[net.politics] myopic remarks - "pressure Israel" and Reagan-bashing

carnes@gargoyle.UChicago.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (06/26/85)

In article <> cher@ihlpm.UUCP (cherepov) writes:

>Apart from the fact that Israel's stance against terrorism
>would be weakend by such blackmailed exchange - with serious
>danger to a lot of Israelis - (well, it's "their problem"),
>exchange would be a VERY bad deal for US.  Here's why:
>
>R. Carnes talks about exchange, but it does not take a crystal ball
>to see how great an encouragement it would be to all the Khadaffis
>Husseins, Arafats, Jihads, Red Brigades, Gorbachevs of the world.

When Israel illegally detains innocent civilians (and permits a
massacre, a few years ago), it makes Israel, in the eyes of the
Reagan Administration, a bulwark of freedom and democracy in the
Middle East.  When Shiite extremists do the same thing, it makes them
evil terrorists.  Just as when the US invades the territories and
mines the harbors of countries with which we are not at war, it
proves our awesome nobility.  When the Soviet Union perpetrates
similar actions, it proves their depravity.  The US, to judge from
its actions, is a firm believer in "the ends justify the means."
Then why shouldn't we judge the hijackers by the political ends they
are trying to achieve, rather than by the illegality of their means?

I don't have a simple solution to the problem of terrorism, if that
is your term for violations of international law.  But terrorism
arises from political grievances, and those problems should be
addressed.  Some have suggested massive retaliation, e.g. killing ten
Shiites for every hostage killed.  But I still haven't figured out
how two wrongs make a right or how knee-jerk vengeance will lead to
anything but an escalating, Hatfield-vs.-McCoy cycle of violence.
Unfortunately, many Americans are incapable of seeing world politics
as anything but a shoot-out between the Good Guys and the Bad Guys.
As long as we maintain our self-righteous, cowboys-vs.-Indians view
of world affairs, we can count on lots more terrorism in the future.

(This will have to be my last contribution on this subject for a
while.)

R. Carnes