[net.politics] Gee, where are they??

arndt@lymph.DEC (06/24/85)

Where are the condemnations in the press or in the net of the:

               - LEFT wing death squads in El Salvador

               - The killings of PLO women and children in their camps
                 by the non-Israeli supported arabs

Gee, is there a message here??!  Naaaaaaa.

Regards,

Ken Arndt

west@sdcsla.UUCP (Larry West) (06/28/85)

( Is anybody besides me reading Ken's articles anymore?   I stopped   )
( reading most of the newsgroups he posts to last year, just started  )
( in net.politics again.   No one else seems to be responding to him, )
( and I'm wondering whether this is because he always says the same   )
( things, and poorly, or has everyone just decided that he brings     )
( nothing positive to any discussion?				      )

In article <2845@decwrl.UUCP> arndt@lymph.WRIST writes:->

>Where are the condemnations in the press or in the net of the:
>
>               - LEFT wing death squads in El Salvador
>
>               - The killings of PLO women and children in their camps
>                 by the non-Israeli supported arabs

Try the New York Times for one.   I don't think anyone needs to
be told that death squads are bad.   The point of stressing the
Reagan-sponsored terrorism in Nicaragua is that:

	1) The administration seriously misrepresents the situation;
	   E.g., Mr. Reagan has made a public pronouncement to the effect
	   that the United States is directly threatened by Nicaragua.
	   This indicates he either is very deluded, or he is trying to
	   delude the the citizens of the U.S.
	2) The administration has been ignoring the efforts of the
	   Catholic Church and the Contadora group.
	3) The U.S. is shooting itself in the foot politically.   Do
	   you think the U.S. can treat Latin-American attempts at
	   self-determination so callously without some long-term
	   repurcussions?

More to the presumed point of your article, the people in the "leftist
death squads" in El Salvador are not going to listen to us (whether or
not they're directed by Nicaragua or the USSR or merely by their own
beliefs).   We pay, train, and arm the terrorists in Nicaragua --
which means we have some control over their actions.

As for the strife in Lebanon, I take it you are complaining about
the relative quiet compared to Israel's invasion?   The reason is
that the U.S. has a large influence on Israel's policies.   (No,
Israel does not always do what the U.S. wants -- that's not what I
said.)   We have no influence whatsoever on either side in the
present (recent?) Lebanese conflict.   It's bad business, but what's
the point of going on about it if you can't do anything?

>Gee, is there a message here??!  Naaaaaaa.

Yeah, there is a message.   The message is to discuss those issues
which are relevant to the readers/discussants.

--

Larry West			Institute for Cognitive Science
(USA+619-)452-6220		UC San Diego (mailcode C-015) [x6220]

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (06/28/85)

--
> Where are the condemnations in the press or in the net of the:
>
>                - LEFT wing death squads in El Salvador
>
>                - The killings of PLO women and children in their camps
>                  by the non-Israeli supported arabs
>

> Gee, is there a message here??!  Naaaaaaa.
>
> Ken Arndt

It seems to take a critical mass of news to inspire appropriate
outrage.  The leftist terrorists in El Salvador can't hold a
candle to the rightist ones in the body count dept.  Perhaps if
they were armed and trained as well...

As for the PLO, it's clear that if there's one group in the Mid-East
despised more than the Jews, it's the Palestinians.  No one cares
what happens to the Palestinians--unless it was caused by Jews.

So Ken, you've noticed the distinct anti-Jewish bias to the media?
Well, so much for claims that the Jews own said media.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

bill@persci.UUCP (07/01/85)

In article <480@ihu1m.UUCP> gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) writes:
>> Where are the condemnations in the press or in the net of the:
>>                - LEFT wing death squads in El Salvador
>>                - The killings of PLO women and children in their camps
>>                  by the non-Israeli supported arabs
>> Gee, is there a message here??!  Naaaaaaa.
>> Ken Arndt
>
>It seems to take a critical mass of news to inspire appropriate
>outrage.  The leftist terrorists in El Salvador can't hold a
>candle to the rightist ones in the body count dept.  Perhaps if
>they were armed and trained as well... [...]
>
>ken perlow
>..ihnp4!iwsl8!ken

It especially takes a heavy mass of news to overcome the bias of the press,
Ken. Perhaps you don't observe it because you have the same bias.
--
Bill Swan 	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (07/09/85)

> It seems to take a critical mass of news to inspire appropriate
> outrage.  The leftist terrorists in El Salvador can't hold a
> candle to the rightist ones in the body count dept.  Perhaps if
> they were armed and trained as well...

I read a couple years ago an estimate of political murders in El
Salvador compiled by one of the human rights groups.  I recall that
the leftists killed about 2/3 the number of the so-called rightists.
The leftists in El Salvador are no group to form a human rights
cheering section for.

> As for the PLO, it's clear that if there's one group in the Mid-East
> despised more than the Jews, it's the Palestinians.  No one cares
> what happens to the Palestinians--unless it was caused by Jews.
>
> So Ken, you've noticed the distinct anti-Jewish bias to the media?
> Well, so much for claims that the Jews own said media.
> ken perlow       *****   *****

Perhaps the media have this funny idea that we should be supporting
decent people; maybe that's why they are so outraged about Israel's
depravity.

mms1646@acf4.UUCP (Michael M. Sykora) (07/11/85)

>/* cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) /  6:22 pm  Jul  8, 1985 */

>Perhaps the media have this funny idea that we should be supporting
>decent people; maybe that's why they are so outraged about Israel's
>depravity.

I suspect the media dislikes Israel because they are no longer seen as the
underdog in need of "liberation."  Also, the media seems to feel that
military solutions are inappropriate for political problems, and they see
Israel's actions as providing evidence against this thesis.

If Isreal is "depraved," what would you call the other states in the
Middle East?

						Mike Sykora

gadfly@ihu1m.UUCP (Gadfly) (07/13/85)

[Me]
> > It seems to take a critical mass of news to inspire appropriate
> > outrage.  The leftist terrorists in El Salvador can't hold a
> > candle to the rightist ones in the body count dept.  Perhaps if
> > they were armed and trained as well...
[Cramer]
> I read a couple years ago an estimate of political murders in El
> Salvador compiled by one of the human rights groups.  I recall that
> the leftists killed about 2/3 the number of the so-called rightists.
> The leftists in El Salvador are no group to form a human rights
> cheering section for.

Agreed.  It would be interesting to get more up-to-date figures,
you know--a couple a years is a lot of bodies under the bridge.

> > As for the PLO, it's clear that if there's one group in the Mid-East
> > despised more than the Jews, it's the Palestinians.  No one cares
> > what happens to the Palestinians--unless it was caused by Jews.
> >
> > So Ken, you've noticed the distinct anti-Jewish bias to the media?
> > Well, so much for claims that the Jews own said media.

> Perhaps the media have this funny idea that we should be supporting
> decent people; maybe that's why they are so outraged about Israel's
> depravity.

Oh Clayton, anti-Semitism does not become you at all.  The strife
visited on the Palestinians has come mostly from other Arab regimes,
many of whom--Jordan, for example--the US supports.  And as I said,
when Arabs kill Palestinians, nobody cares.  So it is interesting
that the standards America has set for Israel's geopolitical conduct are
altogether different than those held for any other countries, including
our own.  When we arm terrorists in Nicaragua, well, we're just
protecting our interests.  When Israel arms a faction in Lebanon--
a country on which they border and with which they are still quite
formally at war--all of a sudden it's depravity.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (07/19/85)

> >/* cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) /  6:22 pm  Jul  8, 1985 */
>
> >Perhaps the media have this funny idea that we should be supporting
> >decent people; maybe that's why they are so outraged about Israel's
> >depravity.
>
> I suspect the media dislikes Israel because they are no longer seen as the
> underdog in need of "liberation."  Also, the media seems to feel that
> military solutions are inappropriate for political problems, and they see
> Israel's actions as providing evidence against this thesis.
>
> If Isreal is "depraved," what would you call the other states in the
> Middle East?
>
> 						Mike Sykora

Even worse.