[net.politics] Milo's Vision

mjk@tty3b.UUCP (Mike Kelly) (03/25/85)

 >From: medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin)
 >3)  Attempt to maintain parity and achieve superiority if possible,
 >and oppose Soviet actions throughout the world.  This method
 >is expensive, and requires much patience.  If we maintain
 >such pressure, not only military but economic, we can force the
 >Soviet state to divert more and more money to the military,
 >causing more and more internal strife.  The Soviet leadership
 >will see that they cannot maintain control and superiority at
 >the same time, and thus conceed inferiority to us.  Or if they
 >do not, the people will revolt causing the downfall of the
 >state and we will be rid of the USSR as we know it.  The last
 >2 possibilities may take a long time, but we will have peace in
 >the meantime.  The  key point to remember is that the Soviets
 >are extremely conservative, and if they look at the books and see
 >a given action has a low chance of success, they will not move.
 >Thus, by attaining superiority we also attain peace, not cheaply,

Milo, do you believe the U.S. would allow the Soviets to attain superiority?
If not, why do you think the U.S.S.R. would allow us to?  Let me put this
another way (and this is crucial, because Milo's vision is Reagan's as
well):

	You are the Soviet leadership.  You are watching a country you
	fear enormously, because of their evident leadership in technology
	and armaments -- they have, after all initiated every significant
	advance in the arms race since World War II.  That country elects
	a leader pledged not to parity, but superiority.  It undertakes a
	rough doubling of its military budget over four years, announces
	a major technological initiative to make your weapons useless and
	shuns arms control.  You watch this country pick up steam and pull
	ahead.  You increase your own spending and research, but soon realize
	that not only is the U.S. ahead, but it is accelerating.  The time
	is soon approaching when you will never be able to catch up.  You
	will be caught in permanent inferiority.  However, there is a window.
	Perhaps one or two years, when you can still carry some weight.  What
	do you do?  Do you resign yourself to inferiority and negotiate the
	best terms you can?  Or do you attack?

Well, we just don't know what they would do.  But I think we had damn well
better realize the incredible risk to which
the Reagan policy of superiority is subjecting not only
Americans, but the entire world.  This policy could very well lead to a
nuclear war out of desperation.  Now there's no way of knowing whether that
will happen.   Perhaps the U.S. government will be nice and not dictate too
unacceptable terms, and the Soviets will resign themselves.  But perhaps
they won't.

To place the survival of the world on the hope that you will be able to
externally forment a rebellion in the Soviet Union seems to me to be the
ultimate longshot.  You may just win, Milo.  But what if you lose?   What
if you lose?

Mike Kelly