[net.politics] Milo Medin, and MAD

david@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) (04/29/85)

Reply to a reply
Newsgroups: net.politics
Subject: Re: "Disarmament" during the 70's: More warheads

> The *only* positive feature of these new weapons have been decreases
> in total megatonnage.  There is a much better way to accomplish such
> decreases in megatonnage: reduce rather than increase the total number
> of nuclear warheads on both sides.
>
>           tim sevener        whuxl!orb

That kind of staement ignores military objectives and requirements.
Decreasing the meagatonnage lowers the collateral damage, and
increasing accuracy allows more capability.  Remember, we gave
up on MAD sometime ago.

					Milo
	I'm sorry to disagree, but your kind is still as MAD
as can be:
	You believe that the 'superpowers' can indefinitely secure
an incredible 'peace' on Earth with probable horror, by threats of
horrifying retaliation against the innocent, who have no military
ambitions and no ideological pretensions, and who are very often
prisoners of injustice their homelands.
	More 'capability', as you say, for nuclear warfare is not
more capability for peace -- it is what it is, a temptation to
destroy hundreds of millions of human beings for the sake of blood-
less, corrupt, and unjust political purposes. How much of our GNP
do we give to poor nations, from charitableness, so that they may
build and own their industries, care for their sick and starving,
and educate their children, so that they may become our neighbors
and equals? What is our 'capability' for charitableness?
	Do you realize that the total world-wide military expenditure
is greater than the combined income of the poorer half of mankind?
That the U.S. and U.S.S.R. secure their so-called 'peace' by
profiting from virtually mercenary violence all over the world, each
selling about 1/3 of all weapons, even as a large fraction of mankind
is starving and sick and oppressed among the poorer nations.
	You did not "give up on MAD some time ago", except that you
now relabel cities as 'military targets', and put the matter out of
your conscience. But the fact remains, that neither side is deterred
by threats against 'military targets' -- it is deterred by the horror
of the holocaust that would come on that day.
	As for why there are more, but smaller warheads, it is partly
because it makes limited nuclear war more thinkable among the MADmen,
and partly because a nuclear 'shotgun' is more reliably but totally
destructive than a 'rifle'. The other reasons often given for this are
purely political doubletalk.
	The only effect of "decreasing megatonnage" has been "collateral
damage" to your brain. This is not a benefit to any of us, if anyone
is susceptible to your rationalizations of nuclear warfare.

					David Harwood