[net.politics] Tecanica -- technical aid to Nicaragua

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (06/16/85)

One more quick pointer: I've finally found the address for Tecanica, the
technical aid project by which programmers, electronics technicians and the
like can contribute their services in war-torn Nicaragua.  Volunteers pay
their air fare to and from Managua; room and board are provided in return.
An acquaintance of mine went last year and spent two weeks working for the
National Bank of Nicaragua.  He said that people with IBM, micro or hardware
repair experience are most sorely needed, but almost any competent
programmer can make him/herself useful.

The address:	Tecanica
		110 Brookside Dr.
		Berkeley, CA 94705
		(212) 427-0634, (415) 654-7768

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle
--- riddle@ut-sally.UUCP, riddle@ut-sally.ARPA, riddle%zotz@ut-sally

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (06/16/85)

Oh, yes!!!  We'd all love to help those wonderful Sandinistas, wouldn't
we!

bakken@fluke.UUCP (Greg Bakken) (06/18/85)

In article <2113@ut-sally.UUCP> riddle@ut-sally.UUCP writes:

>One more quick pointer: I've finally found the address for Tecanica, the
>technical aid project by which programmers, electronics technicians and the
>like can contribute their services in war-torn Nicaragua.  Volunteers pay
>their air fare to and from Managua; room and board are provided in return.
>An acquaintance of mine went last year and spent two weeks working for the
>National Bank of Nicaragua.  He said that people with IBM, micro or hardware
>repair experience are most sorely needed, but almost any competent
>programmer can make him/herself useful.

Does anybody know about any similar projects to aid war-torn El Salvador?

					Greg Bakken

John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.;PO Box C9090;MS 269D;Everett WA 98206;(206) 356-6298
{uw-beaver,decvax!microsof,ucbvax!lbl-csam,allegra,ssc-vax}!fluke!bakken
"Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of management... etc. ad naseum."

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/21/85)

> One more quick pointer: I've finally found the address for Tecanica, the
> technical aid project by which programmers, electronics technicians and the
> like can contribute their services in war-torn Nicaragua.  Volunteers pay
> their air fare to and from Managua; room and board are provided in return.
> An acquaintance of mine went last year and spent two weeks working for the
> National Bank of Nicaragua.  He said that people with IBM, micro or hardware
> repair experience are most sorely needed, but almost any competent
> programmer can make him/herself useful.
>
> The address:	Tecanica
> 		110 Brookside Dr.
> 		Berkeley, CA 94705
> 		(212) 427-0634, (415) 654-7768
>
> --- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
> --- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle
> --- riddle@ut-sally.UUCP, riddle@ut-sally.ARPA, riddle%zotz@ut-sally

Gee, I've wanted to help the Contras in Nicaragua for quite a while ---
do you suppose *they* need programming assistance too?