[net.politics] An Alternative to the MX

mjk@ttrdc.UUCP (Mike Kelly) (05/06/85)

>From: sth@rayssd.UUCP
>     I propose that the missiles be put in a movable platform in Lake Superior.
>1000 feet of water is an excellent radiation shield, and would be alot easier
>to manoeuver in (:-)).  The lake covers a massive area, and it should be very
>difficult to track anything underwater.

This points out precisely why we don't need the MX; we already have lots of
missiles underwater.  They're on our submarines, and they provide an
excellent deterrent to any first strike ideas the Soviets might have.  The
submarine commanders have significant autonomy if they can't contact their
home bases (e.g. after a first strike), and could hang out underwater for
weeks, lobbing missiles at the USSR every day or so.  As a lecturer of mine
once said, the Soviets
could expect to lose their fifty largest cities after executing a 100%
successful strike against all land- and air-based forces.  In other words,
if not a single missile leaves a land-based silo, and every bomber is
destroyed on the ground, the submarines still can take out the fifty largest
Soviet cities.  Now *whose* window of vulnerability were we talking about?

Mike Kelly

rastaman@ihdev.UUCP (Biding my time) (05/09/85)

> This points out precisely why we don't need the MX; we already have lots of
> missiles underwater.  They're on our submarines, and they provide an
> weeks, lobbing missiles at the USSR every day or so.  As a lecturer of mine
> once said, the Soviets
> could expect to lose their fifty largest cities after executing a 100%
> successful strike against all land- and air-based forces.

	Given that the the subs get by any "Hunter-Killer" subs that
	are after them,  Soviet surface ASW forces don't get them,  the
	penetration aids work correctly (or even the warheads through a
	defensive blast for EMP effects maybe?), plus all the other
	unknowns that won't show up until we launch under war conditions.

	ihnp4!ihdev!rastaman
	"Welcome, if you will, a zone which is ruled by tech-weens.."

mjk@ttrdc.UUCP (Mike Kelly) (05/10/85)

 subs are an effective deterrent]
 >From: rastaman@ihdev.UUCP (Biding my time)
 >	Given that the the subs get by any "Hunter-Killer" subs that
 >	are after them,  Soviet surface ASW forces don't get them,  the
 >	penetration aids work correctly (or even the warheads through a
 >	defensive blast for EMP effects maybe?), plus all the other
 >	unknowns that won't show up until we launch under war conditions.

First, all these (except hunter-killer subs) apply as well to the MX
and any missile you care to devise.  My point was that submarines are
one of the most invulnerable basing modes.  The Soviet subs are much
louder than U.S. subs, which can easily hear them coming before they even
know the U.S. sub is present.

Of course, Reagan realizes the invulnerability of the subs and has great
plans in mind for them: basing the first-strike Trident II (D-5) missile
in huge numbers on submarines.  That presents the Soviets with a highly
invulnerable first-strike threat potentially hanging a few hundred kilometers
off their coasts.  It reduces Soviet warning time from 15-20 minutes to
5-10 minutes.  Great, huh?  Sure, if you like the idea of Soviet missiles
on a hair-trigger based on command and control systems using two generations
old computer technology.  Just another way Ronald Reagan has made us all
safer.  Remember, America's back.  It may not be for long, though.

Mike Kelly

medin@ucbvax.ARPA (Milo Medin) (05/28/85)

Mike, you say that our subs can take out the top 50 Soviet cities.
So?  Thats not the aim of our strategy.  Subs are not counterforce
capable systems.  Even if the missiles were accurate enough, the
poor C^3I prevents them from being used as a counterforce system,
as ICBM's are.  I won't even talk about the small yield the
SLBM warheads have...  When will people realize that MAD is not
the way we do business anymore...  Sigh.  Even if we did, the
top 50 Soviet cities do not represnt a significant amount
of population damage... But, I've talked about that before...

						Milo

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (Latitudinarian Lobster) (05/28/85)

> Sigh.  Even if we did, the
> top 50 Soviet cities do not represnt a significant amount
> of population damage... But, I've talked about that before...
>
> 						Milo

Sigh.  Your brain does not represent a significant amount of your body mass.
Why don't you remove it? :-(

jeff m