[net.politics] more points of information

lkk@teddy.UUCP (07/09/85)

30% of scientists and engineers in the U.S. are employed by the
defence department or military contracters.

90-95% of engineers in europe and japan are employed by civilian
industry.

70% of every Federal research dollar goes to weapons research.

--

Sport Death,
Larry Kolodney

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (07/09/85)

>/* lkk@teddy.UUCP /  5:51 pm  Jul  8, 1985 */

>30% of scientists and engineers in the U.S. are employed by the
>defence department or military contracters.
>
>90-95% of engineers in europe and japan are employed by civilian
>industry.

So let's stop paying for the defense of Japan and Europe.

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/09/85)

In article <1340278@acf4.UUCP> mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) writes:
>>/* lkk@teddy.UUCP /  5:51 pm  Jul  8, 1985 */
>
>>30% of scientists and engineers in the U.S. are employed by the
>>defence department or military contracters.
>>
>>90-95% of engineers in europe and japan are employed by civilian
>>industry.
>
>So let's stop paying for the defense of Japan and Europe.

Grow up Mike and stop clutching your narrowminded nationalism like it
was your favorite teddy bear. Your comment is almost too worthless to
comment on, but it brings to mind an article I read some years back.

The article said that after world war II, the USA was operating on a WAR
ECONOMY. War economies are very strong. There is a lot of production and
a lot of cconsumption. Unfortunately, you need to have a war, or at
least a strong military initiative. Aparently, the US never changed this
and thus was stuck in it, even until now, therefore military spending is
a necessary part of the national economy. I've also been told that
government spending has a positive effect on the economy. If this is all
true, then we are locked into our spending policies by pinheaded
administrations. Does anyone have any enlightened comment on this?

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (07/11/85)

>/* csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) /  4:25 pm  Jul  9, 1985 */

>>So let's stop paying for the defense of Japan and Europe.

>Grow up Mike and stop clutching your narrowminded nationalism like it
>was your favorite teddy bear.

I'll "grow up . . ." when you can demonstrate that the view I
expressed can be rooted in nothing but nationalism.

>I've also been told that
>government spending has a positive effect on the economy.

Undoubtedly.  But this tells nothing about the net effect.

>Charles Forsythe

						Mike Sykora