[net.politics] ROTC firebombing

medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) (02/20/85)

Well, monday morning someone torched the UC Berkeley ROTC
building, it was leveled.  Estimates show about $2 Million
damage.  Plans for a new building are being drawn up.  Just
thought I'd drop a note to the taxpayers who will end up
paying for it....

					Milo

baba@spar.UUCP (Baba ROM DOS) (02/21/85)

> Well, monday morning someone torched the UC Berkeley ROTC
> building, it was leveled.  Estimates show about $2 Million
> damage.  Plans for a new building are being drawn up.  Just
> thought I'd drop a note to the taxpayers who will end up
> paying for it....
>

> 					Milo

It should be noted, however, that the arson is as likely to have been
the work of a (presumably deranged) random arsonist who's been torching
buildings in Berkeley for months as it is to have been a political
act.  Just thought I'd drop a note to the voters who mandated the scaling
back of state services such as mental hospitals...  ;-)

					Baba

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (02/21/85)

In article <4951@ucbvax.ARPA> medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) writes:

>Well, monday morning someone torched the UC Berkeley ROTC
>building, it was leveled.

There's been a rash of arson in Berkeley lately--mostly directed at
apartment buildings.  I haven't heard anyone suggest that the latest
was any sort of protest against ROTC.  Most of the fires have been near
the UC campus, though, so there may be some anti-UC feeling behind
them.  The police arrested, then released a suspect, so perhaps we'll
know all the answers soon.
--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) (02/25/85)

BTW, the police had let go the suspect they were holding, vharging him
with being on the campus illegally.  They don't believe he is the
one who did it.  In private talks with some of the ROTC commanders,
I understand the police are very suspicious of a group called the SPartacus
Youth League.  A week or so earlier there was a big fight in the free speech
area between the SYL and Marine Corps recruiters which got out of
hand and the police were called in.  This might have been the
cause of the incident.  Plans for a new building are being drawn up,
and a combonation ROTC and Facilities building may be built, with
police stationed in the building.  The ham radio club on campus
(Of which I am the VP) may even get space allocated to it in the
plans.  There is also some talk about consolidation of the new
CS building with the ROTC building.  I dont know how serious this
proposal is.    Anyways, thats as much as I know right now.

One note about the Phased Array Radar, according to my old crow friends,
the fourth PAVE PAWS radar will be built at Goodfellow AFB in Texas,
NOT in San Diego as previously mentioned.  The Soviet deployment
of its ABM-1 radar where it is is a CLEAR violation of the ABM
treaty, as well as the proven multiple reload and refire capability
of their SH-04 and SH-05 ABM interceptors.

					Milo

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (02/26/85)

> BTW, the police had let go the suspect they were holding, vharging him
> with being on the campus illegally.  They don't believe he is the
> one who did it.  In private talks with some of the ROTC commanders,
> I understand the police are very suspicious of a group called the SPartacus
> Youth League.

Why don't we let the police handle it, and stop distributing innuendo and
rumours to the world?