[net.politics] Discrimination and Affirmative Acton

acton@ubc-cs.UUCP (Donald Acton) (06/03/85)

In article <1562@dciem.UUCP> mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) writes:

> The only places I have come across anti-French "hatred"
>are in newspaper reports out of rural districts of Manitoba and westward,
>where they object to bilingual cereal boxes as "pushing French down our
>throats."

I suggest that you visit Western Canada and discover that the anti-French
"hatred" is not confined to rural districts. Why even the citizens of the
cosmopolitan city of Vancouver have been known to boo the french version of
the national anthem when played at major sporting events. What is more
important is why does this feeling exist. I would suggest that this "hatred"
is not directed at anybody but the federal government and its contemptuous
attitude towards Western Canada. One visible way to protest government
legislation is to express ones dissatisfaction with perhaps the most visible
of all federal government policies, bilingualism.

The other thing to keep in mind is the history of the Canadian West and
the type of people who settled here. Western Canada is young; communities
more than a hundred years old are difficult to find. The attitudes of
independence and community spirit that allowed my forefathers and the
forefathers of many others to successfully homestead the west are still strong.
These pioneers survived drought, hoppers, and winter because of their
*own* resourcefulness and skill, not through the government's usually
misdirected aid and meddling. The effect of these experiences has been to
produce a population that is self-reliant and not too terribly thrilled
by government involvement in their day to day lives, especially when the
sole purpose of these policies is to score political points in another
region of the country. Many a time the interests of Western Canada have
been sacrificed for the sole benefit of Quebec and Ontario and bilingualism
is viewed as one of these cases. Having french on the cereal boxes either
provides you with extra reading first thing in the morning or raises
your stress level by reminding you of all the stupid programs that
governments undertake for "your own good".

> In Manitoba, there was a great fuss about giving the substantial
>French-speaking population equal legal rights with the English speakers,
>but that was hardly affirmative action in the workplace; it was simple
>bigotry of people afraid that allowing others equal rights might in
>some way jeopardize their own position.

   1) Ontario's record concerning french language minority rights is
      hardly one to brag about as is Quebec's concerning english. Which
      suggests that Ontario and Quebec are hardly bastions of
      "progressiveness" when it comes to bilingualism.

   2) There were enough "bigots" in Manitoba to make the NDP government
      of the day run scared and withdraw its legislation. So much for
      principles.

Donald Acton