[net.politics] familiar lines? in Mark Modig's message

oaf@mit-vax.UUCP ([Oded Anoaf Feingold]) (05/03/85)

In article <421@sftri.UUCP> mom@sftri.UUCP (Mark Modig) writes:
    >For if the hatred is not put aside and the horror
    >and shame and tragedy and guilt dealt with now, when
    >will it be dealt with?  And if we do not do it, who will?
    >[P.S.  The style of the last few lines are borrowed from
    >a speech I saw a while back;  I think it was a U.S
    >President-- Kennedy?  Anyway, if it sounds familiar, that's
    >probably why.]

The president was Reagan, the speech his 1985 inaugural, the topic
was support of his program of (tax cuts) && (economic growth) &&
(more money to the military) && (cuts in social programs on the
dual bases of tight money and too-big government).  The words (not
exactly, but close):
		"If we will not do it, who will do it?"
		"If not now, when?"
In particular, he meant to gouge the money for his programs out of
the bellies of hungry children, the salaries of teachers, the
medicare and social security checks of the old, the weak, and the
defenseless.  [Except for fetuses --- Reagan's love of children
begins with conception and ends at birth, according to Congressman
Barney Frank (D.-Mass.)]

The original quote is far older, coming from "Pirke Avot" (Works of
the Fathers) in Israel's Babylonian exile, app. 500 BC.  I don't
know whether it's part of the Mishnah:

Im ein ani li, mi li?		[If I am not for me who is for me?]
Im ani li bilvad, mah ani?	[If I am for myself alone, what am I?]
Im lo ka'et, imatai?		[If not now, when?]

Mr. Reagan kindly excluded the middle question.  I wonder what that
says about his morality.

PS:  I thought that particular bit of the speech was beautifully
	crafted.  Also craftily crafted.
--
Oded Feingold			{decvax, harvard}!mitvax!oaf
MIT AI Lab			oaf%oz@mit-mc.ARPA

(*) Schmuck means jewel in German.  What were _you_ thinking of?

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (05/05/85)

>/* oaf@mit-vax.UUCP ([Oded Anoaf Feingold]) /  1:52 pm  May  3, 1985 */

>In particular, he [REAGAN] meant to gouge the money for his programs out of
>the bellies of hungry children, the salaries of teachers, the
>medicare and social security checks of the old, the weak, and the
>defenseless.

I had no idea there was so much money in the bellies of hungry children!
Hmmm, that gives me an idea . . .

I suppose it never occurred to you that he may be returning some of the money
to those to whom it belongs, who may or may not be "old, weak or defenseless."

						Michael Sykora