without Government intervention or regulation
>monopolies might well be both stable and bad.

I've reprinted your entire article (minus signature) to demonstrate a
point: you have yet to give an example of a stable monopoly not
regulated or otherwise helped by government.  I agree that your logic
with your assumptions COULD lead to somewhat-more-stable monopolies, but
my argument was empirical: there have been no historic examples of such
monopolies.  Either come up with some, or please, please, stop talking
about the dangers of monopoly.

wallace@ucbvax.ARPA (David E. Wallace) (02/21/85)

In article <1977@inmet.UUCP> nrh@inmet.UUCP writes:
[Embedded quotation omitted]
   .
   .
   .

>I've reprinted your entire article (minus signature) to demonstrate a
>point: you have yet to give an example of a stable monopoly not
>regulated or otherwise helped by government.  I agree that your logic
>with your assumptions COULD lead to somewhat-more-stable monopolies, but
>my argument was empirical: there have been no historic examples of such
>monopolies.  Either come up with some, or please, please, stop talking
>about the dangers of monopoly.

Hmmm.  I'm not the original poster here, but I don't like the flavor of this
argument.  Try applying such logic to a discussion on the consequences of
WWIII:

	I agree that your logic with your assumptions COULD lead to a
	somewhat-more-destructive superpower thermonuclear exchange,
	but my argument was empirical: there have been no historic examples
	of such exchanges.  Either come up with some, or please, please,
	stop talking about the dangers of such exchanges.

Riiiight.

Moral: Just because it's never happened doesn't mean it never will, especially
if basic conditions change (the original discussion was about the potential
evolution of monopoly power under a perfectly free economy, which has never
existed yet either, right?).

Dave Wallace
(...!ucbvax!wallace, wallace@Berkeley)

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (02/25/85)

>I've reprinted your entire article (minus signature) to demonstrate a
>point: you have yet to give an example of a stable monopoly not
>regulated or otherwise helped by government.  I agree that your logic
>with your assumptions COULD lead to somewhat-more-stable monopolies, but
>my argument was empirical: there have been no historic examples of such
>monopolies.  Either come up with some, or please, please, stop talking
>about the dangers of monopoly.

(1) I didn't talk about the "dangers" of monopoly, but about their
theoretical stability, which is the issue DKMcK was pushing.  I believe
you agree with me that his logic was insufficient to demonstrate the
inherent instability of a monopoly in Libertaria.

(2) Inasmuch as no society has existed without some level of Gevernment
regulation (to the degree that the communication technology of the time
permitted), there could *in principle* be no examples of a monopoly
sustained in its absence.  Your rhetorical demand is rather like
McK's promise to give back any land he owned to any Indian who could
*prove* an individual title to that land.  Apart from the documentary
problem, the Indian position on land ownership would not permit such
a situation to arise.

--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt