[net.politics] Ethnic Epithets

chu@lasspvax.UUCP (Clare Chu) (03/05/85)

In article <> ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) writes:

>No, no, no.  What we really need to do is increase affirmative
>action so that there will be encouragement of Asians in the
>liberal arts field.  That way we Japs and Chinks will dominate
>the world one day, like Go  intended. :-)
>
>		Love, Ellen

  Comeon Ellen!!! "Japs and Chinks" is so-o archaic...

                                     Clare

chu@lasspvax.UUCP (Clare Chu) (03/07/85)

In article <> chu@lasspvax.UUCP (Clare Chu) writes:
>In article <> ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) writes:
>>
>>No, no, no.  What we really need to do is increase affirmative
>>action so that there will be encouragement of Asians in the
>>liberal arts field.  That way we Japs and Chinks will dominate
>>the world one day, like Go  intended. :-)
>>
>>		Love, Ellen
>

>  Comeon Ellen!!! "Japs and Chinks" is so-o archaic...
>
>                                     Clare

  Sorry if I offended anyone.  What I meant was that these
  epithets should be retired from general usage along with
  all other derogatory names that have been ascribed to
  various peoples in our "melting pot" nation.  A person is
  a person is a person and referring to certain people by
  certain derogatory epithets implies un underlying attitude
  of tolerance for racism.  One day I hope "japs and chinks"
  will truly be archaic.

bandy@mit-eddie.UUCP (++Andrew Scott Beals) (03/10/85)

Besides, most all of us these days parse "jap" as J.A.P.

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg Kuperberg) (03/10/85)

> Besides, most all of us these days parse "jap" as J.A.P.

Who originated the term J.A.P.?  I suspect it was a company that makes joke
books...
---
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

"2*x^5-10*x+5=0 is not solvable by radicals." -Evariste Galois.