[net.politics] Branching off from "Affirmative Action"

west@sdcsla.UUCP (Larry West) (06/25/85)

I'm pulling out a very small part of an article in a long series
of Affirmative Action articles.   Obviously, I'm pulling out a
point that interests me, and, I hope, others.

In article <259@kontron.UUCP> cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
 > However, I can't come up with a way to eliminate discrimination
 > anymore than I can eliminate gravity --- it seems at times to be
 > built in to the human species, and the best we can hope for is to
 > allow the free market to make discrimination costly.

I'm going to ignore the issue of whether we have anything like a
"free market" in this country, and assume that for practical
purposes, we do.   (I think there is an issue about what "free
market" means when some goods or services or laborers are
discriminated against on the basis of their national origin
or sex.   And yes, that sentence has potential for humor.)

I'm curious about Clayton's last phrase.   I'd like to hear people's
suggestions as to:

	1) Does the "free market" presently work to make
	   discrimination costly [i.e., costly enough to
	   matter]?

	2) What means could/should be taken to encourage
	   this behavior of the marketplace?

	3) What sorts of trade-offs of rights/privileges
	   do/will the answers to 1) and 2) have?

Shall I stress that I want people on all sides of AA to think
about this, and not just answer off the tops of their heads?   No,
that seems unnecessary now...
--

Larry West			Institute for Cognitive Science
(USA+619-)452-6220		UC San Diego (mailcode C-015) [x6220]