[net.politics] Manditory Seatbelt Laws

robert@nmtvax.UUCP (04/01/85)

I appologize if this has been discussed before but I am in need of
information.

	I have a few questions for the people of North America.

What do you think of manditory seatbelt laws?

Those of you that live in areas that they are in effect:
 	Do you like them?
	Do you obey them?

Those of you in Canada:
	Have there been discussions of possible enactment of these laws
		in Canada?

	I would put my own intrest here but I want to avoid people not
responding.  I would appreciate any response at all.  If you are
afraid of clutering up the net with responses, send them directly to
me.

                                        Thanks all,

                                        Robert Kenyon
                                        ...ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!robert
                                        <or any other path you want>

My '61 Bug didn't even have seatbelts.  How could I comply?

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (04/03/85)

They are just one more step down "The Road to Serfdom."  More directly,
they disgust me.  They are a lot less of an inconvenience than many
regulations, but what is most disturbing is that it seems to me
symbolic of the gov't. 'strapping you in.'
I was really outraged by the law when it was passed, and I've decided
not to wear one.  If a policeman stops me for it, I would take the
opportunity (after I stop laughing at him, of course) to ask him if he
doesn't feel ridiculous about it.  My guess is that many cops feel
a bit stupid doing this sort of thing -- not exactly the stuff boyhood
dreams are made of.

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (04/05/85)

They are just one more step down "The Road to Serfdom."  More directly,
they disgust me.  They are a lot less of an inconvenience than many
regulations, but what is most disturbing is that they seem to me
symbolic of the gov't. 'strapping you in.'
I was really outraged by the law when it was passed, and I've decided
not to wear one.  If a policeman stops me for it, I would take the
opportunity (after I stop laughing at him, of course) to ask him if he
doesn't feel ridiculous about it.  My guess is that many cops feel
a bit stupid enforcing this sort of thing -- not exactly the stuff boyhood
dreams are made of.

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (04/05/85)

Michael M. Sykora sez:

> They are just one more step down "The Road to Serfdom."  More directly,
> they disgust me.  They are a lot less of an inconvenience than many
> regulations, but what is most disturbing is that it seems to me
> symbolic of the gov't. 'strapping you in.'
> I was really outraged by the law when it was passed, and I've decided
> not to wear one.  If a policeman stops me for it, I would take the
> opportunity (after I stop laughing at him, of course) to ask him if he
> doesn't feel ridiculous about it.  My guess is that many cops feel
> a bit stupid doing this sort of thing -- not exactly the stuff boyhood
> dreams are made of.

Sounds like a good idea to me:  get yourself killed for spite.
That'll show them!

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (04/07/85)

>> I was really outraged by the law when it was passed, and I've decided
>> not to wear one [seatbelt].  If a policeman stops me for it, I would take the
>> opportunity (after I stop laughing at him, of course) to ask him if he
>> doesn't feel ridiculous about it.  My guess is that many cops feel
>> a bit stupid doing this sort of thing -- not exactly the stuff boyhood
>> dreams are made of.
>
>Sounds like a good idea to me:  get yourself killed for spite.
>That'll show them!

Most traffic police have seen enough mangled live and dead bodies
not to feel a bit ridiculous about enforcing a seatbelt law.  They
prefer people to walk away from accidents, because it saves them
the trouble of calling an ambulance and getting into lots of paperwork :-)
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (04/08/85)

In article <393@nmtvax.UUCP> robert@nmtvax.UUCP writes:

>What do you think of manditory seatbelt laws?

	Much better than being forced to buy cars with air bags.

>Those of you that live in areas that they are in effect:
>  Do you like them?

	Like I said, they're fine by me.  I don't mind wearing seat belts.

> Do you obey them?

	Yes.

>Those of you in Canada:
> Have there been discussions of possible enactment of these laws
> in Canada?

There *are* mandatory seatbelt laws in Canada.  AT least in the
provinces of Ontario, British Columbia and Quebec, accounting for 75%
of the Canadian population.  In Ontario seat-belt usage is now up to
around 60% even though seat belt fines are very infrequent.

If your car does not have seat belts (like '61 bugs) you don't have to
wear them.  :-)

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
Don't cry, don't do anything
No lies, back in the government
No tears, party time is here again
President Gas is up for president		 (c) Psychedelic Furs, 1982