[net.politics] Greenpeace Foundation - contacts

jad@harpo.UUCP (jad) (07/15/85)

 From: The Yearbook of International Organizations, 21st Edition,
       1984/85, published by K.G. Saur Munchen, New York-London-Paris,

   "Greenpeace Foundation
    Contact: Fort Mason, Building E, San Francisco, CA 94123 USA
             T. (415) 474-6767.
    Contact: 2007 R Street NW, Washington, D.C. 20009 USA
             T. (202) 332-4042.
    Contact: 36 Garham Street, London, W1 2JX, UK.
    Contact: 98 Damrak, Amsterdam, Netherlands.

    Founded 1971, in order to take active measures in aid of endangered
    species and against forces destroying the quality of the environment.
    Activities Monitors various conditions of environmental concern includ-
    ing radioactive and toxic waste dumping, acid rain, and comprehensive
    test banfor nuclear weapons. Publications Greenpeace Chronicles
    (monthly); Greenpeace Examiner (quarterly)."

 Now there is one more reason (perhaps the gravest reason) why caring people
 everywhere should support Greenpeace. To discourage the murdering fiends
 who have attacked Greenpeace, it is necessary to demonstrate to them that
 their atrocity will strengthen Greenpeace and it's causes. If we care
 enough to save lives, we will act. Otherwise, the assassins may well strike
 again.

jad@harpo.UUCP (jad) (07/17/85)

 I was recently saddened by the atrocious attack upon the Greenpeace ship,
 The Rainbow Warrior. One Greenpeace member was murdered in that attack.
 I phoned Greenpeace USA to find out if a reward fund has been established
 to facilitate the apprehension of the murderers. They told me that there is
 no reward fund, but that they have established a fund to finance the salvag-
 ing of The Rainbow Warrior. I am sending them a contribution with the sug-
 gestion that they establish a reward fund too. When the saboteurs are caught
 and severely punished, that will be a deterrent against future attacks.

bill@persci.UUCP (07/18/85)

In article <2729@harpo.UUCP> jad@harpo.UUCP (jad) writes:
> [...]
> Now there is one more reason (perhaps the gravest reason) why caring people
> everywhere should support Greenpeace. To discourage the murdering fiends
> who have attacked Greenpeace, it is necessary to demonstrate to them that
> their atrocity will strengthen Greenpeace and it's causes. If we care
> enough to save lives, we will act. Otherwise, the assassins may well strike
> again.

Pardon me for what I'm about to say. Please note that I, like (I suppose) any
reasonably rational human not economically involved otherwise, share many of
the goals expressed by Greenpeace. This group has done valuable work..

..however, this latest development makes me just a little uncomfortable. When
I was on a university campus and not in the "real world", I observed a lot of
the operations of the professional protest groups, of many flavours, and most
with reasonable (expressed) goals. Their methods were often not so honourable.

For example, in one protest, I saw the leaders running around *behind* the
crowd, starting chants, shouting encouragements, and generally egging them
on. When the police arrived and started making (mass) arrests, these leaders
were nowhere to be found, not until the paddy wagons were full. Guess who
re-appeared to cheer them on? ..and who got the police records and who didn't?

It was interesting to observe how a group would be active for a while, then,
when things started to become quiet again, some new atrocity would be found
to fan the flames. The technique is old, and has been used by many groups over
the world. Hitler had some spectacular successes with it.

I am not accusing the leadership of Greenpeace for deliberately sabotaging
their own ship, nor do I believe that they would murder one of their own
(photographers). Yet, it seems that their support has been waning (out of
disinterest), and their coffers emptying. It would take only one mis-guided
individual to decide to correct this state of affairs by drastic action. Why
this mysterious note from the "Vietnam vets of Australia"? Why would they
have anything against Greenpeace?

Something is very fishy here, and the reaction from "jad", whatever his name
really is, is exactly what I would expect in a scenario such as I've outlined
above.
--
Bill Swan 	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill
       "Youse pays yer money, and youse takes yer chances."

bobn@bmcg.UUCP (Bob Nebert) (07/24/85)

>  I was recently saddened by the atrocious attack upon the Greenpeace ship,
>  The Rainbow Warrior. One Greenpeace member was murdered in that attack.
>  I phoned Greenpeace USA to find out if a reward fund has been established
>  to facilitate the apprehension of the murderers. They told me that there is
>  no reward fund, but that they have established a fund to finance the salvag-
>  ing of The Rainbow Warrior. I am sending them a contribution with the sug-
>  gestion that they establish a reward fund too. When the saboteurs are caught
>  and severely punished, that will be a deterrent against future attacks.

] Do you mean to say that a orginization created to save the furry critters
] of the world has established a fund to salvage a rustbucket but a mere
] human's family is s**t out of luck.
]
]                                        Bob
]                                     sdcsvax!bmcg!bobn