[net.politics] Important Vote

berman@ihopb.UUCP (Rational Chutzpah) (03/15/85)

A vote on releasing funds for military aid to the "contras" will be coming
up shortly in Congress. The contras are the ex-Somocista national guardsmen
who attack Nicaragua from bases in Honduras. While the Reagan Administration
calls them "freedom fighters," their acts of murder, torture, rape and other
brutalities against civilians in Nicaragua are well documented by neutral
human rights agencies, such as America's Watch and others.

The contras, despite massive funding by CIA covert aid and private right-wing
groups in the US, have been unable to win any support among the Nicaraguan
population, nor have they been able to control any territory.

The signs are that Congress will reject further funding, but the Reagan
administration is making a determined effort to continue it.

If you don't feel the United States should be at war with Nicaragua, urge
you congressperson to vote against aid to the contras.

Write:    Honorable Your Representative
          House Office building
          Washington , DC

or        Senator Your Senator
          US Senate
          Washington, Dc

   The vote will be coming up in just a few weeks

Andy Berman   ..ihnp4!ihlpg!berman

--

matthews@harvard.ARPA (Jim Matthews) (03/16/85)

> A vote on releasing funds for military aid to the "contras" will be coming
> up shortly in Congress. The contras are the ex-Somocista national guardsmen
> who attack Nicaragua from bases in Honduras.

	Wishful thinking, I'm afraid.  The issues in Nicaragua would be more
clear-cut if this was the case, but in fact only a small minority of the
contras have ties to the old national guard.  Men like Eden Pastora fought
the Samoza regime for decades, only to see his revolution co-opted by
Marxists.  And that's why they are fighting in the jungles.

> The contras, despite massive funding by CIA covert aid and private right-wing
> groups in the US,....

	Again, this is a simplification.  The aid to the contras (some $40
million last year, the Administration is now asking for $14 mill.) has
been rather insignificant.  Immeadiately after the Sandinista victory in
1979, Jimmy Carter sent the new regime $75 million in economic aid.  In fact,
Carter gave the Sandinistas more money in one day than we had given to
Samoza in years, or that we have given the contras since.  But I didn't
hear you complaining of "massive" U.S. funding of a regime that has also
been implicated in rather brutal violations of human rights.

Jim Matthews
matthews@harvard

mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) (03/17/85)

> 	Wishful thinking, I'm afraid.  The issues in Nicaragua would be more
> clear-cut if this was the case, but in fact only a small minority of the
> contras have ties to the old national guard.  Men like Eden Pastora fought
> the Samoza regime for decades, only to see his revolution co-opted by
> Marxists.  And that's why they are fighting in the jungles.

	Actually Pastora was purged by the National Guard factions, he is
	no longer involved. His attempt to establish a legitimate alternative
	democratic movement was a failure.
--
						Mark Roddy
						Net working,

					(harvard!talcott!panda!enmasse!mroddy)

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Jeff Myers) (03/18/85)

> But I didn't
> hear you complaining of "massive" U.S. funding of a regime that has also
> been implicated in rather brutal violations of human rights.
>
> Jim Matthews
> matthews@harvard

America's Watch has just issued a report on the human rights violations of
the Nicaraguan govt and the contras.  Paraphrased, the report states that
violations on the part of the govt have decreased substantially, while the
contras continue to be `brutal'.  They are particularly fond of killing
or kidnapping medical personnel.  The Dean of the Medical College (UNAN)
in Managua was recently abducted, and his whereabouts are still unknown.

The worst violation of the Nicaraguan govt that I've seen documented was
their forced relocation of Miskitos south from the border.  The govt has
admitted its grave errors in doing this the way they did.  The National
Assembly is currently working on legislation granting autonomy (in what
form we know not) to the various non-Hispanic populations: Miskitos, Sumus,
English speaking blacks.

If the contras have so much support indigenous to Nicaragua, why are the
people given arms?  Aid to the contras is aid to the economic and
cultural devastation of Nicaragua.  We've seen the ``success'' of US
Latin American policy in Chile, where economic sabotage was accomplished
more indirectly between 1970 and 1973.

--
Jeff Myers				The views above may or may not
University of Wisconsin-Madison		reflect the views of any other

mjk@tty3b.UUCP (Mike Kelly) (03/18/85)

 >From: matthews@harvard.ARPA (Jim Matthews)
 >... in fact only a small minority of the
 >contras have ties to the old national guard.  Men like Eden Pastora fought
 >the Samoza regime for decades, only to see his revolution co-opted by
 >Marxists.  And that's why they are fighting in the jungles.

The 'small minority' also tend to hold leadership positions, though.  Besides,
more important than where they come from is what they do.  Independent
human rights groups have documented hundreds of cases of rape, murder of
civilians and attacks on non-military targets.   In the argot of the Reagan
Administration, that's called "state-sponsored terrorism".  Except this time
the state sponsoring it is us.

These people are seeking to overthrow an elected government.  You may not
like that government.  That is irrelevant; you are not Nicaraguan.  There
may be people in Nicaragua who don't like that government.  They can oppose
it through the electoral system, which they reject.  If they seek to overthrow
that government, then they are criminals and should be dealt with as such.
If the U.S. conspires with them to overthrow that government, then we are in
violation of the UN Charter and various other international laws.

Mike Kelly

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (03/18/85)

> > A vote on releasing funds for military aid to the "contras" will be coming
> > up shortly in Congress. The contras are the ex-Somocista national guardsmen
> > who attack Nicaragua from bases in Honduras.
>
> 	Wishful thinking, I'm afraid.  The issues in Nicaragua would be more
> clear-cut if this was the case, but in fact only a small minority of the
> contras have ties to the old national guard.

Just the leaders.  And the contras won't accept Eden Pastora because he
wants to kick out the national guardsmen from the leadership.  (Only a
small minority of Sandinistas are Marxist-Leninists, too.  :-))

> > The contras, despite massive funding by CIA covert aid and private right-wing
> > groups in the US,....
>
> 	Again, this is a simplification.  The aid to the contras (some $40
> million last year, the Administration is now asking for $14 mill.) has
> been rather insignificant.  Immediately after the Sandinista victory in
> 1979, Jimmy Carter sent the new regime $75 million in economic aid.  In fact,
> Carter gave the Sandinistas more money in one day than we had given to
> Samoza in years, or that we have given the contras since.

That "aid" (I don't know how much) was in the form of a loan.  It was not
given away free.  It was also given under exceptional circumstances -- Somoza
had taken all of the money given him by the IMF and put it in Swiss banks.
I also recall that it was not sent in one lump -- that one installment went
out and the rest were withdrawn (but my memory is fuzzy on this).  Should the
US have said hooray to embezzlement instead?

Are we going to ask the contras to pay our aid back with interest once
they win their "revolution"?  What a waste of good money.

> Jim Matthews
> matthews@harvard

Tony Wuersch

matthews@harvard.ARPA (Jim Matthews) (03/20/85)

> These people are seeking to overthrow an elected government.  You may not
> like that government.  That is irrelevant; you are not Nicaraguan.  There
> may be people in Nicaragua who don't like that government.  They can oppose
> it through the electoral system, which they reject.  If they seek to overthrow
> that government, then they are criminals and should be dealt with as such.
> If the U.S. conspires with them to overthrow that government, then we are in
> violation of the UN Charter and various other international laws.
>
> Mike Kelly

	Sounds like what the Athenians said about Sparta.

	I'll bet you sleep easy at night, knowing that you wouldn't condone
the violation of such important things as the UN Charter and "various other
international laws."  It's wonderful to live in a country that takes the law
so seriously, so far as to be under the delusion that it even governs the
actions of nations.  You, surely, would have have invoked the Kellogg-Briand
Pact to prevent our war on Germany in 1941 -- after all, they
elected their government, and if the jews don't like it they can "oppose
it through the electoral system."  Which is not to say that Nicaragua is
Nazi Germany, because that doesn't matter -- what does is your belief that
nations are ruled by pieces of paper. We enjoy a blessedly liberal
political system, but trying to apply it to international affairs is an
invitation to lose it.

Jim Matthews
matthews@harvard