[net.politics] President-come

mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) (04/27/85)

[]
The problem with visiting Bitberg is that it HONORS the german veterens
of world war II. As these people were feeding my relatives into the
chimneys, I take personal offense at the suggestion that the german
people should EVER be forgiven for what they did.

--
						Mark Roddy
						Net working,

					(harvard!talcott!panda!enmasse!mroddy)

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (04/28/85)

In article <enmasse.396> mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) writes:

>The problem with visiting Bitberg is that it HONORS the german veterens
>of world war II.  As these people were feeding my relatives into the
>chimneys, I take personal offense at the suggestion that the german
							  ^^^
>people should EVER be forgiven for what they did.

Ignoring, for the moment, Reagan's faux paus, let me comment
on your own reaction.

A number of my relatives died in the gas chambers of Auschwitz,
so I understand what you feel.  However, your attitude toward
the German people is most un-Jewish.

It was not THE German people, but merely SOME German people
who committed these atrocities (with the help of some people
of other nationalities, as well).  Even if the entire German
population was to blame (and I'm sure many were innocent),
you still cannot blame Germans who were not grown up (or even born)
during those years.

Let us not condemn entire nations, but remember the victims and
prosecute the guilty whenever we find them, so that such horrors
will not occur again.  This, too, goes for the Armenian genocide
of 1914 (I think) and the Cambodian genocide at the hands of
the communists in this very decade.

	Frank Silbemann

wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler) (04/29/85)

Taking Mark Roddy's logic one step further, because
Meyer Lansky was the brains behind Murder, Inc
during the 30s and 40s, and Lansky was Jewish,
we should never forgive the Jewish people for
all of the murders committed by that group.
Sounds stupid, doesn't it?  Isn't there enough
raw hate in the world without adding to the
problem with such dumb remarks?  In the history
of the world, it is just such insane hatred that
keeps rearing it's ugly head to cause people to
repeat their mistakes.  Should the hatred you
espouse against all Germans be extended to the
Poles (not too good a record during the 40s
concerning Jews)?  How about the Spanish, the
the Ukrainians, the French, the Italians all of
whom, at one time or another persecuted and
instituted pogroms against the Jews?  Should we all
instill in our cultural heritage a hatred for someone
or some country?  What I read from your article is that
there is such a thing as nationalistic blame and that it
can never be expunged.  Do you really believe that all
Germans must share the blame for what happened now and
forever more?  I certainly do not mean that you should
forgive and forget.  I do mean that you should not
forgive those who perpetrated such an evil act, yet
I do feel that venting anger and hatred at those who
have come later is wrong.  I do not think you should
forget either, as in forgetting, we are doomed to
repeat the evil.  I think a little tolerance is in
order in this situation.  If history is destined
to repeat itself, couldn't the evil possibly come from
another quarter, and the younger Germans, having
learned from history, be the Jews strongest defender?
Maintaining an unrelenting hatred for the German
people could, at some future time, work against
the Jewish community.

However one might feel about the evil of the past,
I don't think that maintaining hatred is the
answer to future problems.  Never forget nor
forgive those who a party to the evil, yet do
not blame the son for the sins of the father.
T. C. Wheeler

cff@uvaee.UUCP (Chuck Ferrara) (04/29/85)

> []
> The problem with visiting Bitberg is that it HONORS the german veterens
> of world war II. As these people were feeding my relatives into the
> chimneys, I take personal offense at the suggestion that the german
> people should EVER be forgiven for what they did.

Blaming a generation of German's who were born after the war is like
blaming today's Jews for killing Christ. Think about it Bozo!

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (04/30/85)

Mark Roddy:
> As these people were feeding my relatives into the chimneys, I take
> personal offense at the suggestion that the german people should
> EVER be forgiven for what they did.

Give me a break!  Do you -- and your children, and grandchildren,
and ... - take personal responsibility for what happened at My Lai?
--
Saumya Debray
SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!debray
	arpa: debray%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	CSNet: debray@sbcs.csnet

mjk@ttrdc.UUCP (Mike Kelly) (04/30/85)

 >From: wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler)
 >because Meyer Lansky was the brains behind Murder, Inc
 >during the 30s and 40s, and Lansky was Jewish,
 >we should never forgive the Jewish people for
 >all of the murders committed by that group.
 >Sounds stupid, doesn't it?

It sure does.  But the real stupidity is in making an analogy between
this and the deliberate policies of genocide practiced by the Nazi
government and carried out by the SS.

Mike Kelly

chris@nrcvax.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) (05/01/85)

In article <> mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) writes:
>[]
>The problem with visiting Bitberg is that it HONORS the german veterens
>of world war II. As these people were feeding my relatives into the
>chimneys, I take personal offense at the suggestion that the german
>people should EVER be forgiven for what they did.

I have tried to refrain from joining this fray, but I feel compelled to
comment on the above.  I find it utterly distasteful to find someone who
will unconditionally refuse to ever forgive a people for something.  Sure,
the mass murdering of millions is execrable and heinous, but there is still
grounds for forgiveness for the Germans.  They are human, many of them were
not even alive at the time, and large numbers of them perished as a result
of Nazi poilicies and the total destruction of many of their cities.

Eastern Germany has had to live under the cruel thumb of Russia these past
years.  I'm sure that has been no picnic.

Young Germans (post war) have had to live all their life with this stigma
attached to them.  Massive guilt.

So let's never forgive 'em.  Condemn those who are innocent to years and
decades of suffering because of the actions of their parents.  I don't condone
what was done, but neither do I condone Mark Roddy's attitude.  I will grant
you my relatives were not fed to the chimneys, but they still had to live
under harsh and often severe Nazi domination.

--
	Chris Grevstad
	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!chris

	Life is difficult for the organizationally impaired.

mike@dolqci.UUCP (Mike Stalnaker) (05/01/85)

> Mark Roddy:
> > As these people were feeding my relatives into the chimneys, I take
> > personal offense at the suggestion that the german people should
> > EVER be forgiven for what they did.
> >
> Saumya Debray:
> Give me a break!  Do you -- and your children, and grandchildren,
> and ... - take personal responsibility for what happened at My Lai?
> --

	.... Probably get scorched for this one too, but.....

	If the German peopble should never be forgiven for what they
did, Should the Jewish people ever be forgiven for the genocide they
commited in taking the land of Cannan?  I don't want to hear "It was
ordained by the Lord" either.  What ever happened to "Thou shalt not
Kill"?? Is that really supposed to read "Thou shalt not kill, unless thy
coveteth thy neighbor's land?"

--

  Mike Stalnaker  UUCP:{decvax!decuac,cbosgd,seismo}!dolqci!mike
		  AT&T:202-376-2593

		  "Never appeal to a man's better nature. He may not
		   have one. Appeal to his better interests instead"
						--Lazarus Long

desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) (05/02/85)

>  >From: wetcw@pyuxa.UUCP (T C Wheeler)
>  >because Meyer Lansky was the brains behind Murder, Inc
>  >during the 30s and 40s, and Lansky was Jewish,
>  >we should never forgive the Jewish people for
>  >all of the murders committed by that group.
>  >Sounds stupid, doesn't it?
>
> It sure does.  But the real stupidity is in making an analogy between
> this and the deliberate policies of genocide practiced by the Nazi
> government and carried out by the SS.
>

> Mike Kelly

So you're saying that because of the genocide practiced by the Nazis,
we should hate and resent the German people for ever and ever, amen?
If you are, you are sadly mistaken.

	marie desjardins

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (05/03/85)

In article <396@enmasse.UUCP> mroddy@enmasse.UUCP (Mark Roddy) writes:
>[]
>The problem with visiting Bitberg is that it HONORS the german veterens
>of world war II. As these people were feeding my relatives into the
>chimneys, I take personal offense at the suggestion that the german
>people should EVER be forgiven for what they did.
>						Mark Roddy

Racial prejudice is as evil when it is practiced by Jews against Germans
as it is when practiced by Germans against Jews.