[net.politics] re Re Yuppies

kgdykes@watbun.UUCP (04/24/85)

> From: maa@ssc-bee.UUCP (Mark A Allyn)
> Newsgroups: net.politics,net.singles,net.motss
> Date: 22 Apr 85 15:00:15 GMT
>
> > I hear a lot of people talking about Yuppies in a general sense but rarely
> > mentioning anything particular.  It seems all we know about them is that
> > they buy Volvos, vote in their own best interests, and l...
> > The interesting thing is that Yuppies are generally spoken of disparagingly
> > (on this net and elsewhere) but I never hear any Yuppies defending themselves.
> > This leads...
> I moved to a neighborhood in Seattle, Wa. which is said to be a 'Yuppie'
> neighborhood. After living there only a few months, Iearned that the
> neighborhood contained a high percentage of gays.
>
> In another setting the Boston, Mass, I observed the same phenomenon.
>
> Maybee yuppie means gay??????

   Hummm, around the "heavy duty" biker types in this town there is a
tendency to think that Yuppies are gay (not that yuppie is a synonym, just
that yuppies ARE...)
  In other words, if you dress "stylishly", drive non-american cars
(note: bikers have a real hangup about non-american products) and go to
chamber music (ie: culture) entertainment then by definition you are "queer".

              - Ken Dykes
                Software Development Group, U. of Waterloo
                Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  N2L 3G1
                {clyde,utzoo}!watmath!watbun!kgdykes

:-) The "real" questions is:
:-}   Are gays the ONLY people who know anything about style and culture...

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (04/30/85)

In article <14087@watmath.UUCP> kgdykes@watbun.UUCP writes:
>:-) The "real" questions is:
>:-}   Are gays the ONLY people who know anything about style and culture...

Not quite, but close.  The rest of the world only lags about 10 years.
--
Richard A. Brower		Fortune Systems
{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!brower

seifert@mako.UUCP (Snoopy) (05/01/85)

In article <5222@fortune.UUCP> brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard brower) writes:
>In article <14087@watmath.UUCP> kgdykes@watbun.UUCP writes:
>>:-) The "real" questions is:
>>:-}   Are gays the ONLY people who know anything about style and culture...
>
>Not quite, but close.  The rest of the world only lags about 10 years.
>--
>Richard A. Brower		Fortune Systems
>{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!brower

True, but considering the amount of style and culture from the
last ten years, it should only take us about 5 seconds to catch up!

        _____
        |___|           the Bugbustin' Beagle
       _|___|_               Snoopy
       \_____/          tektronix!mako!seifert
        \___/

-----   "When you're all alone, it's always 4 AM."   -----

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (05/03/85)

5 seconds to catch up? Ooooooookay --- Go! (I've just started my stop
watch). 1......2......3.......4.....5 -- time's up! Seifert! Seifert?