[net.politics] deleted & added newsgroups

mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams) (04/09/85)

In article <569@mcvax.UUCP> piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) writes:
>It turned out that quite a lot of people wanted to get rid of the
>newsgroups net.jokes, net.misc and net.politics; see the discussion
>about this on eunet.[general,followup].
>On the other hand there was considerable interest in net.nlang.
>
>Therefore the first 3 newsgroups will be stopped by the end of this
>week. I'll send out a control message on eunet to create net.nlang
>to make sure that newsgroup then on those sites receiving net.all.
>If your site doesn't get net.nlang from mcvax but you're interested
>in it, ask your systems manager.

I PROTEST. I PROTEST. I PROTEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We still havn't seen a proper discussion of what the problem is.
Is it the costs or is it that people are fed up with contents of these
groups? I enjoy net.politics and post articles from time to time.
If people don't like the contents then why not unsubscribe to the group.

I'm posting this to net.politics as well so that our friends on the other
side of the Atlantic also have a chance to protest.

The only longterm solution is to start some special newsgroup for world
politics, net.politics.world ???? Even then I suspect that we would miss
many interesting debates. Eg the handgun debate is relevant to us in Europe
just so we can see the problems we should avoid.

Piet, Please don't turn off the tap before we have a chance to debate this
properly!!

Mike Williams

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (04/10/85)

	>I PROTEST. I PROTEST. I PROTEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Taken for granted.

	>Is it the costs or is it that people are fed up with contents....
It's the cost and the high traffic volume. The number of nightly hours to
get all the stuff in from seismo and out to the other sites IS limited.

	>I enjoy net.politics and post articles from time to time.
You can keep posting. But all of Europe is paying for your hobby and they
sure don't like it.

	>Please don't turn off the tap before we have a chance to debate this
	>properly!!
It has been turned off already; right after the discussion I had in Paris
with the backbone site managers, specifically on the topics mentioned above.

--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
	...{seismo,okstate,garfield,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams) (04/12/85)

In article <589@mcvax.UUCP> piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) writes:
>You can keep posting. But all of Europe is paying for your hobby and they
>sure don't like it.

If that's the attitude I suggest you turn off ALL non technical groups.

How can you justify nlang ??????

>	>Please don't turn off the tap before we have a chance to debate this
>	>properly!!
>It has been turned off already; right after the discussion I had in Paris
>with the backbone site managers, specifically on the topics mentioned above.

In other words what you did was to send out a message to the net just before
the Paris meeting, travel to Paris and discuss the matter with the backbone
site managers and turn of the tap imediately afterwards. You
gave Eunet no chance at all to discuss the matter. It's not only the backbone
sites who pay for the net. We pay our share to our local backbone. Don't you
think that it would have been fairer to give all sites a few days to state
their opinions?

(aside:

I know you do a lot of work to keep the net running. Please don't think we
are not grateful.

edisa)

International political exchange of ideas may be a hobby. But I think it is
a very important hobby. The problem is that net.politics is cluttered with
masses of rubbish. Filtering out the articles which are interesting takes
time. This situation is not unique for net.politics, other news groups are
just as bad.

I have urged before for a newsgroup for international politics. If we could
get such a group created, would you be prepared to forward it? Or would you
also consider it to be just a hobby?

Mike Williams

leif@erisun.UUCP (Leif Samuelsson) (04/13/85)

I agree with Mike Williams. We were not given a chance to discuss
the matter of net.politics before it was taken away. The groups
we discussed were net.jokes and net.misc, which I think we agreed
on cancelling.

I do not have time to read net.politics myself, but it is one of
the few non-technical groups I am willing to have available on
our machine.

Leif Samuelsson

Ericsson Information Systems AB			..mcvax!enea!erix!erisun!leif
Advanced Workstations Division
S-172 93  SUNDBYBERG				59 19 N / 17 57 E
SWEDEN

----------------------
!		     !
!	  |	     !
!		     !
! This is not a pipe !
----------------------

piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) (04/15/85)

	>I agree with Mike Williams. We were not given a chance to discuss
	>the matter of net.politics before it was taken away. The groups
	>we discussed were net.jokes and net.misc
You were given a chance to discuss *any* newsgroup; net.jokes and net.misc
were only given as examples of low content/high volume newsgroups. In the
news/mail discussion that followed net.politics was time and again mentioned
as such a group, which should be stopped as soon as possible.
Instead of stopping those groups on Mar 15 as announced, I've waited for
the meeting in Paris with the backbone managers to discuss it there in the
context of the costs, accounting and functioning of Eunet. And since it
was agreed that the mentioned groups were amongst the most expensive and
least justified to get here, I stopped them right after that meeting.

BTW, it's interesting to note that the only (loud) protests came from
*one* (!) site only, whilst there are some 100 on Eunet.....

--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam
	...{seismo,okstate,garfield,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!piet

jack@boring.UUCP (04/15/85)

Hey, come on! I agree that net.politics should be the last
group to drop *in principle*, but it has become totally unreadable.
I don't believe that more than two or three people have time to wade
through 50 articles of 200 lines each every morning.

How about reviving eunet.politics? I think that we should have reached
the "critical mass" for keeping discussions going by now...
--
	Jack Jansen, {decvax|philabs|seismo}!mcvax!jack
	The shell is my oyster.

sylvain@lvbull.UUCP (Sylvain Langlois RCG-ARS) (04/17/85)

We spent a few hours, late at night in an hotel room, discussing news cost
problem during last EUUG meeting in Paris. We didn't come to a real *final*
solution, but we all agreed on suppressing net.politics and net.jokes.
I think that is the first step.
Once again, I say yes!
(but what about having a new news group called net.legs, and I propose an
another one net.legs.jim ? Oh, I know, we surely need strong bitmap devices for
this.... forget it!)

--
Sylvain "Panic Trap" Langlois		(...!mcvax!vmucnam!lvbull!sylvain)

jim@mcvax.UUCP (Jim McKie) (04/17/85)

In article <369@lvbull.UUCP> sylvain@lvbull.UUCP (Sylvain Langlois RCG-ARS) writes:
    (but what about having a new news group called net.legs, and I propose an
    another one net.legs.jim ? Oh, I know, we surely need strong bitmap devices for
    this.... forget it!)

I object to my legs being talked about in this vein...

--jim

esa@kvvax4.UUCP (Esa K Viitala) (04/17/85)

In article <mcvax.604> piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) writes:
  >	>I agree with Mike Williams. We were not given a chance to discuss
  >	>the matter of net.politics before it was taken away. The groups
  >	>we discussed were net.jokes and net.misc
  >You were given a chance to discuss *any* newsgroup; net.jokes and net.misc
  >were only given as examples of low content/high volume newsgroups. In the
  >news/mail discussion that followed net.politics was time and again mentioned
  >as such a group, which should be stopped as soon as possible.
  >BTW, it's interesting to note that the only (loud) protests came from
  >*one* (!) site only, whilst there are some 100 on Eunet.....

Well, we *did* notice that one for about a year ago while the debate
was on in Europe.

--

---ekv,  {seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!kvport!{kvvax4,kvvax9}!esa

mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams) (04/17/85)

In article <604@mcvax.UUCP> piet@mcvax.UUCP (Piet Beertema) writes:

>BTW, it's interesting to note that the only (loud) protests came from
>*one* (!) site only, whilst there are some 100 on Eunet.....

Conclusion:
Most of Eunet is not interested in politics. I suggest you all stop reading
the daily newspapers. What a waste of time when you might be hacking UNIX :-)!

Mike Williams