[net.politics] America-Baiting

berman@ihlpg.UUCP (Andy Berman) (06/28/85)

       ...utzoo!utcsri!garfield!markr   writes:

> The only people who see U.S.A. as the world's big brother are you americains.
> You americans are willing to sacrifice anything and anyone to get
>to your goals.
> It is my belief that American stands for AROGANCE!!!
    I thnk this kind of American baiting is self-defeating and foolish.
While the frustration at the stupidities of the foreign policy of the
US government and the crass national chauvenism of most US media is
understandable, the failure to distinguish between the American people
and their government is wrong.

    It only plays into the hands of those who whip up national chauvenism,
and is particularly dangerous at times such as this current hostage crisis.
It tends to solidify people behind the very knee-jerk nationalistic
paranoia that, in calmer times, people tend to reject.

     Nicaraguans, Cubans, Vietnamese, those who have suffered the most
from the military adventures of recent US Administrations, are among the
most sophisticated in understanding the necessity for making the distinction
between the American people and their government.
     There is tremendous appreciation in those nations and through-out the
third world for the efforts of ordinary American citizens to oppose
the policies of our government.
     You don't find there the kind of American baiting there that our friend
from Canada is shouting aloud.

     If we Americans are ever to reverse the tragic and dangerous course
of our government, it will come from pride, pride in the great struggles
of our own history---from the Abolitionists to the Labor struggles to the
Anti-War movements. Those who preach to us to reject ourselves, to reject
our nation, offer disasterous advice.

          Andy Berman
          ihnp4!ihlpg!berman