[net.politics] Double Standards in American society

bobc@tektools.UUCP (Bob Crane) (07/04/85)

I can't take it any more!  I'm old enough to go fight a war, pay
200 dollars in taxes on my last pay check, and get the death
sentence, but because I'm under 21, I'm not old enough to
buy a glass of beer.

Now (or this year) Reagan is trying to force ALL states to raise
the minimum drinking age to 21 do to pressure from special interest
groups like MADD.

Its true that a major portion of drunk driving accidents come for
23 year and younger folk but how can we put up with these types
of double standards?

Bob Crane
tektronix!tektools!bobc

bill@persci.UUCP (07/05/85)

In article <300@tektools.UUCP> bobc@tektools.UUCP (Bob Crane) writes:
>I can't take it any more!  I'm old enough to go fight a war, pay
>200 dollars in taxes on my last pay check, and get the death
>sentence, but because I'm under 21, I'm not old enough to
>buy a glass of beer.
>
>Now (or this year) Reagan is trying to force ALL states to raise
>the minimum drinking age to 21 do to pressure from special interest
>groups like MADD.
>
>Its true that a major portion of drunk driving accidents come for
>23 year and younger folk but how can we put up with these types
>of double standards?
>
>Bob Crane
>tektronix!tektools!bobc

Bob, re-read your last sentence. Your statement clearly makes it not a
double-standard (pardon the grammar).

I was a victim several years ago of a 'kid' (from a state where he could
legally drink at 18) who celebrated his 19th by going out drinking. The result?
A padded neck-brace for two months (during a heat-wave, too!) and a full year
of constant headache, ranging from mild to near-migraine intensity. I was
lucky! If I'd not installed seatbelts the week before, and been wearing them,
I'd have given a special boost to a certain plot of daisies. He, of course,
didn't get a scratch..

--
Bill Swan 	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

In article <300@tektools.UUCP> bobc@tektools.UUCP (Bob Crane) writes:

>I can't take it any more!  I'm old enough to go fight a war, pay
>200 dollars in taxes on my last pay check, and get the death
>sentence, but because I'm under 21, I'm not old enough to
>buy a glass of beer.

>Now (or this year) Reagan is trying to force ALL states to raise
>the minimum drinking age to 21 do to pressure from special interest
>groups like MADD.

>Its true that a major portion of drunk driving accidents come for
>23 year and younger folk but how can we put up with these types
>of double standards?

Well, you've said it yourself: the evidence indicates that on the average,
an 18 year old isn't old enough to drink.  There's no innate reason why you
should receive all your rights at the same age (after all, driving normally
comes at 15 or 16).

Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/09/85)

In article <300@tektools.UUCP> bobc@tektools.UUCP (Bob Crane) writes:
>I can't take it any more!  I'm old enough to go fight a war, pay
>200 dollars in taxes on my last pay check, and get the death
>sentence, but because I'm under 21, I'm not old enough to
>buy a glass of beer.
>Bob Crane

I know how you feel. Still, I've been thinking about it. States that
raise the drinking age to 21 have proven reductions in drunk driving
deaths; I'm all for that. Also, being near 21, I have lots of friends
who will buy for me (I feel really stupid having to do this). As far as
bars go, I'm a student and can't afford $20 a night for drinks. The only
difficulty I've had is the graduate student pubs here at MIT. Once the
bartender said,"You're a grad student, right?" I said yes and he
believed me because I had been visiting the pub ever since day 1
freshman year. At the other pub, a friend of mine was tending bar and
said, I really can't serve you here anymore without some kind of ID. At
that point, I took out a five dollar bill, wrote my name and a fake date
on it and ordered a pitcher of stout...

Most of the students here are not so complacent (particularly
fraternities). Parties now require liquor licences and are shut down at
1 AM (you know how us nerds get when we're drunk!). MIT capmus police
have the authority to look the other way in these cases, but have chosen
to follow the city of Cambridge. In a meeting with the dean, I mentioned
the stupidity of this "who drives to an MIT party?". The dean assured me
that "next year the campus police have told us they will have a new
attitude." Like hell.

In general, I support the raise (although it affects me), but I don't
understand the current trend of universities to change their policies as
well.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (07/09/85)

scott@hou2g.UUCP (N. Ersha) (07/11/85)

>>Now (or this year) Reagan is trying to force ALL states to raise
>>the minimum drinking age to 21 do to pressure from special interest
>>groups like MADD.

>>Its true that a major portion of drunk driving accidents come for
>>23 year and younger folk but how can we put up with these types
>>of double standards?

>Well, you've said it yourself: the evidence indicates that on the average,
>an 18 year old isn't old enough to drink.  There's no innate reason why you
>should receive all your rights at the same age (after all, driving normally
>comes at 15 or 16).

There sure is (in my opinion) an inate reason: you get all your
responsibilities at that age!  It's completely consistent that
your responsibilities and rights go hand-in-hand.  One should
not come without the other.  Perhaps we should raise the driving
age to 18?

			SJBerry

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (07/12/85)

> I know how you feel. Still, I've been thinking about it. States that
> raise the drinking age to 21 have proven reductions in drunk driving
> deaths; I'm all for that.

Gee, I'll bet that the number of drunk driving deaths could be
reduced still further by raising the drinking age to 75.