[net.politics] Terrorism and TWA 847

raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Raju Bhatt) (07/02/85)

>From: ephraim@techunix.bitnet (Ephraim Silverberg)
>
>   When the State of Israel tries to neutralise the  military  camps  of  the
>   Shi'ites  in  Lebanon, we are condemned as facists and murderers, although
>   these people have waged an active war of terror on the Northern  residents
>   of Israel for over ten years. However, when the lives of Americans are af-
>   fected then a "different" standard seems to apply -- anything goes: random
>   killing, attack civilian populations, etc.
>
>   I do *not*, Heaven forbid, take the  lives  of  the  endangered  Americans
>   lightly and I sincerely hope and pray that they all return safely to their
>   homes and families.  I am only sickened by the *constant* double  standard
>   the  world applies to the State of Israel.  We value the blood of our peo-
>   ple and children as much as you do.

Interesting, so the Shiites were attacking Israel for the last 10 years...Then
what were the Palestinians doing, sightseeing in the refugee camps? I hope by
now you realised that you goofed, but then to you "They all look the same."  I
don't believe the whole world applies the double standard.  The Jewish Lobby
along with the many Jewish-owned publications (Ex: New York Times), have helped
Israel retain a "special" standard with the U.S.  About not taking "the lives
of the ... Americans lightly" and hoping (and praying) "that all return safely
to their homes and families", I guess that to you "Who cares about those Shiites
whom Israel is holding, after all they must not have families".  After pounding
West Beirut and having Arafat withdraw his forces on the condition that Israel
would not enter West Beirut, the Israeli "sightseeing" force entered West Beirut
and pretended not to see the Maronites killing Palestinian refugees.  Did the
American public forget that or were they helped to forget?

<Note: Shouldn't this discussion be exclusively in net.politics?>

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (07/04/85)

>From: raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Raju Bhatt)
>Subject: Re: Terrorism and TWA 847
>Date: Tue, 2-Jul-85 05:08:32 EDT
>
>...The Jewish Lobby
>along with the many Jewish-owned publications (Ex: New York Times), have helped
		     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Israel retain a "special" standard with the U.S.

Uh oh, here they come, right of their dark little holes...the classic
"jew haters".

Ok, if you're going to be a boor in public then me too:

Do you really think *all* Jews unquestionably support Israel on everything?
Even in Israel, let alone America?

Do you really believe the owners of the NY Times just work their wills
on all editorial comments in the paper? Even the syndicated stuff?

Can you name at least one newspaper not owned by Jews that you disagree
with? How do you so easily explain that (oh yeah, they must owe money
to the Jewish Banking Conspiracy)?

This is a tired argument used by some of the biggest nut groups in this
country and is not generally (I hope) believed or even considered by
rational people, so save your fingers, most of us just laughed at you.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (07/05/85)

In article <1947@ut-ngp.UTEXAS> raju@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Raju Bhatt) writes:
>don't believe the whole world applies the double standard...
>								After pounding
>West Beirut and having Arafat withdraw his forces on the condition that Israel
>would not enter West Beirut, the Israeli "sightseeing" force entered West Beirut
>and pretended not to see the Maronites killing Palestinian refugees.  Did the
>American public forget that or were they helped to forget?

The Wall Street Journal put it very well in this article of May 30:

	"Something seems to be missing as violence in Lebanon
	 rises to a new crescendo. For weeks now, Christian
	 forces have been in retreat from advancing Shiites;
	 the number of Christian refugees is approaching
	 100,000, though precise estimates are hard to find.
	 And since May 19, Shiite forces have been moving in
	 on Palestinian camps, including Sabra and Shatilla,
	 around the Lebanese capital... the latest despatches
	 say hundreds of people have been massacred.

	"Where are all the moralists now? They descended on the
	 Lebanese story in droves when, in September 1982,
	 Phalangist forces, moving past Israeli troops, drove
	 into Sabra and Shatilla in search of Palestinian
	 guerrillas and in over 36 terrible hours killed
	 hundreds of people, including many women and children.
	 Some accused the Israelis, in effect, of aiding and
	 abetting the massacre...

	"But you don't hear the moralists now. They aren't
	 blaming the Syrian defense minister. They aren't
	 asking for a commission of inquiry in Damascus. They
	 aren't heaping on the head of President Assad the
	 kind of hateful language they leveled at Prime Minister
	 Begin. And they appear to take no notice whatsoever
	 of the fact that Syria's brutal consolidation of
	 its hegemony in Lebanon is taking place under cover
	 provided by Moscow. After a while it makes one wonder
	 whether it was the deaths of innocent Palestinians
	 that was worrying the moralists to begin with, or
	 the possibility of a Western victory."

(Wall Street Journal, May 30/85, "Deafening Silence". Ref. CJN 27/6/85 p.2)

Yes, there's a double standard. It's quite visible in Mr. Bhatt's
misleading accusations.

Dave Sherman
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave