[net.politics] Responding to Terrorism

ward@ttidcc.UUCP (Don Ward) (06/24/85)

It seems that Israel, with their wealth of enemies in close proximity
to their country, have amply demonstrated the value of responding to
terrorist activities at a level sufficiently disproportionate to dis-
courage future would-be terrorists.  Unfortunately, the USA doesn't
respond at all.  It appears that our government is unwilling to act
unless all rules of evidence and legal nicities are satisfied and thus
encourages acts of violence.  All of our supposed military power is
worthless if those transgressing against our interests and citizens
are convinced that we will not respond with force.  I remember vaguely
reading about a case during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt (the
good Roosevelt) where TR said, in effect, our guy alive or your leader
dead.

All this crap about "innocent" Shias makes me want to puke.  Are our
citizens any less innocent?  I'm sure we know where Khoumani lives.
We ought to issue an ultimatum to these so-called terrorists (actually
murderers and kidnappers) that unless our people are released immediately,
Khoumani's house and surroundings will be missing tommorow morning.  Had
we retaliated thus when one of our citizens was murdered a few months
ago, this wouldn't be necessary.  If we don't do anything now, when
will we?

west@sdcsla.UUCP (Larry West) (06/29/85)

In article <500@ttidcc.UUCP> ward@ttidcc.UUCP (Don Ward) writes:
>It seems that Israel, with their wealth of enemies in close proximity
>to their country, have amply demonstrated the value of responding to
>terrorist activities at a level sufficiently disproportionate to dis-
>courage future would-be terrorists.

That's funny, I hadn't noticed much of a long-term decline in the
number of terrorist actions against Israel.   But then you probably
only worry about an eye for an eye, and not about the future.

>				      Unfortunately, the USA doesn't
>respond at all.  It appears that our government is unwilling to act
>unless all rules of evidence and legal nicities are satisfied and thus
>encourages acts of violence.

Legal nicities such as finding those responsible and not killing
innocent people, which even that great moralist Ronnie Reagan
realizes is terrorism (well, except in Nicaragua, South Africa, etc.)?

>				All of our supposed military power is
>worthless if those transgressing against our interests and citizens
>are convinced that we will not respond with force.

And how much is it worth if we knock off a few hundred thousand people?
Or maybe we should measure ideologies that we exterminate?

>						      I remember vaguely
>reading about a case during the presidency of Theodore Roosevelt (the
>good Roosevelt) where TR said, in effect, our guy alive or your leader
>dead.

I suggest you try reading less vaguely.   The "good Roosevelt"?   Hmmm.
Well, I guess you must really enjoy imperialism.

>All this crap about "innocent" Shias makes me want to puke.  Are our
>citizens any less innocent?

People with weak stomachs should not get involved in politics.   It's
not for the faint-hearted.

You seem to be saying that since our citizens are "innocent", we should
feel free to visit retribution upon anyone else who is "innocent".   If
this is what you meant, I'd like to hear you defend it.

You appear to miss a major point of the hijacking, which is that
Lebanon is a mess and we've helped make it that way.   We can't
pretent to be an uninvolved bystander when we've been supplying the
arms and money that has been fueling the conflict there for over a
decade.   And we have no higher moral ground on which to stand,
considering our policies and actions in Nicaragua and South
Africa.   Or do you think that Nicaragua should threaten to bomb
the White House unless Reagan stops funding the CIA-backed
(-funded, -trained, -armed) terrorists in that country?

And my main point is that you can't just strike out at people
who have a cause.   You'll only create martyrs and breed more
determination and more drastic actions.
--

Larry West			Institute for Cognitive Science
(USA+619-)452-6220		UC San Diego (mailcode C-015) [x6220]

cdshaw@watmum.UUCP (Chris Shaw) (07/02/85)

In article <920@sdcsla.UUCP> west@sdcsla.UUCP (Larry West) writes:

>You appear to miss a major point of the hijacking, which is that
>Lebanon is a mess and we've helped make it that way.   We can't
>pretent to be an uninvolved bystander when we've been supplying the
>arms and money that has been fueling the conflict there for over a
>decade.
>--
>
>Larry West			Institute for Cognitive Science

I have some questions.. Who (in Lebanon) has the US been supplying with arms
in order to "fuel the conflict". I don't mean just selling weapons on the
world's arms market, but government-sponsored support.  Agreed, Lebanon is
a mess, but did the US have a starring role in the conflict? Or did the US
just sell popcorn?

The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think that "we've helped make
Lebanon a mess" is a justified charge, especially when considered over the
last 10 years. The same goes for Israel, since it is only recently that
Israel has gotten involved with Lebanon (in order to destroy the PLO).

Lebanon's internal troubles have been their own fault for a long time.

Chris Shaw    watmath!watmum!cdshaw  or  cdshaw@watmath
University of Waterloo
I was walking down the street one day, when suddenly... my baloney melted !

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (07/04/85)

>Lebanon's internal troubles have been their own fault for a long time.
>
>Chris Shaw    watmath!watmum!cdshaw  or  cdshaw@watmath

Before King Hussein kicked the PLO out of Jordan because they were
messing up his country, Lebanon was the jewel of the Middle East,
and Beirut the jewel of the Mediterranean.  It was the one place in
the area that had a reputation as tolerant and safe, both Western and
Arab in culture and contact.  For the PLO, it was another place they
didn't want to be, but still a convenient base for terrorism, and
terrorists don't much approve of moderates or of toleration. (Not
trying to claim most Palestinians are terrorists, or even that they
don't have very legitimate grievances both against the Arab nations
and against Israel).  When you put a large group of armed outcasts
into a "nice" society, like Lebanon was, the society doesn't have much
chance to survive in its original form.

If Lebanon is to blame for its own troubles, it is largely because it was
tolerant enough (or weak enough or shortsighted enough) to allow the
PLO to set up shop there.

As another point, Syria never really accepted the separation of Lebanon,
and has always wanted to assert its authority (and presumably eventually
extend its territory into the area).  A stable Lebanese government is
not in Syria's interests.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt