[net.politics] State Tax Dedudction

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (05/30/85)

> 	How does every one feel about Regans idea of
> disallowing State Taxes as a deduction ?
>
> 	Sounds like double Taxation to Me. Perhaps
> we should all write our congressman.

     Seems like one of the best ideas I've *ever* heard come out of Ronnie
Ray-gun.  Consider:  the marginal cost to a local government of each citizen
is highest when the population density is highest. (else why are NJ, NY, NYC,
CA, etc. the places with the highest local taxes?)  Some people choose to
live in these places anyway, for whatever reason, and end up paying more to
their local governments in taxes than people who live more rural areas.  They
receive more services from their local governments as a result: better
police protection, fire departments, garbage pickup, etc.
     Up till now, the federal government has been forcing people who live in
low-local-tax areas to subsidize the taxes of the people who choose to live
in the high-local-tax areas.  Disallowing state taxes as a deduction would
stop this.  Do you really think that it was fair for you to force all of the
people in the midwest to help pay your local taxes?  I don't.
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

ped@mtuxo.UUCP (p.davidson) (05/30/85)

mjk@ttrdc.UUCP (Mike Kelly) (05/31/85)

 >From: js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag)  writing about the state tax deduction:

 >Consider:  the marginal cost to a local government of each citizen
 >is highest when the population density is highest. (else why are NJ, NY, NYC,
 >CA, etc. the places with the highest local taxes?)  Some people choose to
 >live in these places anyway, for whatever reason, and end up paying more to
 >their local governments in taxes than people who live more rural areas.

I think this may be a case of "a and b, therefore a->b".  I don't know whether
population density has anything to do with tax rate, but density of low-income
people does.  In Illinois (not a dense state, but a large one), the single
largest line item in our state budget is public aid.  I expect that may be true
in the other large states you mentioned as well.   The cities (New York, Chicago,
Los Angeles) have always been destinations for the poor seeking jobs.

Of course, a proper sense of national justice would establish pay for the
national public aid programs with national taxes.  But that isn't how it
works, and it's working even less that way under Reagan.  The states are
receiving increasing responsibility for their poor, sick and jobless
residents.  The state and local tax deduction was one way of mitigating the
taxes needed to pay for those services.   By taking that away, Reagan will
make it even harder for the states to pay for services for their residents.
The result will likely be cutbacks and yet another gaping hole in the "safety
net."

I'm all for tax reform.  But the Reagan program seems to do more of what
Reagan does best: hurt poor people.  The supposed cuts in tax rates for low-
income people don't amount to much in real dollars; the poor don't pay a lot
of taxes now.  But the cuts in services that will probably result from this
plan will very definitely hurt.

By the way, an analysis in today's Chicago Tribune shows that the President's
plan helps the very poor (because it costs almost nothing and deflects
political criticism) and the very rich (because it's from Reagan) the most.
25% of middle income taxpayers (and 32% of upper middle income taxpayers)
would see their taxes increase under the Reagan plan, primarily because of
the loss of deduction of state and local taxes.

Mike Kelly

tw8023@pyuxii.UUCP (T Wheeler) (05/31/85)

Consider this, everyone who might think the new ideas about
state and local taxes will be double taxation.  State and
local taxes in many states ARE now double taxation.  When
you do your state and local taxes (at least in NJ) you
cannot deduct your Federal taxes.  This is the reverse of
the coin Reagan is proposing flip.   For those folks who
live in those high tax states (and I do ), perhaps a move
to reform the state and local taxes should also be pushed.
I rather like the new proposals even though I will more than
likely have to cough up more every April.  I feel that
even if I do for a few years, I will probably end up paying less
in the long run as my income changes and circumstances
change.  I`m all for a change that will force a company
like Prudential to pay more than $4.00 and some odd
cents (1984 tax bite) on over a billion in gross revenue.
T. C. Wheeler

mcal@ihuxb.UUCP (Mike Clifford) (05/31/85)

> > 	How does every one feel about Regans idea of
> > disallowing State Taxes as a deduction ?
> >
> > 	Sounds like double Taxation to Me. Perhaps
> > we should all write our congressman.
>
> Consider:  the marginal cost to a local government of each citizen
> is highest when the population density is highest. (else why are NJ, NY, NYC,
> CA, etc. the places with the highest local taxes?)  (these) people choose to
> ... pay more to
> their local governments in taxes than people who live more rural areas.  They
> receive more services from their local governments as a result: better
> police protection, fire departments, garbage pickup, etc.
>      Up till now, the federal government has been forcing people who live in
> low-local-tax areas to subsidize the taxes of the people who choose to live
> in the high-local-tax areas.  Disallowing state taxes as a deduction would
> stop this.  Do you really think that it was fair for you to force all of the
> people in the midwest to help pay your local taxes?  I don't.
> --
> Jeff Sonntag
Am I just completely dense (don't answer that!)? How is it that the low-local
tax areas are subsidizing the high-local-tax areas?  Everyone who itemizes
gets to deduct their state tax.  Where does this subsidy business occur?

Mike Clifford

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (05/31/85)

> >      Up till now, the federal government has been forcing people who live in
> > low-local-tax areas to subsidize the taxes of the people who choose to live
> > in the high-local-tax areas.  Disallowing state taxes as a deduction would
> > stop this.  Do you really think that it was fair for you to force all of the
> > people in the midwest to help pay your local taxes?  I don't.
> > --
> > Jeff Sonntag
> Am I just completely dense (don't answer that!)? How is it that the low-local
> tax areas are subsidizing the high-local-tax areas?  Everyone who itemizes
> gets to deduct their state tax.  Where does this subsidy business occur?
> Mike Clifford

     It works like this:  Person A, living in NYC, pays high local taxes.
Under current tax laws, they deduct this amount from their gross income,
reducing the amount of federal taxes they pay.  The net effect is that
their local tax costs them (1 - their marginal tax rate) * (nominal local tax)
instead of the full amount.  That difference is money which the federal
government doesn't receive; they know this will happen, and adjust tax rates
so that they get the total amount of money they want anyway.  This means,
of course, that federal tax rates must be higher than they would be otherwise
to make up the difference.  So all of the farmers in Nebraska, receiving
*none* of the benefits which person A receives for his local taxes, have to
pay higher federal taxes to make up for person A's local-tax deduction.
      Those of you who think taxes should be *fair* should like this since
it *is* more fair than the current setup.
      Those of you who think taxes should come from the rich should like
this since the high-income people will be the ones primarily affected.
(the difference in taxes is: (their marginal federal tax rate) * (their
local tax).  The first term is progressive with income, the second is
usually linear, so the product should be *much* larger for high income
people than for low.)
--

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (05/31/85)

> Ray-gun.  Consider:  the marginal cost to a local government of each citizen
> is highest when the population density is highest. (else why are NJ, NY, NYC,
> CA, etc. the places with the highest local taxes?)  Some people choose to

Actually the highest state tax rate is in Minnesota. It maxes out at
16%. Of course, if you live in New York City then your total tax bill
will be higher. I once considered a job in Minnesota, until I realized
that it would take several thousands dollars a year more, just to make
up the difference in the tax rates. There is no state income tax in
Florida.

mrl@drutx.UUCP (LongoMR) (05/31/85)

It seems to me that this would be fair IF all states received
the same amount of federal aid. I don't know whether that is the
case, but one would think that the more a state could do for
itself, the less federal money it would require for "state-supported"
programs. Therefore, states without income tax would, in effect, be
getting MORE from the federal government.

Please, no flames -- intelligent answers to the net -- I am
not an expert on these matters, I only throw this out for comment...

Mark Longo
AT&T Denver

wfl@maxvax.UUCP (w linke) (05/31/85)

[]
>From: ped@mtuxo.UUCP (p.davidson)
>Newsgroups: net.misc,net.politics
>Subject: State Tax Dedudction
>
>	How does every one feel about Regans idea of
>disallowing State Taxes as a deduction ?
>
>	Sounds like double Taxation to Me. Perhaps
>we should all write our congressman.

Double taxation?  We've already got that; the State won't let me
deduct my Federal taxes!

lrd@drusd.UUCP (L. R. DuBroff) (05/31/85)

 >Consider:  the marginal cost to a local government of each citizen
 >is highest when the population density is highest. (else why are NJ, NY, NYC,
 >CA, etc. the places with the highest local taxes?)  Some people choose to
 >live in these places anyway, for whatever reason, and end up paying more to
 >their local governments in taxes than people who live more rural areas.

HORSE COOKIES!  I live in a fringe area in Colorado.  By fringe area I mean
Denver's suburbs to the east, cows and horses for neighbors to the west.
The population density, both for my residential area and for the whole
state of Colorado, is by far the lowest of anywhere I have lived (many
eastern states, Puerto Rico, and Europe).  In direct opposition to the
stated assertion that high population density implies high local taxes,
this low population density environment is, by a significant margin, the
most expensive area I have ever lived in with respect to local taxes
(state income tax, sales taxes, etc.).  The icing on the cake is that I
have never seen the taxpayer receive so little for her/his tax dollar
as I see here.  Oh, for the good old days of the corrupt but efficient
government of Chicago's "da mare" -- Richard J!

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (06/01/85)

In article <735@mtuxo.UUCP> ped@mtuxo.UUCP (p.davidson) writes:
> How does every one feel about Regans idea of disallowing State Taxes
> as a deduction?  Sounds like double Taxation to Me.  Perhaps we should
> all write our congressman.

Indeed we should!  Let's not let this inequity slide through!
--

Ken Turkowski @ CADLINC, Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,nsc,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (06/01/85)

> 	How does every one feel about Regans idea of
> disallowing State Taxes as a deduction ?
>
> 	Sounds like double Taxation to Me. Perhaps
> we should all write our congressman.

What ever gave you the idea that double taxation is prohibitted?

If it were, I would be deducting the FICA tax, gasoline tax,
excise tax, tax on my phone bill, etc...

-Ron

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (06/01/85)

>/* js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) / 12:45 pm  May 30, 1985 */

>     Up till now, the federal government has been forcing people who live in
>low-local-tax areas to subsidize the taxes of the people who choose to live
>in the high-local-tax areas.

Taxes do not subsidixhze other taxes, since all taxes are obtained thru
threat of force.

>Do you really think that it was fair for you to force all of the
>people in the midwest to help pay your local taxes?  I don't.

It is not fair to force people anywhere to pay taxes.  What the money
is ostensibly being used for is irrelevant.

>Jeff Sonntag

						Mike Sykora

andrew@orca.UUCP (Andrew Klossner) (06/01/85)

> 	How does every one feel about Regans idea of
> disallowing State Taxes as a deduction ?
>
> 	Sounds like double Taxation to Me. Perhaps
> we should all write our congressman.

As an analogy, let's say that I market a software product that includes
programs written by two other people, and I agree to give a 10% royalty
(that's 10% of my income from product sales) to each of the two.

Would it be fair to give 10% to the first person, then only 9% (10% of
the remainder) to the second?  Of course not.

Instead of lobbying our congresscritters to add deductions such as
this, we should be working to get rid of the deductions still in the
package.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (decvax!tektronix!orca!andrew)       [UUCP]
                        (orca!andrew.tektronix@csnet-relay)  [ARPA]

fbp@cybvax0.UUCP (Rick Peralta) (06/03/85)

What happened to "CUT SPENDING" !?!?

Rick

...!cybvax0!fbp

"A likely story.  I don't believe a word of it."

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (06/03/85)

In article <1340133@acf4.UUCP> mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) writes:

> It is not fair to force people anywhere to pay taxes....

What workable alternative do you propose for providing basic services,
such as mutual defense?
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

lonetto@phri.UUCP (Michael Lonetto) (06/04/85)

>      It works like this:  Person A, living in NYC, pays high local taxes.
> Under current tax laws, they deduct this amount from their gross income,
> reducing the amount of federal taxes they pay.  The net effect is that
 their local tax costs them (1 - their marginal tax rate) * (nominal local tax)
> instead of the full amount.  That difference is money which the federal
> government doesn't receive; they know this will happen, and adjust tax rates
> so that they get the total amount of money they want anyway.  This means,
> of course, that federal tax rates must be higher than they would be otherwise
> to make up the difference.  So all of the farmers in Nebraska, receiving
> *none* of the benefits which person A receives for his local taxes, have to
> pay higher federal taxes to make up for person A's local-tax deduction.
>       Those of you who think taxes should be *fair* should like this since
> it *is* more fair than the current setup.

> Jeff Sonntag
> ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j
>     "It doesn't matter what you wear,
>      just as long as you are there." - Martha and the Vandellas

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR FOOT ***

Dear Farmer,

Waaal, I s'poses nonayer Nerbrasky farmers gits low intrsrt lones from
th' Fed'rl Guvmnt, eh?  I s'poses thet nonathem Sunbelt States with
allerther Govmint contracts fer miltery and aerospace industries is
bein subsidyized, eh?  Maybe we'all should jest ask all the poor people
to move to Nerbrasky, eh?  They're gonna be MIGHTY unhappy here, come
tax refr'm.  You think the rich people gonna keep on payin them NY
taxes if'n they cain't deduct em?  NY has always been ofa like mind to
Ronnie Raygun -only tax the rich as far as they can deduct it- I don'
xpect's gonna change now.  Enjoy the corn.

Michael Lonetto  PHRI NYC

(lonetto@phri)

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (06/05/85)

In article <11200@brl-tgr.ARPA> ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:

>> 	How does every one feel about Regans idea of
>> disallowing State Taxes as a deduction ?
>>
>> 	Sounds like double Taxation to Me. Perhaps
>> we should all write our congressman.
>
>What ever gave you the idea that double taxation is prohibitted?
>
>If it were, I would be deducting the FICA tax, gasoline tax,
>excise tax, tax on my phone bill, etc...
>
>-Ron

Double taxation IS prohibited, as far as I know.  However, that is NOT
what RayGun would be instituting.

Double taxation is the practice of applying a tax to monies on which that tax
has already been paid.  So, for instance, if you had to pay taxes on your
tax refund, then those monies would be doubly taxed.

If your state taxes your federal refund monies AND doesn't let you deduct
your federal taxes from your gross income before figuring state tax, then
they are doubly-taxing you.

Further discussion of the nature of taxes can be carried on in net.taxes
which nobody reads after April 14th anyway.

Hutch

brown@nicmad.UUCP (06/05/85)

In article <896@mhuxt.UUCP> js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) writes:
>> 	How does every one feel about Regans idea of
>> disallowing State Taxes as a deduction ?
>>
>> 	Sounds like double Taxation to Me. Perhaps
>> we should all write our congressman.
>
>     Seems like one of the best ideas I've *ever* heard come out of Ronnie
>Ray-gun.  Consider:  the marginal cost to a local government of each citizen
>is highest when the population density is highest. (else why are NJ, NY, NYC,
>CA, etc. the places with the highest local taxes?)  Some people choose to
>live in these places anyway, for whatever reason, and end up paying more to
>their local governments in taxes than people who live more rural areas.  They
>receive more services from their local governments as a result: better
>police protection, fire departments, garbage pickup, etc.
>     Up till now, the federal government has been forcing people who live in
>low-local-tax areas to subsidize the taxes of the people who choose to live
>in the high-local-tax areas.  Disallowing state taxes as a deduction would
>stop this.  Do you really think that it was fair for you to force all of the
>people in the midwest to help pay your local taxes?  I don't.

You really shouldn't pick on the midwest.  According to our local news broad-
casts and words from our own gov, WI is one of the highest states in payment
of taxes from its residents.  I don't live here because I can deduct those
taxes from my federal return, but do you think it is also fair to have
Uncle Sam give me back some money (I don't what yet), just so Uncle State
can take it away with high taxes?  It almost seems to me, until I can get
copies of the so-called formulas, that it would be a wash.  I don't win or
lose.  The tax reform is supposed to help me win.

I other words, I want the State tax deduction returned to the package.  I
would love to have Uncle State charge less taxes, then I would have less
to deduct, but I would also be paying less.
--
              |------------|
              | |-------| o|    JVC HRD725U
Mr. Video     | |       | o|  |--------------|
              | |       |  |  | |----| o o o |
              | |-------| O|  |--------------|
              |------------|     VHS Hi-Fi (the only way to go)
   ({!seismo,!ihnp4}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown)

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (06/05/85)

>/* mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) /  2:04 pm  Jun  3, 1985 */

>What workable alternative do you propose for providing basic services,
>such as mutual defense?
>
>Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

I've done some thinking about this, and it seems a sticky problem.
One possibility is to finance defense thru contributions.  This may
not seem realistic at first, but it must be looked at in light of
the fact that in the absence of taxes, most people may be far more
generous with their money (I hope).  In addition, I believe it is likely,
given that the system will be financed by contributions, that there will
be less waste and fraud because people will have more control over how
their money is spent.  Also, defense of other countries will not have to
be financed by Americans, unless they want to finance it.

If such a system doesn't work, we can always go back to the old one.
In the meantime, the government can finance defense by selling
its vast holdings (in areas other than defense).

					Mike Sykora

robg@mmintl.UUCP (Robert Goldman) (06/05/85)

>     Seems like one of the best ideas I've *ever* heard come out of Ronnie
>Ray-gun.  Consider:  the marginal cost to a local government of each citizen
>is highest when the population density is highest. (else why are NJ, NY, NYC,
>CA, etc. the places with the highest local taxes?)  Some people choose to
>live in these places anyway, for whatever reason, and end up paying more to
>their local governments in taxes than people who live more rural areas.  They
>receive more services from their local governments as a result: better
>police protection, fire departments, garbage pickup, etc.
             /\
   when were you last in NYC?

	Part of the reason that these places have high taxes is that people from
your precious rural areas flee there when they can't find jobs, treatment
for mental illness, etc., etc.  People in these high population areas are
paying to support the `human garbage' generated by areas with lower tax
rates.  SOMEBODY'S got to feed the poor S.O.B.'s.

						robert goldman
						multimate int'l.

opinions are mine and mine alone.

flink@umcp-cs.UUCP (Paul V. Torek) (06/06/85)

In article <1340148@acf4.UUCP> mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) writes:
>>What workable alternative do you propose for providing basic services,
>>such as mutual defense?
>>Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh
>
>I've done some thinking about this, and it seems a sticky problem.
>One possibility is to finance defense thru contributions.  This may
>not seem realistic at first, but it must be looked at in light of
>the fact that in the absence of taxes, most people may be far more
>generous with their money (I hope).  [...]
>					Mike Sykora

Recently, while reading my 1040 form instructions, I came across
directions for those who wish to contribute additional money beyond
the taxes they owe.  It was mentioned that $400,000 was contributed
in such a way in 1984.  As you say, people would probably contribute
more in the absence of taxes, but it had better be FAR FAR more,
because $400,000 wouldn't even buy one M-1 tank.
					Paul Torek

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (06/06/85)

In article <1340148@acf4.UUCP> mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) writes:
> >/* mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) /  2:04 pm  Jun  3, 1985 */
>
> >What workable alternative do you propose for providing basic services,
> >such as mutual defense?
>
> I've done some thinking about this, and it seems a sticky problem.

An understatement.  But honest.

> One possibility is to finance defense thru contributions.  This may
> not seem realistic at first, but it must be looked at in light of
> the fact that in the absence of taxes, most people may be far more
> generous with their money (I hope).

I would sock mine into gold and survivalist preparations, if this came
about.  :-)  Seriously, I think that's a slim hope.  People have not been
significantly more generous with their reduced taxes.  To date, the
largest incentive ever seen for generosity has been direct deductions
from taxes, on the grounds that if you have to lose money, it might as
well be lost to something you want to support (and may get kickbacks of
honor, social connections, etc. from.)

> In addition, I believe it is likely,
> given that the system will be financed by contributions, that there will
> be less waste and fraud because people will have more control over how
> their money is spent.  Also, defense of other countries will not have to
> be financed by Americans, unless they want to finance it.

Will people have more control how their money is spent?  If so, I'm
reminded of the lament of a Cornell U. administrator: "No donor wants
a new steam line named after him."  There are lots of government
expenses that are major but not sexy enough to be contributed to.

As for defense of other countries, what will you have?  Will we donate
to both sides in Nicaragua, because some of us like the contras and
others like the Sandanistas?

And what about the free-market in world domination?  It is the wealth
we can rally for our defense (more than anyone else) that keeps us and
our interests safe and dominating the world.  If we abandon our means of
efficiently channeling wealth into defense, someone else who still uses
those means will be able to outcompete us.

> If such a system doesn't work, we can always go back to the old one.
> In the meantime, the government can finance defense by selling
> its vast holdings (in areas other than defense).

With current defense costs in the hundreds of billions of dollars, how
long do you think the government can finance anything with this non-
renewable source of income?  Frankly, I consider this idea to be part
of the hidden agenda of many groups to buy undervalued government
resources for their own profits (ignoring any benefits to the rest of
us from the current state of those resources.)
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (06/07/85)

> 	How does every one feel about Regans idea of
> disallowing State Taxes as a deduction ?
> 	Sounds like double Taxation to Me. Perhaps
> we should all write our congressman.

Of course, if all those state legislators who are complaining about
double taxation would just change the STATE law so that you could
deduct federal taxes from it, there would be no double taxation!

If you want to see how the land REALLY lies, watch your statehouse
to see how quickly this gets done...
		Ken Arnold

slag@charm.UUCP (Peter Rosenthal) (06/07/85)

The only problem with this analysis is that it assumes that
all regions get the same share of federal money.  New York,
for instance supplies much much more money to the federal
government in the form of taxes than it gets back in the
form of government programs.

In principle, if all the federal money benefits all citizens
equally,  then I would agree that its not fair to choose to
live in a place with high local taxes and services and expect
to be relieved of some of your federal tax burden.

But the fact is that it will be very bad for the country if
state taxes can't be deducted.  It will be a disaster for
education, because there will be tremendous pressures on
state and local governments to cut taxes.  School taxes are the only
taxes that people get to vote on directly.  State governments
will have to spend more money on college programs to make up
for all the cuts in federal student support and grants.
Secondary schools will be in direct competition
with state colleges  for funds that aren't even adequate
now.

The last thing this country needs is to undermine the
educational system any more than it already has.

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (06/07/85)

>/* mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) / 12:23 pm  Jun  6, 1985 */

>People have not been
>significantly more generous with their reduced taxes.

Whose taxes have been reduced?  I'm not sure that mine have been, but if they
have, it was only by a a slight amount.

>To date, the
>largest incentive ever seen for generosity has been direct deductions
>from taxes, on the grounds that if you have to lose money, it might as
>well be lost to something you want to support (and may get kickbacks of
>honor, social connections, etc. from.)

In theory, if A donates $20,000 to charity, he pays no taxes on this amount.
If he spends the $20,000 on a car for personal use instead, he pays
$10,000 in taxes (assuming a 50% rate).  Thus, in the first case A
gives up $20,000 and receives the benefits you describe.  One can only
speculate about how large a fraction of $20,000 these benefits are
worth to A (excluding the "good feeling" A gets from giving to charity).
In the 2nd case, A gives up $30,000, and gets a car worth 20,000.
It is not clear that A has not in fact been generous.  It seems likely to
me that he HAS been generous.

Of course, tax deductions do provide greater incentives to give to charity
than there would be without the tax deductions.  However, given that
people won't have to pay taxes on this money anyway, it is not clear
that they won't be generous, albeit, to a lesser percentage than
when there are tax deductions for charitable contributions.  But this
is a lesser percentage of a greater sum, and thus it is not clear that
the amount contributed will not be much greater than when there are
taxes and tax deductions for charitable contributions.

MOREOVER, we're not really talking about charity here, since every one
of us has a lot to lose if we don't have an adequate defense.  Rich people
have the most to lose in such a situation (at least materially), and they
are also the one's who can do the most to prevent losses.

>> In addition, I believe it is likely,
>> given that the system will be financed by contributions, that there will
>> be less waste and fraud because people will have more control over how
>> their money is spent.  Also, defense of other countries will not have to
>> be financed by Americans, unless they want to finance it.

>Will people have more control how their money is spent?  If so, I'm
>reminded of the lament of a Cornell U. administrator: "No donor wants
>a new steam line named after him."  There are lots of government
>expenses that are major but not sexy enough to be contributed to.

I'll have to do some more thinking about that one.

>As for defense of other countries, what will you have?  Will we donate
>to both sides in Nicaragua, because some of us like the contras and
>others like the Sandanistas?

I suspect it's unlikely that many will be contributing to the Sandinistas,
and slightly more likely that people will be contributing to the contras.

>And what about the free-market in world domination?  It is the wealth
>we can rally for our defense (more than anyone else) that keeps us and
>our interests safe and dominating the world.  If we abandon our means of
>efficiently channeling wealth into defense, someone else who still uses
>those means will be able to outcompete us.

I don't believe we should be trying to dominate the world!

>> If such a system doesn't work, we can always go back to the old one.
>> In the meantime, the government can finance defense by selling
>> its vast holdings (in areas other than defense).

>With current defense costs in the hundreds of billions of dollars, how
>long do you think the government can finance anything with this non-
>renewable source of income?

It is not necessary that we eliminate taxes for defense right away.
We can cut it gradually and see what happens.

>Frankly, I consider this idea to be part
>of the hidden agenda of many groups to buy undervalued government
>resources for their own profits (ignoring any benefits to the rest of
>us from the current state of those resources.)

Why?

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (06/12/85)

>>Frankly, I consider this idea to be part
>>of the hidden agenda of many groups to buy undervalued government
>>resources for their own profits (ignoring any benefits to the rest of
>>us from the current state of those resources.)
>
>Why?

Historical precedence, perhaps?  In the UK, the government is "priva-
tising" many resources previously owned by the gov't.  (These being
British Telecom, British Airways, British Leyland, etc.)  The government
has consistantly sold the company for much less than its real value.

Who can afford to put out alot of money to buy large numbers of shares
in these companies (and therefore turn quite large profits)?  Guess!
--
James C Armstrong, Jnr.   ihnp4!abnji!nyssa

I have not come as your prisoner, Davros, but as your executioner.

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (06/13/85)

The Canadian approach to Federal and Provincial taxes is to have a
single income tax form to cover both (except in Quebec).  You calculate
your Federal tax and then compute your Provincial tax as a proportion
(with some modifications) that depends on which Province you live in.
There's no particular question of double taxation or of subsidy (those
are done by other means, both open and hidden).  It seems reasonable
to me that if you are going to have multiple levels of taxing authorities,
they should get together and make it simple for people to deal with
the various taxes together.  (Why don't we also do it with municipal
taxes, instead of shifting to the unfair property tax?)
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (06/13/85)

>/* nyssa@abnji.UUCP / 12:44 pm  Jun 12, 1985 */

>Historical precedence, perhaps?  In the UK, the government is "priva-
>tising" many resources previously owned by the gov't.  (These being
>British Telecom, British Airways, British Leyland, etc.)  The government
>has consistantly sold the company for much less than its real value.

This typically happens because the government does not allow open
bidding on these companies.  Otherwise, the market would see to it that
they sold for what they are worth the vast majority of the time.

>Who can afford to put out alot of money to buy large numbers of shares
>in these companies (and therefore turn quite large profits)?  Guess!

Pension funds, perhaps?

>James C Armstrong, Jnr.   ihnp4!abnji!nyssa

						Mike Sykora

tos@psc70.UUCP (Dr.Schlesinger) (06/16/85)

    The Rosenthal article re. very bad effect of removing state and
local tax deduction on education budgets sounds logical on the face of
it, and one can hardly argue with its basic thrust... we all want
schools to be supported.
    However, the facts are almost opposite. The state and local tax
deduction from federal tax (affecting app. 56% of taxpayers in the
state of New York, acc. to what I read) favors the states where the
spending on education has been highest all along, i.e. like New York,
California, Florida... relatively "progressive" states.
    The deduction is widely considered "unfair" in states where the
least is spent on education, e.g. here in New Hampshire. And here's
the rub: New Hampshire, along with the other northern New England
states, still has the old-fashioned town meeting system, where people
vote personally and directly to appropriate the amount of money to be
spent during the year on anything, including their school. They know
and indeed discuss at great length, what impact their votes will have
on the tax rate during the coming fiscal year. They certainly give no
evidence that the deduction affects their decisions... (knowing the
types of business and socioeconomic status of the "folks" one can
fairly well guess that many are now deducting their property taxes...
not because they have such high incomes, but because they are in
situations where they might lose quite a lot by taking the "standard"
deduction.)
    Anyway, the main point is not the individual behavior, but that it
in states where people have direct control over their education
expenditures and when, of course, the deduction has been available,
the spending on education has been drastically lower (both in absolute
terms per pupil and in terms of ability to pay, i.e. "tax effort")
than in states where the people have only very indirect control of
this... i.e. by electing more "conservative" school board and
legislature if the previous ones are spending "too much."