[net.politics] another twist on the gun issue

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (02/08/85)

	     REPRINTED FROM AN EARLIER BROADCAST:

The real flap over gun control is that EVERY TIME WEAPONS HAVE BEEN
REGISTERED, GOVERMENT HAS EVENTUALLY CONFISCATED THE WEAPONS.  Democracy is
a delicate thing - and the political party you agree with may not be the
party in power when the confiscation begins.  I'd be a very unhappy German
if I were a registered gun owner when Hitler came into power.  "Good" done
for "bad" motives has a way of spoiling on the shelf.

Democracy is a delicate thing, and it considers all options (including
communism, facism, religious rule, etc, IF they have enough votes).  And
there is a point at which voting rights can be surmounted, if the people IN
power are the people WITH the power.  This was one of the CONSIDERED REASONS
(derived from the contemporary writings of the people who drafted the
constitution) for the inclusion of the now-famous "right to bear arms".  I
wish I had the quote at my fingertips - but I think it was Adams - and the
gist of it was that an armed populus was  a good and sufficient deterrent
to any petty tyrants with big ideas.  NOT that we'd blow away the petty
tyrant, but that the petty tyrant would have to have some kind of majority
of his own behind him before he tried something, in which case he would be
in power because of DEMOCRATIC CONSENT, not brute force.

Constitutionality is an arguable issue as well - what was good and true 200
years ago may not bear on today.  However, not much point in wrongly
reinterpreting what was said 200 years ago as a poor argument for the issue
today.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I don't think the constitution is
broke on this issue.  (PERSONAL OPINION, in case we forget)

Everybody is interested in reducing crime, particularly armed and violent
crime (surely I'm not going to be flamed for the use of "everybody" here).
The actuality is that crooks are armed.  Because of the constitutional
issue, I do not believe in registering guns.  If you want some social seal
of approval for people who do have weapons (to keep them out of the "wrong
hands") why not license the people, whether or not they own/carry a gun?
Every upstanding citizen over 16 is licensed to carry, like driving a car.
Whether they choose to do so or not is their own business.  When you catch
a crook with a weapon you jail him and (for first time offenders) revoke
his license.  Second time around, it's no agrument.  He's using a weapon ->
no license -> jail.  And when confiscation time comes around, our petty
tyrant doesn't know who owns what, but he knows that there are plenty of
"right minded" americans out there who could be.  I don't actually favor
this approach either, but it makes more sense than registering "guns" in
order to control "criminals" (read "apples" and "oranges").

Anyhow, that's one reason why people get excited about it.  People get
pretty excited about freedom of speech, too, and it has as many points of
contradiction as this one.  So who said democracy was easy?

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (02/08/85)

>From: regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard)
>Subject: another twist on the gun issue

Adrienne, you disappoint me.  Not only are your facts  incorrect,  but  you
had to shout your misinformation in caps. {sigh}

I don't suppose you read the  article  I  posted  to  net.politics  earlier
containing  the  known  facts about the Constitution and the 2nd amendment?
Probably everyone else has, so I won't repost for now.  Come by  my  office
and I'll show you the original.

One other thing.  Before I'm flamed by all and sundry, let me say it again:

        I AM NOT TAKING A POSITION ON GUN CONTROL IN THIS POSTING.

Ahem ...

>The real flap over gun control is that EVERY TIME WEAPONS HAVE BEEN
>REGISTERED, GOVERMENT HAS EVENTUALLY CONFISCATED THE WEAPONS.  ...

Not true.  As has been frequently mentioned  in  this  argument,  guns  are
registered  in  Great  Britain,  for example, and nobody's confiscated them
yet.  (I know you've heard that before.  Slip your mind, did it?)

>                                         ...  If you want some social seal
>of approval for people who do have weapons (to keep them out of the "wrong
>hands") why not license the people, whether or not they own/carry a gun?
>Every upstanding citizen over 16 is licensed to carry, like driving a car.
>Whether they choose to do so or not is their own business.  When you catch
>a crook with a weapon you jail him and (for first time offenders) revoke

We don't do this with cars.  In most  states  getting  a  driver's  license
requires  passing  a  written and practical test.  In California, you can't
drive under the age of 18 unless you've passed a driver education course in
school.  The  same  is  true  in  many  other  states  and  driver's ed. is
frequently made a requirement for highschool  graduation.  Note  that  cars
are generally classified as deadly weapons under the law.

Just you try suggesting to an anti-gun-control type that they  should  have
to  take  a test to get a license to own a gun (hint: wear your kevlar vest
when you do).  Besides, cars are registered in all states.  If we're  going
to treat guns like cars ... what was that about apples and oranges?

So far the gun-control debate has generated much heat and little light that
I've  noticed.  I  expect  it will continue to do so as long as people want
simplistic, black-or-white  answers  to  complex  problems.  Again,  please
note:

        I HAVE NOT TAKEN A POSITION ON GUN CONTROL IN THIS POSTING.

The Polymath (Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                               If thy CRT offend thee, pluck
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                      it out and cast it from thee.
Santa Monica, California  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (02/12/85)

> 	     REPRINTED FROM AN EARLIER BROADCAST:
>
> The real flap over gun control is that EVERY TIME WEAPONS HAVE BEEN
> REGISTERED, GOVERMENT HAS EVENTUALLY CONFISCATED THE WEAPONS.  Democracy is
> a delicate thing - and the political party you agree with may not be the
> party in power when the confiscation begins.  I'd be a very unhappy German
> if I were a registered gun owner when Hitler came into power.  "Good" done
> for "bad" motives has a way of spoiling on the shelf.

The basic premise of this article is simply wrong.  England, Japan, and
almost all developed countries in the "civilized" world have some form of
gun control.  Yet these countries also have a thriving democracy.
The idea that one could seriously challenge a government with tanks
and nuclear bombs by opposing that government with popguns is simply ludicrous.
Governments can be changed despite these impediments when the people
in the government itself no longer support it.
          tim sevener   whuxl!orb

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (02/13/85)

In article <474@whuxl.UUCP> orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:
>The idea that one could seriously challenge a government with tanks
>and nuclear bombs by opposing that government with popguns is simply ludicrous.
>Governments can be changed despite these impediments when the people
>in the government itself no longer support it.
>          tim sevener   whuxl!orb

Nuclear bombs aren't very useful to quell a disturbance in your backyard.
But I can see Ronnie saying to his Generals, "Well, we don't really need
Cleavland..."
--
Richard A. Brower		Fortune Systems
{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!brower

rjc@snow.UUCP (R.caley) (02/19/85)

> 	     REPRINTED FROM AN EARLIER BROADCAST:
>
> The real flap over gun control is that EVERY TIME WEAPONS HAVE BEEN
> REGISTERED, GOVERMENT HAS EVENTUALLY CONFISCATED THE WEAPONS.  Democracy is
> a delicate thing - and the political party you agree with may not be the
> party in power when the confiscation begins.  I'd be a very unhappy German
> if I were a registered gun owner when Hitler came into power.  "Good" done
> for "bad" motives has a way of spoiling on the shelf.

Guns are regulated over here and I know several people who own some.One guy
even owns a couple of cannons!Nobody is trying to take his guns away :-)

                        RJC

    "In the beginning was a flame ...... "
                        Paul Kantner.

                .......... mcvax!ukc!flame!ubu!snow!rjc

[ Any opinions in the above crawled in while I wasn't looking ]

west@utcsri.UUCP (Thomas L. West) (02/28/85)

> 	     REPRINTED FROM AN EARLIER BROADCAST:
>
> The real flap over gun control is that EVERY TIME WEAPONS HAVE BEEN
> REGISTERED, GOVERMENT HAS EVENTUALLY CONFISCATED THE WEAPONS.

  And it would be about time!  American gun control (or more specifically, lack
thereof) account for a *large* proportion of the weapons used by Canadian
criminals since guns are rather harder to get here (and most importantly,
handguns are next to impossible to get (except by buying and smuggling from
the States.))

  The American gun control laws not only kill a good number of Americans,
they also do in a number of Canadians.  And we're intelligent enough to
have gun control laws.  This ain't justice.

        Tom West
 { allegra cornell decvax ihnp4 linus utzoo }!utcsrgv!west