[net.politics] MX Victory for USSR

sdd@pyuxh.UUCP (S Daniels) (03/31/85)

<>
Now that the Reagan administration has its victories on MX
(at least for now), the Soviet government must be smiling.
They probably wanted us to build it all along.  Here's why.

1.  The US is diverting billions of dollars to deploy a system
    that is potentially unsound militarily.  That money in the
    long run could be better spent on other projects (stealth,
    Trident II missile, etc.).
2.  The non-stop debate on MX keeps the focus of opinion on the
    US, not on the USSR.
3.  This US will try to bargain with the MX in Geneva, and the
    Soviets won't buy it.  Why should they give up one of their
    newer systems for one of ours that is neither survivable
    nor of much strategic value?

Steve Daniels (Bellcore, Piscataway, NJ, !pyuxh!sdd)
(Apologies if duplicated, original garbled)

plunkett@rlgvax.UUCP (S. Plunkett) (04/02/85)

> 1.  The US is diverting billions of dollars to deploy a system
>     that is potentially unsound militarily.  That money in the
>     long run could be better spent on other projects (stealth,
>     Trident II missile, etc.).

The best "other project" would be SDI, but that, and your suggestions
wouldn't fly in Congress.  As G. Will wrote in support of the MX:
if the money is not spent on the MX it would be frittered away on
welfare programs of one type or another.  (Deficit reduction is
just a Congressional posture, so don't even think the money wouldn't
be spent.)

> 2.  The non-stop debate on MX keeps the focus of opinion on the
>     US, not on the USSR.

The focus is *always* the U.S.  The "blame America first" crowd
know of no other focus.  If you can find a way to "focus opinion"
on the USSR, please tell, after all, shooting down an airliner,
and killing an American officer don't seem to do an effective
job.  Threatening Pakistan and undertaking the usual Bolshevik-
style genocide in Afghanistan also don't seem to "focus opinion"
except on the President of the U.S. and just when is he going to
go visiting anyway?

> 3.  This US will try to bargain with the MX in Geneva, and the
>     Soviets won't buy it.  Why should they give up one of their
>     newer systems for one of ours that is neither survivable
>     nor of much strategic value?

If it is neither survivable or strategically valuable, then explain
why the Soviets have vast arrays of an equivalent weapon already
in place.  One MX escaping the fray will deliver what 10 Minutemen
would.  In addition, once the MX has deployed it's 10 independent
warheads, there's no stopping the consequences.  An annoying missile
gives birth to 10 uncontrollable brats, making military minds reel
with the problems arising from this.  With point defense of the
silos a distinct possibility I am certain the Soviets have a far
higher respect for MX than you do.

..{ihnp4,seismo}!rlgvax!plunkett

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (04/04/85)

> The best "other project" would be SDI, but that, and your suggestions
> wouldn't fly in Congress.  As G. Will wrote in support of the MX:
> if the money is not spent on the MX it would be frittered away on
> welfare programs of one type or another.  (Deficit reduction is
> just a Congressional posture, so don't even think the money wouldn't
> be spent.)

And we all know how awful it would be if we used money to help our fellow
citizens with their problems.  After all, that's what the Salvation Army
is for.  Besides, we all know how objective George Will is.
(Do I relly have to put that graphic symbol here to get my point across?)

mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) (04/07/85)

> > The best "other project" would be SDI, but that, and your suggestions
> > wouldn't fly in Congress.  As G. Will wrote in support of the MX:
> > if the money is not spent on the MX it would be frittered away on
> > welfare programs of one type or another.  (Deficit reduction is
> > just a Congressional posture, so don't even think the money wouldn't
> > be spent.)
>
> And we all know how awful it would be if we used money to help our fellow
> citizens with their problems.  After all, that's what the Salvation Army
> is for.  Besides, we all know how objective George Will is.
> (Do I relly have to put that graphic symbol here to get my point across?)
>
> 	*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

 Why is it, that until the days of FDR, this country managed  quite nicely
without all those "great social programs", and now, in the thinking of
so many people, we are doomed to be opressors, dictartors, or worse if
we don't have them?   A case in point; the current farm crisis.  While
there is no denying that the farmers in this country are in a major, and
in some cases, life threatening bind, if the goverenment again comes to
the rescue, the farmers will be just that much worse off in the long
run. The farm industry in this country, like so many others, is
changing, and some people had better damn well take their heads out of
the sand, and look around, and either sell their land and get another
sort of job, go back to school or somthing.  They may not like doing this,
but nobody should expect a government hand-out just because conditions
are changing.  In my opinion, the family farm is rapidly becoming a
thing of the past, due primairly to automation.  Did the government give
handouts to all of the people who have been put out of work in other
areas that have lost their jobs due to automation? I think not.  The
whole point I am trying to make is that for the last 50 years, everybody
in this country seems to have expected handouts and help from the
government.  Who pays?????  We do.  It's time to quit blaming the
Defense budget for the deficit.  Place the blame for the deficit
squarely where it belongs, on the heads of all of our dear politicians
who only know how to throw money at a problem, rather than bite the
bullet, lose some popularity, and do the job that needs doing.
I am not saying that we should cut all social programs, not by any means.
We certainly should help those who cannot help themselves, the
handicapped, the elderly, etc. We should not help those who are capable
of working, and are too lazy to work, or collect unemployment/welfare
rather than work for the same or less money.

--

  Mike Stalnaker  UUCP:{decvax!grendel,cbosgd!seismo}!dolqci!mike
		  AT&T:202-376-2593

		  "You can have peace, or you can have freedom.
		   Never count on having both at the same time."
						-Lazarus Long.

sdd@pyuxh.UUCP (S Daniels) (04/11/85)

I am constantly fascinated by the way net.politics so easily
goes off on tangents.  Post one article stating an opinion
that the MX is not particularly sound, either strategically
or as a bargaining chip, and we end up discussing the New Deal,
the welfare state, SDI (which I did NOT endorse in my posting),
and the Salvation Army.

When do we start discussing Harold Stassen's 1988 bid for the
Presidency? :-)

I would have posted to net.flame, but my system wasn't recognizing it.
--
	   Steve Daniels (Bellcore, Piscataway,	NJ, !pyuxh!sdd)
	     "I'm counting the smiles on the road to Utopia."