[net.politics] Response flambe' for guns

csdf@mit-vax.UUCP (Charles Forsythe) (07/20/85)

DON BLACK writes:
>     I sure would like to see some statistics about how many muggers have SHOT
>people in Cambridge over the past couple of years.  More than likely, a
>Cambridge mugger will use a knife over a handgun.

Likelihoods never seem to appear when you need them. I know three
individuals who have been mugged in Cambridge -- all at gunpoint. The
MIT newspaper "The Tech" has yet to report a mugging of a student that
did not involve firearms. Three years ago two students were shot to
death on the Harvard Bridge. Last year a student was shot and wounded
critically in Kenmore Square (in Boston).

Local statistics I don't have, but 60% of all murders nationwide are
commited with guns.

>     If we look closely at this Act, we find that it was pushed through the
>legislature under pressure from the Hero of Chappaquiddick.

This is a stupid, cheap shot.

>     Just for your own education, why don't you try applying for a handgun
>permit with the Cambridge police.  Tell them you want a permit for the
>purpose of protection of life and property, while travelling and camping
>in wilderness areas.  I'll bet money they reject the application.

I don't need a gun to protect myself in Cambridge and I'd rather have a
rifle in the wilderness.

>     The rattlesnakes in Cambridge walk on two legs.  (Somehow I have a
>complex about walking around Central and Kendall Square alone after dark.)

Good. You might run into me and I might take your gun away and shoot you
for fun. :-)

>     4)  Only free men own guns.

You forgot to mention murderers.

>>"The Church of Fred has yet to come under attack...."
>>        -Rev. Wang Zeep
>
>     It would seem that the Church of Fred doesn't have a steeple to stand on.

No, but we are very well armed. Not handguns, though! No siree! Fred
does not condone them. We must only use rubber bands, water balloons and
M16's with teflon coated bullets!

I'm honestly convinced you're a fascist, Don, but don't take it
personally or anything.

--
Charles Forsythe
CSDF@MIT-VAX