[net.politics] Libertarian elected to Alaska state legislature

fagin@ucbvax.ARPA (Barry Steven Fagin) (03/06/85)

Andre Marrou, a real estate broker from Juneau, I believe, became
the 3rd Libertarian to be elected to the Alaska state legislature
last fall, defeating a Republican incumbent and a Democratic challenger.
Insurance salesman Dick Randolph was the first, in 1980, and was
later reelected along with Ken Fanning, a fur trapper.  (Randolph
and Fanning finished 1-2 among six candidates). Randolph resigned
from the legislature to run for governor, receiving 10% of the
vote, and Fanning lost his reelection bid.

Both Republicans and Democrats have asked Marrou to join their
coalition, but Marrou feels that a maverick role will be more productive.
Currently, Marrou is working on a bill to privatize the state-run
railroad system.

--Barry

--
Barry Fagin @ University of California, Berkeley

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (03/07/85)

                tim sevener  whuxl!orb

tdh@frog.UUCP (T. Dave Hudson) (03/09/85)

>From: fagin@ucbvax.ARPA (Barry Steven Fagin)
>Andre Marrou, a real estate broker from Juneau, I believe, became
>the 3rd Libertarian to be elected to the Alaska state legislature ...
>Fanning lost his reelection bid.

I remember hearing that Fanning was redistricted out of his seat.  Guess
who does the redistricting!

					David Hudson