[net.politics] Drugs are sold in a free market?

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (01/01/70)

> >I don't want this to sound insulting Jeff, but if you don't believe that
> >drug dealing isn't a "free market", you don't seem to know much about it.
> > (text saying that what we have basically is a free market in drugs...)
>
> This was an incredible posting.  How can anyone possibly maintain that
> the free market operates in the buying and selling of narcotics?
>
> Surely even posters out there who think drugs should be illegal will
> agree that the free market doesn't apply here.  Someone should explain
> to the author the difference between a free market and a black one.
>
> --Barry

	Huh?  I can tell Barry has a lot of experience!!:-)  Here in
California there is a free market in drugs.  If you do not like
one dealer, i.e. prices too high, low quality, whatever, you
go to another.   It is the only free market I know of.  The
drug dealers I know are honest hard working business people.  Since
pot is California's (and Hawaii's and Arizona's .. ) biggest
cash crop (by a long shot) there is a plethora of competing
dealers and manufacturers.   I have read estimates that there
are more that 1000 cultivators in Santa Cruz county alone.

	What is the difference between a free market and a black one?
My understanding is that in Russia, the only free market is the black
market.  It is true in the U.S. the only free market in drugs is
the black market the other one is highly controled.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382    ihnp4!pesnta   -\

fagin@ucbvax.ARPA (Barry Steven Fagin) (03/11/85)

In article <712@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:

>>      Notice that he said "In a free market".  The sale and distribution of
>> drugs can hardly be thought of as "free market" conditions.  Notice that
>> if there *were* a free market for drugs, the price would fall so far that
>> dope dealers wouldn't be making big bucks.  Even drugs like nicotene and
>> alcohol are heavily taxed and controlled by the big G.
>> --
>> Jeff Sonntag
>
>I don't want this to sound insulting Jeff, but if you don't believe that
>drug dealing isn't a "free market", you don't seem to know much about it.
> (text saying that what we have basically is a free market in drugs...)

This was an incredible posting.  How can anyone possibly maintain that
the free market operates in the buying and selling of narcotics?  Perhaps
the laws of supply and demand hold here; where there's a demand
there'll be a supply.  But where's the competition?  Completely absent,
since drug production and distribution is controlled by monopolistic
organizations who use violence to keep out competitors and to gain
new markets.  What matters it that the risk involved may be low?  As
long as legitimate businesses are forbidden by law to sell narcotics,
we'll never have a free market.

Barry Fagin @ University of California, Berkeley