[net.politics] Reagan Quotes

trainor@ucla-cs.UUCP (06/26/85)

Here's a list of some quotes from Reagan.  They were inside
the play program from "Rap Master Ronnie."  No wonder Reagan
"dislikes" Trudeau...  Anyone else got any embarassing quotes from
these people we call politicians?

"Politics is just like showbusiness.  You have ahell of an opening,
coast for awhile, and then have a hell of a close." --Ronald Reagan

"I would have voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964." --Ronald
Reagan

"I believe the time has come for a new noblesse n' oblige by the
American aristocracy of accomplishment." --Ronald Reagan

"...I sneer at women's current drive for liberation--whatever the hell
that means...I know where women came from.  God made the first one,
Eve, from one of Adam's ribs...it all boils down to simple jealousy."
--W.E. Bolton, Castro Valley, Ca

"Dear Mr. Bolton,
	 I have read you letter anent ribs and women with great interest.
I am pleased to tell you that I share your views about women's
liberation."  --Ronald Reagan

"Religion and politics are necessarily related." --Ronald Reagan

"Unemployment insurance is a pre-paid vacation for freeloaders."
--Ronald Reagan

"We must have more guns and less butter." --Ronald Reagan

"I think that much of what we have done with the economic recovery has
been more beneficial at the bottom of the economic ladder." --Ronald
Reagan

"We think that we are helping the forces that are supporting human
rights in El Salvador." --Ronald Reagan

"I'm a lazy fellow.  I work up to a certain point, but beyond that
point, I say the hell with it." --Ronald Reagan

"Approximately 80% of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons
released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and
enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources." --Ronald
Reagan

"...man has used every weapon he has ever devised...it takes no crystal
ball to perceive that nuclear war is likely sooner or later." --Ronald
Reagan

"Make sure that I was telling you the truth." --Ronald Reagan

"There is no law saying the Negro has to live in Harlem or Watts."
--Ronald Reagan

"Don't you open up the possibility of being hit by a surprise nuclear
attack far more if you assure the rest of the world that under no
circumstances would you ever be the first to fire these bombs?"
--Ronald Reagan

"You know, I turn back to our ancient prophets in the Old Testament and
the signs fortelling Armageddon, and I find myself wondering if--if
we're the generation that is going to see it come about." --Ronald
Reagan

"The truth is, there are simple answers." --Ronald Reagan

"You ain't seen nothin' yet." --Ronald Reagan

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/27/85)

> Here's a list of some quotes from Reagan.  They were inside
> the play program from "Rap Master Ronnie."  No wonder Reagan
> "dislikes" Trudeau...  Anyone else got any embarassing quotes from
> these people we call politicians?

> "Approximately 80% of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons
> released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and
> enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources." --Ronald
> Reagan

This statement by Reagan is garbled, but not entirely wrong.  About
75% of hydrocarbon pollution in Southern California is caused by
vegetation.  This is one reason that a number of Air Quality Management
Districts were reluctant to require vapor recovery systems in gas
stations, since the bulk of the hydrocarbons were coming from trees
and shrubs.  (The xylenes are the reason the Great Smoky Mountains
are smokey.)

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (06/27/85)

In article <6142@ucla-cs.ARPA> trainor@ucla-cs.UUCP (Douglas J. Trainor) writes:
> Here's a list of some quotes from Reagan.  They were inside
> the play program from "Rap Master Ronnie."...
>
> "You know, I turn back to our ancient prophets in the Old Testament and
> the signs fortelling Armageddon, and I find myself wondering if--if
> we're the generation that is going to see it come about." --Ronald Reagan

Some fundamentalist theologians believe that according to Revelations, Reagan's
election is *itself* one of those signs - and that RR himself is the Antichrist:

	Ronald Wilson Reagan == 666 == (int) beast

Personally, I think I'd prefer a "secular humanist"!  :-)

Andrew W. (that's "William") Rogers

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (06/29/85)

On a late night TV interview show (I don't remember which one) some time
within the lat year, Congressman Charles Rangel of New York said that
"we have a voluntary tax system."  And the interviewer didn't even raise
an eyebrow!  So much for the "unbiased" media!

						Mike Sykora

oliver@unc.UUCP (Bill Oliver) (06/30/85)

In article <grkermi.480> andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) writes:

>Some fundamentalist theologians believe that according to Revelations, Reagan's
>election is *itself* one of those signs - and that RR himself is the Antichrist:
>
>	Ronald Wilson Reagan == 666 == (int) beast
>
>Personally, I think I'd prefer a "secular humanist"!  :-)

Ahem.  Which fundamentalist theologian are you speaking of?

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (07/01/85)

In article <514@unc.UUCP> oliver@unc.UUCP (Bill Oliver) writes:
>In article <grkermi.480> andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) writes:
>>
>>Some fundamentalist theologians believe that according to Revelations,
>>Reagan's election is *itself* one of those signs - and that RR himself is the
>>Antichrist:
>>
>>	Ronald Wilson Reagan == 666 == (int) beast
>>
>>Personally, I think I'd prefer a "secular humanist"!  :-)
>

>Ahem.  Which fundamentalist theologian are you speaking of?

Unfortunately, I don't remember.  I read this theory three or four years ago
in a magazine which seemed to be a weird hybrid of a) fundamentalist theology,
b) Libertarianism, c) survivalism, d) conspiracy theory, and e) advocacy of a
return to the gold standard.  (My best guess is 'The Duck Book', although I
don't think they're big on (a).)  Oh yeah, how could I forget f) diatribes
against the Trilateral Commission and the Council on Foreign Relations???

The author did (claim to) have a doctorate in theology.  The gist of the
article was that every evil force from the Bavarian Illuminati through IRA's
was linked together through the number 666.  (The Wall Street Journal once
covered the latter - it seems that the number 666 once appeared on IRA forms
until protests from certain religious groups forced the IRS to change it.)

As I recall, the author also used numerology to contort 'Kissinger' into '666',
thereby proving that Henry the K was yet another agent of Satan...

Andrew W. Rogers (676)

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/01/85)

In article <514@unc.UUCP> oliver@unc.UUCP (Bill Oliver) writes:
>In article <grkermi.480> andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) writes:
>>
>>Some fundamentalist theologians believe that according to Revelations, Reagan's
>>election is *itself* one of those signs - and that RR himself is the Antichrist:
>>
>>	Ronald Wilson Reagan == 666 == (int) beast
>>
>>Personally, I think I'd prefer a "secular humanist"!  :-)
>

>Ahem.  Which fundamentalist theologian are you speaking of?

No matter. They're all fundementally the same :-).

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

bill@persci.UUCP (07/01/85)

>> Here's a list of some quotes from Reagan.  They were inside
>> the play program from "Rap Master Ronnie."...
>>
>Some fundamentalist theologians believe that according to Revelations, Reagan's
>election is *itself* one of those signs - and that RR himself is the Antichrist:

You can probably find a self-proclaimed "fundamentalist theologian" to support
any political opinion you want to express.
--
Bill Swan 	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill