[net.politics] those "soft" Americans

mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) (04/04/85)

	Many governments today tend to perceive the people and
government of the U S today as being soft, this fact cannot be ignored,
even though it is not true, that is the general perception. What so many
governments and people in other countries fail to realize is that there
is one thing that virtually all Americans take for granted. Freedom. The
movie Red Dawn, while not totally believable, did bring out one fact
that is very true in this country.  The moment some 2-bit bannana
dictator, or the Soviets, or anybody else tried an actual invasion of
this country,  all hell would break loose.  No country has a better
armed populace than the U.S.  As a friend of mine once observed, "The
Russians think they have a mess on their hands in Afghanistan, I'd like
to see what would happen to their armed forces if somthing like that
ever happend here.".  I realize that many people feel that the next war
will be fought with nuclear weapons, and leave a planet of rubble
behind, and that could well happen. What I am talking about is a more
limited scale war or any conflict that threatend the average American's
freedom.  Admiral Yamamoto, possibly Japan's most brilliant commander,
knew this very well.  Remember his words when he was told that the
attack on Pearl Harbor had taken place before war had officially been
declared.  "Now we have awakened a sleeping giant."

--

  Mike Stalnaker  UUCP:{decvax!grendel,cbosgd!seismo}!dolqci!mike
		  AT&T:202-376-2593

		  "You can have peace, or you can have freedom.
		   Never count on having both at the same time."
						-Lazarus Long.

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (04/05/85)

Just as an aside, there is an interesting book on this topic written in
the 1950's called _Not This August_.  I'd strongly recommend reading it
to anybody.
---
James C Armstrong, Jnr.  ihnp4!abnji!nyssa

Our signature no longer works.

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (04/09/85)

In article <512@abnji.UUCP> nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
>Just as an aside, there is an interesting book on this topic written in
>the 1950's called _Not This August_.  I'd strongly recommend reading it
>to anybody.
>---
>James C Armstrong, Jnr.  ihnp4!abnji!nyssa
>
>Our signature no longer works.

Just wanted to mention...This book is by Cyril M. Kornbluth, and can pro-
bably be found in the science-fiction section.

                                Muffy