[net.politics] students care about the world.

jans@mako.UUCP (Jan Steinman) (05/16/85)

(Editing in parens)

In article <27300001@siemens.UUCP> bhs@siemens.UUCP writes:
>Wake up, (Mr. Lincoln),
>
>The blacks in (the south) enjoy the highest standard of living of all
>blacks in (the world).
>
>The blacks themselves do not really want (freedom), for example the
>chief of the Zulus has published editorials in, among other papers,
>the New York Times arguing that (freedom) will do far more damage to
>(american negros) than current (slavery).
>
>It is very easy, from a point (hundreds) of miles away, to boil a highly
>complex issue down to a very basic argument {white vs. black}, thereby
>conveniently skipping a vast number of facts which would destroy most
>arguments about (slavery) in (the south).
>
>(Slavery) is NOT a way of life to be supported- but starry eyed idealists
>typically will do more harm to a suffering people than the actual cause they
>are trying to combat.

That's why, Mr. Lincoln, although I certainly agree with your motives, (why,
some of my best friends are...) this is just not the right time to issue an
Emacipation Proclamation (divestiture statement)!

Wake yourself up, Bernard.
--
:::::: Jan Steinman		Box 1000, MS 61-161	(w)503/685-2843 ::::::
:::::: tektronix!tekecs!jans	Wilsonville, OR 97070	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::