[net.politics] Blasting libertarians

rwsh@hound.UUCP (R.STUBBLEFIELD) (05/21/85)

"Libertarianism:  The Perversion of Liberty" is an article by Peter Schwartz
appearing in the latest issue of THE INTELLECTUAL  ACTIVIST.  [Volume III,
Numbers 19 & 20, May 10, 1985, TIA, 131 Fifth Avenue, Suite 101, New York,
NY 10003 $44/20 issues]  The article is a searing and devastating indictment
of libertarianism.  I find it hard to believe that anyone in favor of liberty
could continue to be associated with libertarianism after they read the first
installment (14 pages).  This news item is not an attempt to start discussion
but a plea to lovers of liberty to do some serious thinking about lending any
support to libertarianism.  If you are interested in seeing a copy of Schwartz's
article, you might try a local Objectivism club.

Bob Stubblefield 201-949-2846  hound!rwsh

jj@alice.UUCP (05/22/85)

Mr. Stubblefield:

	Please do not confuse Libertarianism with any set of
ideas or ideals that other people insist on associating  with it.

It is true that any smaller group has a less well known identity,
and is therefore more vulnerable to those who would presume on
the name, identity, or ideals.
--
TEDDY BEARS ARE OPINIONATED! AFTER ALL, SOMEONE HAS TO BE RIGHT!
"Then one said to the other, I think we must be gone,

(ihnp4/allegra)!alice!jj

thau@h-sc1.UUCP (robert thau) (05/23/85)

> TEDDY BEARS ARE OPINIONATED! AFTER ALL, SOMEONE HAS TO BE RIGHT!
> "Then one said to the other, I think we must be gone,
> We'll leave a present for our friend before me move along..."
>
> (ihnp4/allegra)!alice!jj

jj!!!! Back so soon?
--
Robert Thau			        \
Keeper of the *FLAME*			))

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (05/24/85)

>/* rwsh@hound.UUCP (R.STUBBLEFIELD) /  3:01 pm  May 21, 1985 */

>. . .  The article is a searing and devastating indictment
>of libertarianism.  I find it hard to believe that anyone in favor of liberty
>could continue to be associated with libertarianism after they read the first
>installment (14 pages).  This news item is not an attempt to start discussion
>but a plea to lovers of liberty to do some serious thinking about lending any
>support to libertarianism.  If you are interested in seeing a copy of
>Schwartz's article, you might try a local Objectivism club.
>
>Bob Stubblefield 201-949-2846  hound!rwsh

Wow!  You really "blasted" us with that one, Bob!

Why not whet our appetites with a few choice "searing and devastating
indictments?"

rwsh@hound.UUCP (R.STUBBLEFIELD) (05/29/85)

>>/* rwsh@hound.UUCP (R.STUBBLEFIELD) /  3:01 pm  May 21, 1985 */

>>. . .  The article is a searing and devastating indictment
>>of libertarianism.  I find it hard to believe that anyone in favor of liberty
>>could continue to be associated with libertarianism after they read the first
>>installment (14 pages).  This news item is not an attempt to start discussion
>>but a plea to lovers of liberty to do some serious thinking about lending any
>>support to libertarianism.  If you are interested in seeing a copy of
>>Schwartz's article, you might try a local Objectivism club.
>>
>>Bob Stubblefield 201-949-2846  hound!rwsh
>
>Wow!  You really "blasted" us with that one, Bob!
>
>Why not whet our appetites with a few choice "searing and devastating
>indictments?"
>Michael M. Sykora
Michael,
I am sorry my note left you hungry for more, but not hungry enough to
order a copy of The Intellectual Activist.  The thesis of Peter Schwartz's
article is that libertarianism is dangerous to liberty.  He makes his
case in theory and illustrates how its becoming true in practice.  The
theoretical point is that a defense of liberty requires a defense of the
ideas of reality, reason, and self-interest but that libertarianism holds
liberty compatible with these and with their opposites.  When rational
ideas are compromised with irrational ones the result is irrational.  The
practical point is that the libertarian movement will be co-opted by
by enemies of liberty.  There are already examples in the 1984 platform.
The libertarian intellectuals who hold that the US is a bigger enemy of
liberty than is the USSR show where the movement is going.  The moral
of the story is to know the fundamentals on which liberty is based and
refuse to compromise them.
Again,  I'm not trying to start a discussion.  Send Peter Schwartz $5.00
at the address given below for the Intellectual Activist and ask for
Volume III, Numbers 19 and 20.
Bob Stubblefield   ihnp4!hound!rwsh    201-949-2846

SOURCES OF INFORMATION THAT MAY BE OF
INTEREST TO THOSE INTERESTED IN AYN RAND'S
PHILOSOPHY OF OBJECTIVISM

The first listings are of activities sanctioned by Leonard Peikoff, who
was designated by Ayn Rand as her intellectual heir (i.e., they are not
likely to misrepresent Objectivism):

General Information about Objectivism
	Objectivism
	Box 177
	Murray Hill Station
	New York NY 10157

Philosophical Journal, $20/year US and Canada
	The Objectivist Forum
	TOF Publications, Inc.
	PO Box 5311 FDR Station
	New York NY 10150

Taped lecture course rental
	Walter Huebscher
	PO Box 957
	Thornhill, Ontario
	Canada L3T 4A5

Tapes, Books, Art Reprints
	Palo Alto Book Service
	200 California Ave
	Palo Alto, CA 94306
	415-327-7781

Tapes, Books, Art Reprints
	Second Renaissance Book Service
	8608 Old Dominion Court
	Indianapolis IN 46231

Newsletter, $44/20 issues US and Canada, $64 elsewhere, past issues $2.50 each
	The Intellectual Activist
	131 Fifth Avenue, Suite 101
	New York NY 10003

Educational Organization
	The Ayn Rand Institute
	13101 Washington Blvd
	Suite 222
	Los Angeles, CA 90066
	213-306-9232

Summer Conference, 7/28-8/11 '85, U of C San Diego $525/person $950/couple
	Jefferson School
	PO Box 2934
	Laguna Hills CA 92654

The following are not officially sanctioned by Leonard Peikoff
but are, in my opinion, of interest to objectivists:

Newsletter, $38/26 issues
	On Principle
	Princeton Professional Park
	601 Ewing Street, # B-7
	Princeton, NJ 08542

College Newspaper, $13.50/10 issues
	ERGO
	MIT, W20-443
	3 Ames Street
	Cambridge, MA 02139
	617-253-2358 or 617-225-9181

Private High School
	American Renaissance School
	468 Rosedale Avenue
	White Plains, NY 10605
	914-997-1227

Journal of Esthetics
	Aristos
	PO Box 1105
	Radio City Station
	New York, NY 10101

Newsletter, $22/12 issues
	Access to Energy
	Box 2298
	Boulder, Colorado 80306
	Access to Energy

fagin@ucbvax.ARPA (Barry Steven Fagin) (05/30/85)

Bob Stubblefield writes:

>The libertarian intellectuals who hold that the US is a bigger enemy of
>liberty than is the USSR show where the movement is going.

To my knowledge, *no* libertarian intellectuals hold that the US is a
greater enemy of liberty than the USSR.

>The moral
>of the story is to know the fundamentals on which liberty is based and
>refuse to compromise them.

I couldn't agree more, and I'm an ardent libertarian.  I have *GOT*
to read this article of Bob's.

--Barry

--
Barry Fagin @ University of California, Berkeley

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (06/01/85)

>/* rwsh@hound.UUCP (R.STUBBLEFIELD) / 11:47 pm  May 28, 1985 */

> . . .  The thesis of Peter Schwartz's
>article is that libertarianism is dangerous to liberty.  He makes his
>case in theory and illustrates how its becoming true in practice.  The
>theoretical point is that a defense of liberty requires a defense of the
>ideas of reality, reason, and self-interest but that libertarianism holds
>liberty compatible with these and with their opposites.  When rational
>ideas are compromised with irrational ones the result is irrational.

I don't see libertarianism as saying anything other than  --  the
initiation of force and fraud is wrong.  That's basically it.
I don't see any irrationality there.

> The
>practical point is that the libertarian movement will be co-opted by
>by enemies of liberty.

I don't see how.  In any event, I don't see why one should stop pursuing
liberty simply because of this possibility.

>  There are already examples in the 1984 platform.

First of all, I think we'd better clear up who we're talking about.
I understood you to be referring to libertarians, who are not
necessarily Libertarians.  Furthermore, while I don't agree with
everything the party says, it is so much better than anything else
in the political arena it seems foolish to me not to support it.

>The libertarian intellectuals who hold that the US is a bigger enemy of
>liberty than is the USSR show where the movement is going.

I don't know of any libertarians who hold those views and I read
a good deal of libertarian literature.  Whom are you referring to?

>The following are not officially sanctioned by Leonard Peikoff
>but are, in my opinion, of interest to objectivists:

Are you sure it's ok to read them without His approval?

Anyway, thanks for the info.  I7ll be sure to pich up a copy when
I get the chance.

						Mike Sykora